News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Clint Eastwood Presents a Master Class in Stewardship at Tehama"  (Read 61 times)
honkytonkman

View Profile Email
« on: October 12, 2019, 04:51:19 PM »

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 08:12:55 PM »

^ The Moderators thought this story was worthy of a thread of its own. Here are a couple of quotes.

Staying loose definitely qualifies as Eastwood’s mantra. The guy’s legendary on-screen cool is no act. During lunch, he and his fellow members at Tehama hail one another casually and catch up about their golf games and their families while they watch the Open.

This chill vibe is, without question, a top-down phenomenon. It emanates from Eastwood, and it imbues Tehama and its members and the staff with a casual confidence and an absence of attitude that makes this invitation-only golf club the ultimate anti-club.

DON’T LET THE OLD MAN IN | In addition to regularly playing golf at Tehama, Eastwood still skis at Sun Valley, and just wrapped production on Richard Jewell, which releases on December 13.

“It was last year during The Clint, a golf tournament we put on here at Tehama,” Eastwood says. “We play it at the end of May, which is when my birthday happens to be, but it’s not about my birthday. Toby [Keith] and I were playing together, and when he found out that my birthday was that Monday, he asked me how I planned to celebrate it. I told him I was going to start principal production on a movie, which happened to be The Mule.”

“The moment I said that, Toby looked at me, and then he asked me, ‘What keeps you going at 88?’ So I told him, “I get up every morning, and I don’t let the old man in.’ The moment I said that, Toby said, ‘That’s a great title for a song,’” Eastwood says.

Eastwood started caddying at 13, but never imagined he would play golf, let alone create his own golf club.

The beauty of this anecdote is that Eastwood wasn’t commissioning a song. He was playing a round of golf at Tehama. For that matter, Eastwood hadn’t even filmed The Mule. Although music is an integral component of his body of work — let’s start with Million Dollar Baby as a for instance — he was just answering a question. Yet in doing so, he shared a priceless life lesson with a gifted songwriter.

This creative episode gives you an idea of how razor-sharp the 89-year-old is. Physically, he is living the dream. No hearing aids. No glasses. No walker. I witness this firsthand when he obliges my request to visit his goslings. Eastwood has a soft spot for all of God’s creatures at Tehama, especially two goslings whose parents nest alongside a water feature on the 11th hole.

(Posted on September 15, 2019 by Eric OKeefe)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T