News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Every Which Way But Loose/Any Which Way You Can on DVD  (Read 15604 times)
simmo

Dying aint much of a living boy.

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2004, 06:15:12 AM »

Alleycat.Go to amazon.co.uk and look under the dvd section.theres quite a few there that are multi region and also have mp3 playback for 30 quid.Read some of the reader reviews to see how good they are.U cant go wrong for the price plus u get free delivery over 25 quid. ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 06:16:36 AM by simmo » Logged
right turn clyde

Shockley, you big prick !

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2004, 07:23:57 AM »

Alleycat, what is the make & model of the DVD player you are using? I'll check for a hack. You won't break it by hacking it ! :-)
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2004, 11:03:34 AM »

Dudes, it's allycat!  >:( But if you're nice you can call me ally...

The DVD player is a JVC make. Thanks for the info - I'll check out Amazon (when I have some money - spent it all on cds and Clint DVDs the other day!)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2004, 05:19:27 PM »

I took the liberty of calling you Ally, hope that was ok.  :-X

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2004, 05:24:06 AM »

But of course...it is my name, after all ;)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Coogan

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2004, 01:22:43 PM »

Hey guys, so the only cut in both US DVD's is the rattlesnake scene... is that right.

I love these two movies but have only got them on video, I think I am gonna invest in them both on DVD from the states.  ;)

Guess you didn't here the lady..... did you Boy!
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2004, 08:30:12 AM »

Hi Coogan,

It is only Any which way you can that is cut and only cut in the UK (That is why no DVD release)

It is uncut in reg 1 NTSC.

Philo .

Coogan

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2004, 10:59:50 AM »

Cheers Philo,

I will have to get these two DVDs now from the US, I like it when they are uncut

EXCELLENT :)

P.S. What about the US version of FIREFOX is that cut do you know

« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 11:00:31 AM by Coogan » Logged

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2004, 07:45:36 PM »

Again UK version is around the 120 min mark

US is the full 137 min version.

Philo .

Coogan

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2004, 04:32:18 AM »

Cheers Philo,

It's good to know you....  ;)

Do you know anymore of Clint's movies that are cut in the UK, but are full in the USA.

CHEERS

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2004, 08:43:11 AM »

I may be wrong but I think the UK dvd of Coogans Bluff is cut..at least one scene...  :(

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Coogan

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2004, 08:54:37 AM »

Grant,

Which bit was cut.... can you remember or not. I have that on region 2, but if it is cut I will get hold of the region 1 copy.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2004, 12:12:27 PM »

Hiya Tex.... ;)

When I picked up the region 2 dvd a year or so ago.. I think it was KC who pointed out a scene was missing. It takes place in his boss's office right after the tub scene and right before Coogan appears on the helicopter en route to NY...

I was dissapointed that it was a cut version and wasn't too impressed with the quality of the picture. Not sure if the region 1 dvd is an improvment... at least it's uncut.

Coogan

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2004, 12:54:45 PM »

Gant, firstly must appologise for using Grant, I miss read your name... Sorry

and it's still Coogan...  :D

Looks like I am gonna have to invest in the US version of this.
I have always had a soft spot for this movie, since I was at school infact, so I want the complete version

CHEERS

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2004, 02:39:46 PM »

Yeah.. I feel the same. I think it's one of the first Clint films I ever saw, apart from maybe the Leone westerns... I've always been a fan of Coogans Bluff. Good story, Clint looks great, loads of action, loads of laughs... :)

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2004, 04:07:59 PM »

Hi Gant/Coogan,

The Uk disc is uncut. The scene you refer to only apprears in the US TV version and was NEVER part of the original release. It will not be in the reg 1 version either. It was only  inserted together with a few extra sequences to pad the length of the tv version which was cut for other reasons.
The scene in his bosses office is ok but only slows the film down. Knowing what I do of Siegel's career it would have been an early scene to go.

Philo .  

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2004, 06:20:33 PM »

The scene in question may not be important or striking cinematically, but it carries a significant piece of exposition: The man Coogan is supposed to extradite in New York is wanted for murder. Without that bit of information, he's just a drug-crazed hippie.

