News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which sunglasses in "The Enforcer" (not Balorama)  (Read 15731 times)
Brightsun

View Profile Email
« on: June 18, 2007, 12:01:24 PM »

Nice forum.

I have worn Balorama sunglasses since 1980. They are quite simply the best! When I started wearing them, I hadn't seen any Dirty Harry films but recognised them straight away when I went to see "Dirty Harry" and was pleasantly surprised to see that Mr Eastwood had such good taste! The G-15 lenses are the best ones ever made, in my opinion. They give such great contrast and make cumulous clouds into bubbling wads of 3D cotton balls and bring super 3D quality to trees and landscapes in general.

In the "top 100 things to do before I die" list should certainly be...OWN SOME G15 LENSES!!!

erm... I really don't work for B&L, honest. I had a question. Oh yes...

Harry doesn't wear Baloramas in "The Enforcer". He wears a pair of heavyset Ray Bans with tortoiseshell rims. They also have G15 lenses but I've forgotton which model they are.

Does anyone know the model name?

I've been hunting around on the internet for a long time now and can't find any reference to them.

An answer is much appreciated. Thanks.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:40:55 PM »

Hi, Brightsun (good name for someone who loves shades!), and welcome to the Board.  8)

I don't know the answer to your question, but here's a thread where we discussed this very issue. There are some good captures in there, maybe that will help!

The Enforcer Shades

We also had this much older discussion on Harry's sunglasses in all his films. Unfortunately, most of the pictures are now gone, but it might be interesting reading also:

The sunglasses
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:03:51 AM »

Harry doesn't wear Baloramas in "The Enforcer". He wears a pair of heavyset Ray Bans with tortoiseshell rims. They also have G15 lenses but I've forgotton which model they are.

Does anyone know the model name?

I've been hunting around on the internet for a long time now and can't find any reference to them.

An answer is much appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the board brightsun...

We have been looking the identity of those glasses as well.  The Enforcer Shades had been quite a mystry for as long as I've been a member of this board.  So brightsun, are you saying that the Enforcer Shades are indeed Ray Ban's of some sort? 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:05:03 AM by D'Ambrosia » Logged
Brightsun

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 12:38:51 AM »

Hmm. Still a mystery then.

I'm kicking myself because I saw a pair for sale on eBay last Christmas and put a bid on but wasn't at home when the auction finished and someone put on a higher bid. I think they went for about 50 if I remember right.

I should have made a note of the model but just took it for granted that I'd be able to find the info again easily.

When I first saw "The Enforcer" (First UK release, Holoway Odeon, London 1977) I thought that they were the heavy rimmed "Olympian" model but I was wrong. They are not this model so at least we can rule that out which is a start.

They are most certainly Ray Bans and they do have the famous Green/Grey G-15 lenses.

Incidentally, for anyone whi is interested, I'm pretty sure the Baloramas first appeared in 1960. They were the first "wrap-rounds" and at the time they must have seemed like something from a different planet.

They always had a special appeal and never achieved the mass market that the Wayfarer and Aviator enjoyed. The Wayfarer and Aviator are the most copied models of sunglasses and all three models are design classics.

Ray Ban now make so many different models it's unreal! They are all well made but expensive. I personally wouldn't pay such a lot of money for a design that wasn't "classic".

One major difference between real vintage Ray Bans and modern ones is that the newer ones (since the birth of materialism, designer labels, Gloria Vanderbilt etc in the 80's) have prominent branding. Most Ray Bans today have logos on the lenses and/or arms. Originally they just had a tasteful "B&L" etched into the glass and a model number on the inside of one of the arms.

While it is certainly true that some other manufacturers make some nice looking shades, only B&L make sunglasses with the G-15 lenses and it is these lenses, to my mind, which really make the difference. Cumulous clouds turn into slow moving suspended cotton buds and trees are given an extra dimention of contrast. On a bright day, contrast is lost but the G-15s seem to resore good contrast while at the same time not significantly cutting down the brightness. There is nothing worse than wearing cheap sunglasses that just turn sunlight into a 40 watt bulb!

Anyhow. Still looking for that model name. With perseverence I'm sure we'll crack it.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 12:06:14 PM »

Good to have someone back on the detective trail!  Thanks for the info, Brightsun.
Brightsun

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 01:11:44 PM »

OK...

According to an eBay sunglasses collector/seller they are "style 'A' Traditionals with no model number." This was an answer to my question to seller.

He was selling a pair and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't bid enough and lost them!

The auction page is at this URL
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200111427388&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D200111427388%26fvi%3D1

I'm still looking for a pair. I'm short and chubby but I just know that when I put on a pair, I will instantly be well built and 6 foot three! (hehehe lol)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T