News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2015 Movie Discussion  (Read 66578 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #240 on: June 04, 2016, 01:05:29 AM »

I finally got to see the performance that beat Sylvester Stallone's chances of an Oscar.  Mark Rylance was good, but quite honestly, I'm not sure there was anything especially great about his performance. But, it was the more respectable choice.  ::)

As for the movie, I liked it.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2016, 03:13:08 PM »

I would swear we had a Tarantino appreciation thread, but a search turns up empty. There's one for numerous other people.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2016, 04:17:33 PM »

(I moved all the posts about The Hateful Eight to the Tarantino thread.)
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2016, 10:39:17 PM »

Spotlight

Finally saw it.A good film treating a very sensitive subject.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2016, 11:07:53 PM »

Ex Machina

Starring Alicia Vikander, Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson
written and directed by Alex Garland

Excellent sci fi.
Very stylish and very enjoyable. Great performances all round.

A three hander that keeps you guessing all the way to the end.. Dont wanna spoil it for anyone but def recommended..
Can a machine love ?

Just finished watching this, and I really enjoyed it.

I just read through this thread, and noticed that Gant and I share almost exactly the same opinions on all the movies we've both seen in this thread. 
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2016, 11:31:22 PM »

Has anyone else seen this one yet? I really thought I'd like it more than I did. It was a bit of a letdown, but it was still an okay movie. I just expected more. I thought with all the non-Oscar-action this film didn't get, that it would have really deserved it, but I don't think it did. Will Smith was very good in the part. He did a very convincing accent. But, other than the accent, it wasn't a very demanding role.  The whole film was a little boring. Alec Baldwin doesn't help. I can't take him seriously anymore.... he's just Alec Baldwin acting when I see him on screen. The movie was a little long and slow. I'd give it a 6/10.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2016, 01:26:25 AM »

Hi Matt.... Glad you enjoyed ex machina, I've been meaning to watch it again.. Refreshing to see intelligent Sci fi...

Did you ever see Duncan Jones's Moon ?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2016, 01:30:02 AM »

I have Concussion in my Netflix queue. I'm not expecting a whole lot, and I suspect the whole story line with Smith being snubbed was probably overblown.

I liked Ex Machina a lot, and I'd like to see it again, because I might appreciate it even more. It was nice seeing a modern science fiction movie not resort to silly action sequences and lots of explosions.

I just saw Trumbo, and I have to say I was really moved by it, even while frustrated by the typical biopic tendency to skim over major events and cover too many years. I'm familiar with his story, but Bryan Cranston did a great job of conveying the person. The John Goodman scene when he pulls out the bat is of course my favorite scene in the movie.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2016, 08:35:20 AM »

What I'm saying should probably go in the 2016 thread, but I just saw that Duncan Jones directed the new Warcraft movie that opened this past weekend in the US. I enjoyed both Moon and Source Code.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2016, 08:44:33 AM »

I have Concussion in my Netflix queue. I'm not expecting a whole lot, and I suspect the whole story line with Smith being snubbed was probably overblown.

Yeah, I don't think they should start giving out Oscars to actors who can do a great accent. I'm disappointed that he thought it was race-driven, although I agree that the demographics of the Academy did need to be evened out some. In the end, good came out of it, but in my opinion, no way did he deserve an Oscar for that. Now, I do think he could have won for The Pursuit of Happyness, but I've never seen The Last King of Scotland, and Forest Whitaker's performance beat Will's for the Oscar that year.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #250 on: June 13, 2016, 08:46:51 AM »

Hi Matt.... Glad you enjoyed ex machina, I've been meaning to watch it again.. Refreshing to see intelligent Sci fi...

Not yet.  But, if you liked it, I'm guessing I would too. I might just start taking more notice of the movies you like since we have similar taste.

I enjoyed both Moon and Source Code.

But then there's this.  Christopher and I have polar opposite taste in movies.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:47:55 AM by Matt » Logged
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #251 on: June 13, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »

If I may chime in, I also think Moon is great. Like really great. Source Code I liked a lot. Zero interest in Warcraft.

Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #252 on: June 13, 2016, 01:44:05 PM »

"Moon" is amazing.  Sam Rockwell's acting in that movie was about as close to perfect as it can get.

I won't rush out to see "Warcraft", but I'll check it on when it's on Netflix or something like that.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #253 on: June 13, 2016, 03:08:16 PM »

I really enjoyed Source Code too, seen it a couple of times.... But am not planning on seeing Warcraft... ever..

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #254 on: June 13, 2016, 04:20:49 PM »

I don't know anything about the game Warcraft is based on, so it would be more of a curiosity if I checked it out. Jones directing it makes it a little more likely I'll check it out.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #255 on: June 13, 2016, 11:33:22 PM »

Totally agree with you Matt about Bridge of Spies... I saw it recently and enjoyed it but really... Stallone should have won that oscar...

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2016, 11:09:33 AM »

I just saw Trumbo, and I have to say I was really moved by it, even while frustrated by the typical biopic tendency to skim over major events and cover too many years. I'm familiar with his story, but Bryan Cranston did a great job of conveying the person. The John Goodman scene when he pulls out the bat is of course my favorite scene in the movie.

Just saw it Doug and I totally agree with your comments. Cranston is excellent but Goodman is memorable...

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #257 on: July 18, 2016, 11:34:34 AM »

Just saw this one.Decent.Nothing more...

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2016, 08:28:59 PM »

Enjoyed watching this sequel with my best friend over the weekend.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #259 on: July 25, 2016, 05:46:43 PM »

Great movie.

“Eyuh.”
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T