News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TAG, you're it!  (Read 116378 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2003, 08:06:13 PM »

TAGGING....

Doug:  While on a trip to San Francisco, the infamous aliens that got Agent and Lilly abduct you.  Once upon their spaceship, they explain their master plan.... to figure out what makes Eastwood so admired by men and women alike and to create an entire civilization of "Eastwoodites".  How would you answer them?

I'd tell them "Good luck, but one thing about Clint is he's an individualist, so how are you going to create a bunch of Eastwoodites?  Don't be surprised if they start rebelling and doing the opposite of what you expect or want."  

With that said, I'd give them this list:

1. Have a sense of humor.

2. Have loyalty toward your friends, and don’t talk trash about those who hate you or are jealous of you.   (Take it to court if you truly feel wronged -- or sock in the jaw... :D)

3. Say what you need to, but otherwise let your actions speak for themselves.  Learn to look graceful and in command no matter the situation.

4. Workout, workout, workout – and oh, yeah, take vitamins, and look good in a uniform, and with sunglasses, look good with or without a beard (for the men) and while riding a motorcycle.
5. Do what you believe in, no matter how many critics tell you not to.

6. Learn how to deliver a one-liner.

7. Learn how to squint, do a double-take, and not make wasted movements.

8. Take risks.

9. Kick butt.

10. Be tall, lean, ruggedly handsome, and just so damn cool that nothing else matters.   8)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2003, 08:23:49 PM »

Now for my tags:

Doug: Which Eastwood films do you think will endure? In other words, what Eastwood movies do you still think people will be watching and talking about in film circles 25 years from now?

I honestly think most of his movies will endure, only because it's Clint Eastwood.  But some I'm sure will become more obscure.  

What will definitely endure...
the Spaghetti Westerns and the westerns he directed.

Dirty Harry

the "ape movies"

The Bridges of Madison County

Where Eagles Dare

Other than that and I'm just picking what I think are his best movies.  The westerns and Dirty Harry are the core of Clint's filmography.  At least Every Which Way But Loose will also endure because of its lighthearted appeal.  Bridges because a great romance is hard to find and this is a good one.  And I Where Eagles Dare has long been a classic, and I think it's a movie that will always have an audience among film buffs, war movie fans, and fans of cool, action-oriented movies.  It will always be around, however much technology and cgi effects take over the action genre.  There's a lot of his movies that should endure, and a lot of movies I hope endure, but let's face it, there's kids out there now who don't know Clint and don't care.  A hundred years from now, people will have new heroes.  But just as Bogart has endured, so will Clint -- but I do hope some of his better movies (like Tightrope and A Perfect World) are still shown and appreciated a hundred plus years from now.  

I've lost count on tags, so I'll fake it.  Back in a minute.

[I just noticed you said 25 years -- I was thinking in terms of 100 years.  I'm almost inclined to think he will be talked about more in 25 years than he is now -- at least amongst those who are serious about film.  Which movies of his that are"talked about" and by whom 25 years from now may very well impact which additional movies other than what I mentioned are remembered generations later.]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 08:59:59 PM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2003, 08:47:34 PM »

Tags:

Matt: You've seen some of Clint's "pre" movies and episodes from Rawhide ... how much of the Clint persona do you see in those?

KC: Personal question: Do you have any Clint memorabila out in your house/apartment or adorning your computer (i.e. wallpaper, sounds...)?  (And what, if you don't mind answering?)

dannyman891115: How did you come to like Clint Eastwood?

CalGal: What is your favorite movie of Clint's since 1980?

TheStranger: What is you favorite "frivolous" Clint movie -- you know, one without much in the way of artistic aspirations?  It's just a fun movie you like.

Brendan: What young actor (under thirty-five) do you think comes the closest to matching Clint in his acting style?  

« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 08:50:42 PM by Doug » Logged

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #223 on: June 17, 2003, 08:58:40 PM »

Brendan: What young actor (under thirty-five) do you think comes the closest to matching Clint in his acting style?  

