News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Richard Jewell: Production Information and News  (Read 18420 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: March 31, 2015, 07:32:01 PM »

According to Deadline, Clint Eastwood is in talks to direct a biopic starring Jonah Hill and potentially co-starring Leonardo Dicaprio, which is based on a script by Billy Ray, who was the screenwriter of "Captain Philips."

Clint Eastwood is seriously circling the job of directing Fox’s high profile Billy Ray-scripted untitled project about Richard Jewell, the heroic security guard who discovered a suspicious backpack in the Olympics compound during the 1996 games in Atlanta. Jewell, who’ll be played by two time Oscar nominee Jonah Hill, was vilified as a possible terrorist, and his good work in helping clear bystanders from the area before the bomb exploded turned into a trip to the Twilight Zone. Leonardo DiCaprio is a possible to play the lawyer who helped Jewell navigate that hell.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/clint-eastwood-richard-jewell-1996-summer-olympics-jonah-hill-leonardo-dicaprio-1201402476/

Directing for Fox would be a departure for Eastwood, but what does everyone think about this as a potential project for Eastwood? Are you looking forward to seeing this, or were you hoping for something different?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:45:21 PM by KC » Logged
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:53:52 AM »

Another biopic?
Not again  >:(

I was hoping for a starer...

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:19:14 AM »

There's a lot of potential for a hell of movie I would think, part character study and social commentary. It's a fascinating story and even more timely today with the frequent rush-to-judgments that occur in the social media age. I think Jonah Hill would be perfect for the part.

For those of you with an interest, Atlanta Magazine did an in-depth oral history of the Olympic bombing a few years back:

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/great-reads/olympic-park-bombing-oral-history/
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »

Another biopic?
Not again  >:(

I was hoping for a starer...

I had the exact same reaction.  Clint has got to move away from these bipic films.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »

This topic was started on April 1.  :-\

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »

This topic was started on April 1.  :-\

Actually, March 31, US EDT. Though that thought crossed my mind after I first read the original post, and I had to go back and check. ;)

And the link AKA supplied is legit.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »

Actually, March 31, US EDT. Though that thought crossed my mind after I first read the original post, and I had to go back and check. ;)

And the link AKA supplied is legit.

Rest assured my friends, I wouldn't waste everyone's time by posting a fake project to the board just because it's April Fool's Day. That's not my style ;)

I totally agree with all of you that were hoping for an acting vehicle for Clint, but I honestly think that it is more likely than not that he won't be acting anymore. He's almost 85 now, and he seems to value directing more than he does acting, and has said that he no longer wants to do both simultaneously. I think it's unlikely that he'll find a project that he wants to act in more than he wants to direct.

I also am really tired of all of the biopics. I go to the movies to be entertained, not to be educated on history, and I'd much rather Clint dedicate his time to directing a fictional story. Of the films he's directed since "Million Dollar Baby" came out, 7 of the films have been biopics or fact-based dramas, and I was hoping that Eastwood would be moving away from that trend with his next project.

On the other hand, anything sounds like a better project to me than "A Star Is Born," so this seems like a step up from what could have been. I also am a fan of "Captain Philips," which was written by the same screenwriter as this potential Clint project.

As to the cast, I absolutely hate stupid humor, so I avoid Jonah Hill's movies like the plague. As a result, I've actually never seen him in a movie before. I'm definitely not a fan, but he does have two Oscar nominations, so others obviously feel he's a good actor. I'm also really not a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio, but thought he gave a good performance in "J. Edgar."

I find it hard to believe that this was the most interesting script that Clint was offered though. There can't be a whole lot to this story. A random nobody was falsely accused of bombing the Olympics in Atlanta. Okay, and? Why do we care? Clint is riding high after the success of "American Sniper" and can do pretty much anything he wants to at this point, but I must confess that I don't quite get why this appears to be the project he's most excited about. 

I think if he truly wants to do it, it will happen, since Warners is loyal to Eastwood, and based on the caliber of people involved with this project, and the potential for Oscar nominations down the line if it's well received, I think it's in the interest of Warners to let Eastwood do this.
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »

I find it hard to believe that this was the most interesting script that Clint was offered though. There can't be a whole lot to this story. A random nobody was falsely accused of bombing the Olympics in Atlanta. Okay, and? Why do we care? Clint is riding high after the success of "American Sniper" and can do pretty much anything he wants to at this point, but I must confess that I don't quite get why this appears to be the project he's most excited about. 

