News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Re: Eastwood in the press (minor mentions)  (Read 95542 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #920 on: October 25, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »

That's quite a story, AKA. If you are wondering how a book that was never published got "cataloged" by book distributors, etc.: A lot of the cataloging of new books that libraries use isn't done by the libraries. It is simply taken from information supplied by the publisher before the book is ever published, without anyone actually seeing the book. The Library of Congress does this (see the copyright page of almost any book published nowadays), but book wholesalers and distributors do it also. Then, when the book reaches libraries from these sources, it's already cataloged. Someone can slap on a call number and a barcode, and it goes straight to the shelf. And if it never does reach libraries, for instance because the author never finished it (but he had a contract with the publisher, who had made plans for publication) ... well, sometimes that data might stick around in the welter of interlocking information systems libraries use, and the book becomes a "ghost": Reported in bibliographical sources, but never existed in real life.

Bibliographical ghosts actually have a long history in the world of bibliography and book collecting: Someone makes a mistake in the "metadata" (or catalog record/entry in a bibliography), and others copy it. If anyone's interested, here is a short treatise on the subject from 1920:

Bibliographical Ghosts, by George Watson Cole.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #921 on: October 25, 2020, 12:08:38 PM »

That's fascinating, AKA. That does sound like an interesting story. If Clint Eastwood optioned a book I was writing (or any other filmmaker for that matter), I would have definitely did whatever I could to finish the novel.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #922 on: October 25, 2020, 12:43:38 PM »

Very interesting.. 👍

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #923 on: October 27, 2020, 12:44:44 AM »

Interesting story, AKA23
I suppose that we do not know all the Clint projects that failed
For instance, when Blood Work was released, I have read that Clint was looking for a story in order to make a Dirty Harry film
But that could just be a rumor
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T