HUGH JACKMAN!!  ;D

No, seriously though, thats a hard one. I cant really answer that one. Theres no young actor of today that really captures the sublteness of Clints performances. Clint can just stand there and put an exspression on his face and you know whats going on by that. Theres really no young actor of today that can do that as good as he can.

I suppose if I had to choose it would be Liev Schreiber. The way he played John Clark in The Sum of All Fear was great. The scene he shared with Morgan Freeman in the rain was done very well by him and the way he did his facial exspressions was great.

NEW TAGS:

misty71: What Clint movie do you really want to own and why?

Conan: Would you rather get an all exspensis paid trip to New York City for a week (to not only visit KC) but to co-host the Late Show with Conan O'Brien or would you rather work-out with Clint for one day?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2003, 09:06:56 PM »

Matt: You've seen some of Clint's "pre" movies and episodes from Rawhide ... how much of the Clint persona do you see in those?

None at all.  One of the reasons I give so much credit to Leone for Clint's success is that after all those years of working on a western every day on television... there was nothing "Clint Eastwood-ish" about Rowdy Yates.  To put it succinctly... he was a clod.  

All these years later, you can detect the style and attitude of the Man With No Name in nearly every Eastwood role he would portray since A Fistful of Dollars.  But I can't see any of that persona in anything Clint did prior to working with Leone.  

(Tags-a-comin'!)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 09:08:07 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2003, 09:32:29 PM »

TAGGING...

Maddog_Frenzy:  Which character portrayed by Eastwood is your favorite, and why?

Christopher:  Who is your least favorite villain or adversary in an Eastwood film, and why?
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2003, 09:36:09 PM »

Conan: Would you rather get an all exspensis paid trip to New York City for a week (to not only visit KC) but to co-host the Late Show with Conan O'Brien or would you rather work-out with Clint for one day?

Tough one.  As I idolize both of those guys...The ONLY problem with co-hosting Conan is that I would look like a giant, unfunny idiot as his sidekick - Partly due to the fact that I would be in complete and total awe of his wit and partly because I just don't bring the funny like he does (not many do).  However, meeting Conan and hanging out with him would make my year...Man, I would have a stupid grin on my face for a long time after that.  I have several sketch ideas that I would love to run by him, but I'm sure everyone and his brother does as well  ::)
  Now meeting Clint would be unreal, and working out with him would flat out rock.  I assume we'd talk movies and hopefully exchange workout advice; I'm sure he knows much more about cardiovascular training than I do.  And man I would LOVE to know what his lifting/diet regimen was for the "orangutang movies".  Anyway, I choose "working out with Clint for a day" between those two choices...I would prepare for that workout like it was a hardcore ironman triathalon.

Tags:

The Stranger: What is the best line that The Man With No Name character ever said?

Lilly: Replace the actor that played the bad guy (Scorpio) from "Dirty Harry" with another actor that could do an equal or better job.

maddog_frenzy

Carpe fidelis

View Profile Email
« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2003, 10:27:47 PM »

from Matt  Today at 10:32:29pm
Which character portrayed by Eastwood is your favorite, and why?

Personally, it's a toss-up between Josey Wales and Joe Kidd. Both show some degree of compassion toward the "foreigners," the former toward the old Native American, the latter toward the Mexican. This helps dispel the stereotype of cowboy as xenophobe.

I also get a kick (no pun intended, coming up, wait for it...) out of the selection of weapons each uses, particularly the Sharps (?) rifle Joe Kidd uses to snuff the bad guy on the ridge. I like sniper stuff, as long as the good guys are the snipers. This may explain my Quigley Down Under affiliation (see image associated with my login name, upper left; that's Tom Selick peering through a Sharps sight).

I also like both of these man-WITH-a-name characters because their personas are more human than Eastwood's other nameless characters. But Joe Kidd seems to be the most "regular guy" character, so I'm gonna go with that.

BUT, I ain't seen all of Clint's flicks yet QUIT LAUGHING AT ME

Why do you ask? ;D

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2003, 10:34:30 PM »

aka: what part of clint's film career, if any, would you change and why.

Thanks for the tag Zoso. If you could please do me a favor and bold or do something to offset your tags from the rest of your text so that they can be more easily read, that would be GREAT. It's partly my fault. I saw your question, and waited to answer it, and then a lot of new tags had been generated, so it was difficult to find looking through the pages.