Yeah, I agree with pretty much all you wrote in your post.  I would say that there might be a decent story here as it might have been one of the first major events where there was a huge rush to judgement to catch someone and having the media all but pronounce him guilty.  But I'm like you... I'm still not that interested.

As for Jonah Hill, I don't think that he is that great of an actor but he was ok in Moneyball and Wolf of Wall Street.  I'm still puzzled over those two Oscar nominations that he got.

As a side note, I'm reading the new John Wayne autobiography and back in the 70's Clint had a script for a western that he wanted Wayne to star along side him that sounded like it would have been really great.  However, Wayne flatly turned it down.  Now, I'm thinking that Clint could still do that movie... but play the older guy that Wayne would have played instead of the younger guy in the script.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:09:41 PM by exit00 » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 07:10:47 AM »

I'm still a bit wary of this project, but I think I've discovered a silver lining if Clint ends up directing this as his next project.  I probably won't be posting any temper tantrums after seeing it that the villains weren't humanized enough ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 07:43:03 PM »

;D
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 07:28:14 PM »

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 05:56:46 PM »

Eastwood was recently presented with an award in Las Vegas. After being presented with his award, he sat for an interview about his career.

In that interview, Eastwood reportedly stated that he isn't going to be making this film.

Clint Eastwood made it official today at CinemaCon. He confirmed he won’t be doing the film on Richard Jewell starring Jonah Hill for Fox that was said to be his follow up project to American Sniper. He indicated there were discussions but it isn’t happening for him.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/clint-eastwood-feted-says-he-is-not-doing-the-richard-jewell-movie-and-has-choice-words-for-michael-moore-cinemacon-1201414540/
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:16 AM »

^^^^

One to go...thank god.
Let's hope this goes for the Ferari one,too.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 02:40:34 PM »

YAAAAAWN !! ::)
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 01:53:34 PM »

Well, After all the speculation about Eastywood's next movie it looks like he's going to be doing the Captain Sully Sullenberger Story for Warner Brothers........interesting move.....
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 03:55:20 PM »

Well, folks, it looks like Clint may be returning to direct this project. He was previously interested in making this a number of years ago.

I was kind of hoping that the success of "The Mule" might inspire him to direct more fictionalized stories. What does everyone think about Clint potentially making this his next film?

https://deadline.com/2019/04/clint-eastwood-the-ballad-of-richard-jewell-movie-disney-fox-1202598528/
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 09:16:15 PM »

Another story about this potential project was posted here:

GOOD NEWS ARE COMING GUYS.

Clint Eastwood Aims to Direct Film About 1996 Atlanta Olympics' Security Guard, ‘The Ballad of Richard Jewell’.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/clint-eastwood-angling-direct-richard-jewell-movie-disney-fox-1203165

Thanks for restarting this thread, AKA.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 01:15:52 AM »

What does everyone think about Clint potentially making this his next film?

It doesn't bother me either way what Clint decides to do next. He could direct a film about two ants trying to survive the hustle and bustle of a New York sidewalk and I'd still be lining up to see it.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 11:40:02 AM »

It doesn't bother me either way what Clint decides to do next. He could direct a film about two ants trying to survive the hustle and bustle of a New York sidewalk and I'd still be lining up to see it.
Sounds like a fun idea for an animated movie. ;D

I would definitely check out the movie if he makes it.
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 02:16:12 PM »

Well, folks, it looks like Clint may be returning to direct this project. He was previously interested in making this a number of years ago.

I was kind of hoping that the success of "The Mule" might inspire him to direct more fictionalized stories. What does everyone think about Clint potentially making this his next film?

https://deadline.com/2019/04/clint-eastwood-the-ballad-of-richard-jewell-movie-disney-fox-1202598528/
I understand your concern AKA23. I kinda share that feeling with you. We all might have missed the days Clint used to make films like Mystic River, MDB or Gran Torino. But this story of Richard Jewell is a rock solid American story. It's dark, cruel, harrowing and totally relevant. So, I guess this one is Eastwood style and with a strong cast, he can definitely deliver another gem. Because I'm sure that no one knows how to make great real-life based dramas better than the boss.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T