There's another brief scene (in the hospital) that is also apparently only found in some U.S. TV versions. In it, we see that Coogan disobeys the doctor's explicit instructions, and leaves the hospital against medical advice. It adds something (if a small something) to what we know of his character. I, for one, would have liked to have seen these two scenes on the DVD, at least as extras.

FWIW, here are transcriptions of the two scenes:

Scene: The sheriff’s office. The sheriff looks out the window, sees Coogan’s jeep with the two bullet holes in the windshield, sees Coogan coming his way. Coogan, outside the office door, knocks.

SHERIFF: Come in.

Coogan enters, wearing shades.

SHERIFF: Forty-seven minutes late.

COOGAN: So?

SHERIFF: So you know what a new windshield costs? Installed? $44.50.

COOGAN as he takes off his shades: Is that what you want to ... talk to me about?

SHERIFF: Not quite.

He goes to desk, takes out papers.

SHERIFF: Governor’s warrant. Duplicate flight, duplicate record, James Ringerman.

COOGAN: Ringerman?

He takes the papers.

SHERIFF as he takes a cigar from a box on his desk and lights it: Remember Ringerman? Discharged soldier, stole a car down at Bisby? Armed robbery, service station? Picked up a little blonde someplace. We found her dead, motel, busted neck. Apprehended November 3, escaped custody, November 9. Last fall. They picked him up in New York last week, they’re holding him for us. For you, that is.

COOGAN: Why me, sheriff?

SHERIFF: You’re the one who pinched him.

COOGAN: And you’re the one who lost him.

SHERIFF: Heffurnan lost him.

COOGAN: Well then, send Heffurnan.

SHERIFF: Are you telling me who to send?

COOGAN: I’m telling you that I was out there for three days.

SHERIFF: So? You had a nice, refreshing bath. Here’s the necessary information, where to go and who to see when you get there. Plus airline ticket vouchers. Get thrashing, Deputy.

COOGAN: What is it with me, sheriff?

SHERIFF: Well, let’s just say that I don’t like deputies who bust up my vehicles. You got a per diem in New York, I wanna see the bills. Any complaints?

COOGAN: No, no. I figure I came out ahead.

He helps himself to one of the sheriff’s cigars.

COOGAN exiting, smiling: You could have asked me to pay for the windshield.

He goes out as he puts the cigar in his mouth. The sheriff slams the cigar box shut. Cut to a cigar-shaped airborne helicopter.

In the "official" video version of the hospital scene, there’s a cut from a shot of Lt. McElroy exiting after his last line, "I’ll be back tomorrow" (Coogan, off camera, replies, "Yeah, you do that") to a closeup of Coogan in bed, then a longer shot as he then turns over, gets up and walks to the window, takes off his bandage, and looks out through the blinds. His point of view of the street below is the transition to another point of view of another street, this time his view from his hotel room; he’s left the hospital.

But in the "long" version, there’s a brief scene for the doctor between McElroy’s exit and Coogan’s getting out of bed. It goes like this:

McElroy exits. Cut to a medium shot of a doctor examining Coogan, who reclines in bed, facing away from the camera.

DOCTOR: New York’s finest. No pained smile, please.

COOGAN: How do you get to the Golden Hotel from here?

DOCTOR as he takes Coogan’s pulse: The Golden? I wouldn’t worry about it for a couple of days. You’ve got a little more time to put in here.

COOGAN: Thanks.

DOCTOR: I mean it.

He turns out the light above Coogan’s bed and begins to walk to the door.

DOCTOR: Don’t try to get up. You’ll fall down.

Exit. Cut to the closeup of Coogan, who gets up and walks to the window, etc., as outlined above.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2004, 06:54:48 PM »

I think I remember that scene with the doctor as well. So were these scenes only in TV versions?

BTW, why are we talking about Coogan's Bluff in this thread? The transition was quite subtle. :D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2004, 07:14:20 PM »

BTW, why are we talking about Coogan's Bluff in this thread? The transition was quite subtle. :D
Ooops ... well, Grant, I mean Gant brought it up, Philo responded, and I was just getting my 2 ¢ worth in ...  :-[
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2004, 11:17:42 PM »

Hey..good stuff.

I never realised there were different versions..funny thing is, after reading thru the scenes KC mentions I can't help feeling that I have seen them on UK tv at some time. Is this possible Philo or just my imagination working overtime...

Shame they couldn't have been included as extras tho'..

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T