I hate to say this, and I really apologize to everyone who just loved this movie, but really, I think I'm going to say Blood Work . I was looking forward to this movie, thinking it was going to be fabulous, just seeing all the potential in it, and when I saw it, I just wished as if Clint had never made it in the first place. The end product was very disappointing to say the least, and I wish looking back that Clint would have either not done this project at all or done it very differently, put some more effort into it, made better decisions with it, so that it would turn into a better and more enjoyable film for me. As it stands, I think I'd change that movie because that part of his filmography was not one of his high points for me, and it's a project that I really thought I was going to enjoy immensely. I might have a different answer later, but for now, that's what I'd change.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 10:34:54 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2003, 10:37:25 PM »

Maddog-Frenzy, don't forget to tag two members.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2003, 10:42:43 PM »

AKA:  I know you weren't too impressed with Blood Work, but what did you think specifically of Wanda De Jesus as Graciella?  Can you name an actress you think would have done a better job?

You know Matt, this is another one of those mysteries for me when I look at Blood Work and I see how I feel and how you feel and how a select few other people feel, and then I look at the huge disparity between our feelings and those that see so much more in this project than we do, and in particular, see such an effective and genuine, heartfelt, nuanced, subtle, beautiful performance by Wanda De Jesus as Graciella Rivers. Sorry, but I just don't see it. Wanda De Jesus might have just not been up to playing the character in the first place, or perhaps didn't have too much to work with as far as the script goes and the way the character was written, but it was definitely not realized well on screen. I didn't feel as if Graciella Rivers was portrayed well at all. That character could have at least added a lot more emotion and a nice human connection for the viewer so that we could FEEL what she was feeling, appreciate the story on that level, connect with the human interest story, which would have made it far more enjoyable, but I didn't see that happening.

As far as a replacement for her who would have done a better job, I'm not TOO sure. Assuming we want to keep the character Latina and not change the ethnicity of the character to accomodate other actresses, we'd have to keep it within the same age range as well, so it really is tough for me to come up with someone else. Nothing is coming to me now, and I'm not too familiar with Latina actresses in that age range to begin with. Do you have any ideas Matt?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2003, 10:44:20 PM »

Now for my tags:

AKA: You've been selected to handle the release date and schedule of Mystic River. When (date) and how (wide, limited, etc.) do you release Mystic River in theaters to maximize box office and awards potential?

Interesting question. I'll think about that one, MC.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2003, 10:47:16 PM »

Guys, does anyone want to do me a huge favor and tell me if I have any outstanding questions that I haven't answered (I know I still have MC's and Eustressor's), and how many questions I owe from these tags. I'm getting confused, and I know I'm behind on the tagging. Matt, you know how many tags I still owe from all these questions?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2003, 10:49:41 PM »

No, I don't have any other ideas, AKA.  Does anyone?  All member tag! ;)

I agree with everything you said in your post about De Jesus, but you already know that.  I found it to be a very stiff, pedestrian performance, with no heart.  Terrible, terrible casting.  But then again... so was most of the casting in this film.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2003, 10:52:06 PM »

Guys, does anyone want to do me a huge favor and tell me if I have any outstanding questions that I haven't answered (I know I still have MC's and Eustressor's), and how many questions I owe from these tags. I'm getting confused, and I know I'm behind on the tagging. Matt, you know how many tags I still owe from all these questions?

AKA, I've had one foot out the door to go to bed for about half an hour now, so I don't want to go through all these pages and look for your tags.  When you find them all, you'll tag TWO members for the first question you answer tonight, and one member for each of the following questions you answer tonight.  It doesn't matter what night the questions were asked.

