News: In theaters now: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES: Audience Reaction 5: The Humor  (Read 6865 times)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: September 27, 2004, 11:34:21 PM »

I think it became part of a political and social statement on the art of spitting. I think it's a very nasty habit, myself, and I wouldn't recommend it. It puts you in a very bad mood. This character, because of his wartime experiences, was not necessarily in a chipper mood--it seemed to go well with his character, and then, also, you could make comments on things. He'd spit on a mouse or rat or a dog. I just incorporated it because it was a great item out of the book. There was one called Day's Work and, boy, that was the toughest stuff in the world. If you had a tough scene and you were sure there could only be one take or so, then you could take a shot of Day's Work. If it was a scene where you needed multiple takes, then you'd move back to Red Man. And then if it's a scene where you have a lot of takes and a lot of angles, and you have to shoot over and over again, then you'd stick with Beech Nut. (Grins) Now don't send me a case of Beech Nut now because I don't want it. I don't really use the stuff. You'd be wasting it. (Laughs)
(Clint Eastwood from the 1999 documentary Hell Hath No Fury: The Making of The Outlaw Josey Wales)

Some of the more humorous moments of the film are those that feature Josey's tobacco spitting. What are some of the other touches of humor that you enjoyed in the film? List those moments, quotes, or mannerisms that you found funny and that added to your enjoyment of the film.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 12:30:22 AM by mgk » Logged
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 09:28:16 PM »

When I watch Josey and hear the humor and the jokes they always make me laugh.  It's a more educated type of humor, it's not the slapstick "right turn Clyde" humor that is sometimes in Clint's films, and I think the humor is what makes the film better.  The writing is smart and witty and tops off the film nice not making it a completely serious movie, but a serious movie with a good feeling.  

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 05:41:13 AM »

I recently bought the "new" Josey Wales dvd (the one with the documentaries not included in it's initial release) and watched both doc's and the movie.  Being a sick individual, I decided to count just how many times Josey spits...

1.  camp (during Fletcher's speech)
  2.  camp
  3.  camp
  4.  before the ferry ride
  5.  on the salesman's jacket ("How's it with stains?")
  6.  shoots rope ("...the Missouri boat ride.")
  7.  dead man ("...buzzard gotta eat, same as worms.")
  8.  scorpion (Lone Watie's 'Endeavor to persevere' speech)
  9.  floor/trading post
10.  dead man @ trading post
11.  dog ("mangy redboned hound")
12.  in town ("nasty habit young fella, you live in a barn?")
13.  outside store ("you gonna pull those pistols or whistle dixie?")
14.  bug ("how about the one on the right?")
15.  atop hill ("those poor pilgrims from Kansas")
16.  dog
17.  before rescuing pilgrims ("now, spit")
18.  spitoon in The Lost Lady saloon
19.  dog (misses)
20.  facing Ten Bears

*Josey almost spits inside the pilgrim's ranch, but swallows ("didn't figure you for a loafer")

I described each instance with a quote or location for reference.  I'm pretty sure I've got them all.  If I've missed any, let me know.  ;D

As far as the humour goes... well, it's not a comedy but I agree with Chessie that the elements of humour present does help to make it a very good film.  There are spots where you can't help but giggle and one that comes to mind, perhaps the best example, is Ten Bear's response to Josey's proposal when he says, "Then so shall it be (life)."  Josey then says, "I reckon so."  It's a great scene in that these two men who have been living as warriors choose to live together instead of killing.  I know when Josey responds with, "I reckon so." it's not meant to be funny but I can't help but chuckle.  
Most likely it has to do with the day and age we live in where you don't hear people say that... except for me when I think of it because I love that expression!  

I reckon so.  ;D
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:00:42 PM »

Lone Watie's "endeavor to persevere" speech  ;D  ;D

Josey's joke about Kansas ...

Lone Watie's line "All I have is a piece of hard candy. But it's not for eating, it's for looking through."

And of course the spitting thing ... especially the reaction of Granny to this "nasty habit" + when he has to swallow it !!

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for himů" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
bcm

Not all those who wander are lost

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 03:20:38 PM »

Some of the more humorous moments of the film are those that feature Josey's tobacco spitti

I disagree (as usual). Due to my different cultural background (people don't spit tobacco around where I live)  I never thought the spitting funny. I find it interesting, symbolic for his anger, but not funny. Actually, I find it pretty  gross (sp?). But bear in mind that I don't live in the US.

The scenes I smile while watching are the scenes with Lone Watie. How this old man who has seen so many injustices happen to his people and family can still smile! One scene I particularly like is when he says:
I didn't surrender either. But they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas, I'll bet.
It does sound funny when you hear it, and it makes you smile. But he actually says something very sad, when you think about it.

"He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home: and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace" Sam, TTT, written by JRR Tolkien, 1954
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 03:27:41 PM »

What do they do with the tobacco juice then? Swallow? ;)

It's funny because he spits on the poor dog or the salesman. Yes, it's gross too, we Americans can even see that. ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 06:42:22 PM »

Yes, it's gross too, we Americans can even see that. ;)

;D
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 06:44:56 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the Clint Eastwood Westerns forum.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 07:04:29 PM by Matt » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T