News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint on Prime Time Wednesday Night!  (Read 4304 times)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: January 25, 2004, 07:22:52 PM »

Tagline for this weeks 60 Minutes II:

60 Minutes II took its hidden camera on a recent shopping trip, and discovered that a lot of America's most popular brands are fake.
Plus, Clint Eastwood and a behind-the-scenes look at NFL Films.
Next on 60 Minutes II, Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

Interview to be conducted by Morley Safer...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/05/24/60II/main48284.shtml

8)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 07:23:48 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 07:30:24 PM »

Thanks, D'Amb. Nice picture too ...

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 07:29:31 PM »

Anyone happen to catch this?  I was working.... >:(
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 08:06:31 PM »

I missed it.   :-[

But, there is a story on the CBS News website that includes a transcription, or partial transcription. There's also a link to a minute and a half video excerpt, "Clint: Life as a Director" (part of it is a "flashback" that shows Clint on the set of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil in 1997), and to a rather nice photo essay, "The Many Faces of Clint," featuring our hero as captured by the camera from 1955 to 2004.

Here are a couple of excerpts from the interview:
Clint Eastwood
Jan. 28, 2004

Like Jimmy Cagney, Humphrey Bogart and John Wayne before him, the characters Clint Eastwood has played in the movies are part of the American culture.

But most people tend to forget that he is also one of America’s finest directors.

We were reminded again Tuesday, when Eastwood received two Academy Award nominations – best director and best motion picture -- for his behind-the-scenes work in his latest film, “Mystic River.”

He has already won Oscars in both of those categories in 1992 for “Unforgiven.”

After half-a-century in the movie business, it’s difficult to think of an honor he hasn’t received. The most surprising thing is, however, that he keeps improving with age. Correspondent Steve Kroft sits down with Eastwood again for a 60 Minutes classic.

... “I remember having a phone conversation with you last spring. And I asked you what you were doing, and you said, ‘I just finished this movie," Kroft tells Eastwood. “You told me it was this thing, ‘Mystic River.’ And I asked you how it went, and you said, ‘Best thing I've ever done.’"

“I'm my own reviewer,” says Eastwood, laughing. “I think it was as good -- I think it went together well. In other words, when you make a movie, there’s only one person you really have to satisfy, and that’s yourself. Did it come out like you intended? Did you accomplish your goal?”

Does he consider himself a better actor or director?

“I don't consider myself too much. I try to avoid that whenever possible,” says Eastwood. “I think at this point in life, I’m probably a better director because I'm more interested in it.”

... There are dimensions to the man not evident in the screen roles he has chosen for himself. Besides acting, directing and producing, Eastwood is also a musician who has composed the themes to nine of his films.

“I just kind of started jotting down things, and then eventually, I'd get an idea on the way to location,” says Eastwood, while playing the piano. “It [music] can set the tone, set the mood. It can have a melancholy thing. Or it can have drama, a dramatic feel. It can set the tone, like the tune to ‘Mystic River’ can be kind of a melancholy thing. You can kind of make it as dramatic or whatever you want.

... Surrounded by his passions, enjoying his family and still making movies that build on his legacy, Eastwood, at 73, says life is getting better all the time.

“I’ve got Dina Ruiz as my lady in command. She’s one of the greatest things that ever happened to me,” says Eastwood. “I get to play golf with people like yourself who come to town and go out and enjoy an outing at golf. It's nice.”

Is this the happiest he's ever been?

“Yeah,” says Eastwood. “Without a doubt.”

© MMIII, CBS Worldwide Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Also, on the main page for 60 Minutes II, there is a link to another brief video called "60 Minutes II: Next." Don't know how much longer this will be there, but right now it features another brief excerpt from the Eastwood interview:

STEVE CROFT: Is this the happiest you've ever been?

EASTWOOD: Yeah. Without a doubt.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 08:13:27 PM by KC » Logged
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 10:28:50 PM »

I was able to catch it on the west coast channels, and I must say it was very good.

I liked when Croft asked him about composing music for his films and Clint mentioned how the three notes in the Mystic River score represent Sean, Dave and Jimmy. That was interesting and something I didn't think of before.

I also liked the footage of Clint with his wife and daughter on a beach in Monteray I believe it was. It was nice to see that side of Clint.

They also showed footage from the previous interview where Croft asked him about his kids... I would not have liked to be Croft when he asked that.  :o The response from Clint was very intimidating and a little scary. But it was sort of a very personal question and Clint's response was understandable.

The whole segment was very interesting and it even made me a little jealous that I won't ever be able to be on film set with him and see how he works. That would be the greatest gift of them all.  8)

Tim Robbins said it best, Clint you are the man.  ;) :)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 10:37:15 PM »

Man, I'm kidda bummed that I missed it... :-[

Interview to be conducted by Morley Safer...

I must have been misinformed....  My bad...

Thanks for your reviews KC and Brenden...  

Anyone else happen to catch it?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 10:26:11 AM »

Did anyone happen to tape this show who has the ability to make a copy of the tape? I know someone who would really, really like one. Please PM me or send an e-mail if you can help.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 11:23:52 AM »

cool - yeh thanx really interesting

i don't understand why they don't have the interviews  a little longer on the site cus it doesn't cost them anything

one amazing guy
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 02:23:42 PM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
Joey

Sally knows only too well...

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 09:01:23 PM »

I didn't manage to catch the interview, but I just found what I thnk is the complete transcript for the Australian clone interview:

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/stories/2004_02_29/story_1043.asp
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T