Goodnight.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #235 on: June 17, 2003, 10:55:50 PM »

Night, Matt! Some of these questions have been really good. I promise I'll get to them all, and all the new ones that I continue to get asked. I might do it tomorrow though. I'm still feeling really sick, so to go through all those pages and look for the tags now, it just isn't going to happen. Only reason I appealed for help. Maybe I'll do a web board search and get to the tags that way! But, it will have to be another night. I promise I'll try to at least ANSWER all the questions in a more or less timely fashion.
maddog_frenzy

Carpe fidelis

View Profile Email
« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2003, 11:13:19 PM »

Matt barks:
[td]Maddog-Frenzy, don't forget to tag two members. [/td][/table]

The never-ending thread... I'll tag at my earliest convenience. For now, I must whiz on the fire, check on the horses, and pull up a nice, fluffy rock for a little shut-eye (check out this posting time...).

Vi ses!

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #237 on: June 17, 2003, 11:54:06 PM »

KC: You're proficient at several foreign languages. Name one foreign-language director, actor and actress you'd like to see Clint work with.
I don't really keep up with contemporary foreign-language films, so it's hard to pick anyone from the current crop. Also, at this stage of his career, I really don't want to see Eastwood waste his time in other directors' films. He's his own best director ... as I'm sure he knows.

Going back a couple of decades ... it would have been interesting to see what the one-of-a-kind genius of Rainer Werner Fassbinder would have done in collaboration with Eastwood. He liked to take old-fashioned cinematic icons and place them in disturbing new settings.

As for an actor ... I just got the July program of the Film Society of Lincoln Center in the mail and my answer is there. They're doing an Alain Delon retrospective.

Throughout a career spanning almost 50 years and 75 films, Alain Delon has frequently seemed split in two, his daunting grace and disarming beauty barely masking a dark, raging internal world. ... His big break came [in 1959], when René Clement cast him as Tom Ripley in his adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley. ...  As he grew older, and the youthful softness of his features began to harden, Delon became increasingly identified as an actor (and later as a producer, writer and director) with the policier, the crime film. With its penchant for emphasizing the treacherousness of appearances and plots that often hinge on betrayals or sudden revelations, the policier provided the perfect vehicle for Delon to continue to explore the duplicitous persona that has always been at the core of his appeal.

It would be interesting to imagine a match-up of Delon and Eastwood when they both were young and dazzling ... (here is Delon, at right, in the original version of Highsmith's The Talented Mr. Ripley, released in this country as Purple Noon ... )

... but I think it might be even more interesting in the mature phase of their careers. (Here he is in Godard's Nouvelle Vague from 1990 ...)

As for an actress ... Catherine Deneuve. ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 11:57:59 PM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #238 on: June 17, 2003, 11:56:59 PM »

Matt barks:
[td]Maddog-Frenzy, don't forget to tag two members. [/td][/table]

The never-ending thread... I'll tag at my earliest convenience. For now, I must whiz on the fire, check on the horses, and pull up a nice, fluffy rock for a little shut-eye (check out this posting time...).

Vi ses!
Hej då, Swede! ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #239 on: June 18, 2003, 12:19:27 AM »

KC: Personal question: Do you have any Clint memorabila out in your house/apartment or adorning your computer (i.e. wallpaper, sounds...)?  (And what, if you don't mind answering?)
I do have a lot of Clint memorabilia, including some that I treasure highly, but the only thing that's "out" is a minature standee from Unforgiven (William Munny from the poster image) ... that was the first thing I acquired, and it was given to me by the owner of Evergreen Video, one of New York's great video stores, when I went in to browse with a friend one day a few months after the video release. We were about to walk out of the store without renting or buying anything ... but he'd seen the glint in my eye when I asked if the standee was for sale. He called me back with "If you want that little standee, you can have it." That was how it all started ...

As for "adorning my computer," I do have a Clint image (from Bridges) that appears when the machine boots up ... and a "sound scheme" composed of Eastwood sound bites. Also ... a little "gun" cursor I designed that appears for "working in the background." ;)

By the way, Doug, not that it takes anything away from your excellent answer to my tag about books you'd like to see Clint film ... but Highsmith's The Cry of the Owl has already been filmed twice, once by French director Claude Chabrol (Le cri du hibou), and once for German television (Der Schrei der Eule) ... both in 1987.

Getting ... very ... sleepy. Tags (also from yesterday) will come tomorrow ...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2003, 12:22:12 AM by KC » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T