News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU Special Edition May '04  (Read 32947 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2004, 01:39:12 PM »

Congrats Agent and D'Amb! I'm thrilled two of our MVPs (Most Valuable Posters) won!  ;D
;D ;D ;D Ditto!
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2004, 05:58:01 PM »

Enjoy your free DVDs guys!  This is probably the best DVD re-release of a Clint flick ever, at least until an "Unforgiven" SE DVD comes out with deleted scenes and an alternate ending :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 05:58:32 PM by Conan » Logged

Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2004, 07:23:48 PM »

Enjoy your free DVDs guys!  This is probably the best DVD re-release of a Clint flick ever, at least until an "Unforgiven" SE DVD comes out with deleted scenes and an alternate ending :)

Doesn't this one suit you?  ;D

Amazon DVD Link

Well there are no deleted scenes.....or an alternate ending

Guess you'll have to keep waiting.   :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 07:31:13 PM by Dannyman » Logged

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2004, 07:31:49 PM »

No deleted scenes or alternate endings on there; those are the only extras I really like.
  Still, I was asleep with the switch when that one came out - I didn't even know it existed!  Thanks Danny.

Hehe, I just bought it off Ebay.  I now vaguely remember people talking about the Maverick extra on the board.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 07:36:36 PM by Conan » Logged

Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2004, 08:12:17 PM »

How much did you pay for it?

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2004, 08:47:22 PM »

« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 08:48:08 PM by Conan » Logged

Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2004, 08:50:57 PM »

That's a pretty good price compared to Amazon.

-Danny

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2004, 10:08:22 PM »

There IS an alternate ending, or at least there was, but I don't think Eastwood wants anyone to see it, ever ...  ;)
Washingtonian

I get the wrong idea only when it suits me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2004, 11:58:30 PM »

That Unforgiven Special edition has Clint on Maverick.

Also, it has a pretty good documentary on it.
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2004, 05:55:03 AM »

Thanks for the congrats everyone - and thanks Cal.

Hey D'Amb, pretty good deal, eh?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 05:58:59 AM by Agent » Logged

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Aline

Email
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2004, 07:30:22 AM »

Congratulations DAmbrosia and Agent!Lucky guys! ;)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2004, 06:24:14 PM »

Yeah Agent, the price is nice but I truly can't wait.  I had to stick in the old GBU last night just 'cause I couldn't handle waiting a whole week for it to get to me from Cal...   ;)  I did thank him through e-mail and thanks everybody else who congradulated the winners.

I wonder what our next film disscussion will be.  I may have to lobby to the mods on having it be GBU... ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 06:24:56 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2004, 06:42:03 PM »

I wonder what our next film disscussion will be.  I may have to lobby to the mods on having it be GBU... ;D

Its a legit request, since the movie is not quite the same with the extra footage.  I honestly haven't watched my copy yet; pretty soon though when I get a good 3 hour uninterrupted stretch I'll check it out.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 06:43:51 PM by Conan » Logged

Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2004, 08:36:39 AM »

Well I received my DVD yesterday (thanks again Cal) -

and only had time to skim thru parts of it so far. I really wanted to check out some of the added scenes with overdubs by Clint and Wallach. The Van Cleef impersonator isn't bad at all. From what I got to see so far, Eastwood did really good, however there's one scene I encountered where I can almost swear it's not his voice. It's the (added) scene right after they depart the monastery (?) where Tuco encountered his priest brother. Eastwood and Wallach are riding atop a wagon and conversing. The few short lines from Eastwood's character sounds NOTHING like him - young or old. I'm willing to bet they had someone else dub that scene, for whatever reason. If there are more scenes like that I'm yet to see them when I get more time.

It was mentioned they chose not to use the extra 2-3 minutes of the original beating & torture scene recently found, of Tuco inside the POW camp because of very bad quality of the print. However I didn't think it was that bad at all - assuming it was the stock, untouched print, and disagree it would have thrown off the viewers had they added it in. It seems with today's technology, they could have fixed it up no problem. Anyone have a viewpoint on this?

But great DVD overall - the extras are terrific.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Morgoth

View Profile Email
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2004, 09:11:02 AM »

Yesterday I also viewed some extra's and new scenes from my copy of GBU SE.  I also watched the new scene with clint and eli on the wagon but I didn't notice clint's voice sounding different from the other added scenes.

I expected the new sound effects to be a lot worse after all the reviews I read but I find them acceptable. I will surely keep my old GBU disc for the original english mono.

It's indeed a pity that they did not include the extended beating scene, the print damage wasn't so horrible as they said in the documentary. If they had added this scene we would have had the full Rome premiere cut.

Overall it is indeed a great DVD :)

They'd never forget the day he drifted into town.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2004, 09:12:03 PM »

Eli Wallach was interviewed in connection with this release on NPR last Saturday. For those who missed it, it's archived on their site ... even better, there's a "Web Extra" extended version, a full half hour ... which I've just finished listening to.

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1905485

Eli is 88 now, and he sounds great. He re-told a number of anecdotes I heard when he was interviewed in Silver Spring last year, but they're good stories and he tells 'em well. One detail I don't recall hearing before is that he was the one who insisted there be no onscreen credit and no publicity about his cameo in Mystic River, because ... well, let him tell it ...

... He called me and asked me if I'd play a small role in it. I said how many weeks, he said one day. I said, "Oh, Clint." He says, "Come on, it's a reunion." So I went up to Boston, I shot it in one day. I said "On one condition: There's no credit for me in it. I don't want my name on the screen, I don't want it in any advertising. I want to surprise people."

He also said he has no thoughts of retiring ... Retirement is "a word that never comes out of me, because I don't want to retire, I want to keep going till ... I hope there's a theater somewhere else where I can go after I die"! 8)

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 09:16:42 PM by KC » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2004, 12:02:51 AM »

I'm glad he did it..it was a great cameo and provided just aout the only bit of light relief in the entire film.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2004, 07:33:02 AM »

yeh

he could make a cameo in the next one - whatever the end name is

england -  its flag the St George flag
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2004, 02:28:11 PM »

D'Amb, the next film discussion is on Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, a wonderful film! And after that, I nominate Tightrope ;) But I would be just as happy with GBU...I already made some notes on it when I watched the documentaries on the DVD a few weeks ago...I miss not writing about films anymore so I'm looking forward to the next film discussion as a kind of project for me to work on (sounds a bit nerdy but I always did like writing essays).

Oh man, I feel so dumb...I don't recall Eli's cameo in Mystic River at all   ??? Anyone care to refresh my memory? I don't know if I'll be buying the DVD because I don't want a (practically) vanilla DVD version...us Region 2 people demand the works!  >:( Why do we always get the sh*t end of the stick...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2004, 02:41:59 PM »

So he was the liquor store owner...I think I vaguely remember now...must've been pretty braindead that day or something!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T