News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sully: Production Information and News  (Read 26589 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: June 02, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »

The Hollywood Reporter has details about Clint's next project:

Clint Eastwood is tackling another real-life hero: Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger.

The prolific director's next film will be the story of Sullenberger's life and the dramatic tale of how the veteran pilot ditched U.S. Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River in January 2009, saving everyone on board. Eastwood, 85, will make the movie for Warner Bros., his longtime home studio.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/clint-eastwoods-next-movie-revealed-799151
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »

That's an interesting choice, if it's true. I believe it's been mentioned somewhere on the board that it's too bad Eastwood doesn't seem interested in doing an original story instead of a biopic. I would agree with that. I'm honestly not excited about the sound of this--if anything, this is the sort of thing a TV movie would be made about.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:41:44 PM »

Here's a link to the Variety story:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/clint-eastwood-to-direct-sully-for-warner-bros-1201510578/

It says WB is "in talks" to acquire the rights to the story. Maybe there's a shred of hope there that this project won't come to fruition? Like others, I am getting just a bit tired of the biopic genre and I wish Clint would find an original story to tell in film. This one, in particular, doesn't sound very promising. Everyone knows how it came out, and that there was a happy ending, so where's the suspense?

But having said that ... maybe there's some angle I don't know about that made Clint want to take this one on, so I'll wait and make up my mind when the film is out, if it indeed does come to pass.
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:05:25 PM »

So far, I've never seen a Eastwood film I did'nt enjoy, so if The Man makes this one, I don't expect to dislike it.

Sully wasn't just one more airline pilot. He was a fighter jet veteran, flying Phantoms in Nam. There is no possibility of a good story there? Get real. I reckon it took some Right Stuff to make that good river landing, and I reckon that Right Stuff showed its face many years ago.

Go for it Clint.

Manwith

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »

"Highest Duty: My Search for What Really Matters," has the potential to provide the basis of interesting film. I've read the book and it is more about his influences growing up and his philosophy of life than about his landing the aircraft in the Hudson. Capt. Sullenberger comes across as even more thoughtful and humble in the book than he does during interviews.

On the off chance this project may come to fruition, I will re-read the book in preparation.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »

Another biopic?? I´m not thrilled but obviously will see it and judge afterwards (obviously it could be great too)...but at the moment slightly dissappointed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:04:17 PM by Hemlock » Logged
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 04:32:07 AM »

Another biopic?? I´m not thrilled but obviously will see it and judge afterwards (obviously it could great too)...but at the moment slightly dissappointed.

Same feeling here if this turns out to be Clint's next choice of a movie to direct.  As Christopher noted above, this sounds more like it should be a TV movie. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:49:21 AM by exit00 » Logged
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 08:06:46 AM »

Variety
Clint Eastwood to Direct Captain Sully Sullenberger Story for Warner Bros.
June 2, 2015 | 12:37PM PT
Justin Kroll
Film Reporter
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/clint-eastwood-to-direct-sully-for-warner-bros-1201510578/
Eastwood had been circling the Boston Marathon bombing pic “Patriot’s Day” at CBS Films but soon came across this project and became interested in spotlighting another American hero. ...

Eastwood has always been drawn by stories like “American Sniper,” “J. Edgar” and “The Changeling” based on real-life individuals, and this story falls squarely in that genre. ...
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 12:46:44 AM »

I can't believe all the negativity surrounding what film Clint might make next. If I hear Clint is in talks or something official is announced, I'm not asking what type of film is it, I just can't wait for it to be released.

For the last 6 or 7 years it seems to be a trend on this board though. I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion but it is always very negative when it comes to what Clint is doing next or might do. If it was announced tomorrow that Clint was making a documentary of the life of an ant, I wouldn't care. The man has just turned 85 and is still working and giving us much entertainment.

It's the same with how much money his films make. American Sniper raked it in but his last few before that didn't, I couldn't care less. As long as he keeps making films, I'm happy.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 06:00:00 AM »

I can't believe all the negativity surrounding what film Clint might make next. If I hear Clint is in talks or something official is announced, I'm not asking what type of film is it, I just can't wait for it to be released.

For the last 6 or 7 years it seems to be a trend on this board though. I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion but it is always very negative when it comes to what Clint is doing next or might do. If it was announced tomorrow that Clint was making a documentary of the life of an ant, I wouldn't care. The man has just turned 85 and is still working and giving us much entertainment.

It's the same with how much money his films make. American Sniper raked it in but his last few before that didn't, I couldn't care less. As long as he keeps making films, I'm happy.
That's a very good point. O0  This is the first time I've ever read about one of these rumored projects, and was just sort of like, "meh" about it. But I don't know much about the story--it's certainly possible it could make for an interesting movie.

And I don't think I'd call it negativity on the board... it's just not enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 06:02:28 AM by Christopher » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 06:59:47 AM »

Well said, SK, but I'm afraid I can't help what I feel in advance about this one, and that is, as Christopher put it, "not enthusiasm."

But of course I'm happy he is still working and I will be very interested to see what he can do with this material!
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »

Yeah, I don't think its so much negativity as it is disappointment that the rumored next film isn't something more meaty but yet another biopic.  For me, even though I liked films such as J Edgar and Invictus, they weren't movies that I couldn't wait to go see again.  This one sounds like it would fall into this same category.  But of course you never know.... it might surprise.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 07:40:07 AM »

Eastwood should do a documentary on Bruce Jenner
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 12:07:06 PM »

I understand the lack of enthusiasm for another biopic. However, Capt. Sullenberger was a hero well before Flight 1549. He was a flight lead and trainer in the Air Force. Sullenberger was an accident investigator in the Air Force and served as the chairman of a safety committee within the Air Line Pilots Association. He has been and continues to be a respected member of the aircraft industry.

Clint Eastwood would be my first choice to cast as Capt. Sullenberger.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »

James Woods
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »

Zzzzz ... I thought the Richard Jewell biopic/ATL Olympic bombing story was much more interesting from a dramatic viewpoint (though judging by the board's response, I'm in the minority on that one). Hopefully Sir Clint can prove me wrong should he choose to go through with this one. And yes, I'm grateful he's still even working at this point.

Eastwood should do a documentary on Bruce Jenner

Ha! I'm in :)
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 02:42:39 AM »

I myself am thrilled that Clint is still making movies at the age of 85. This is all just my opinion and thoughts and I hope it doesn't make anybody mad. But I would much rather see Clint make biopic movies then to hear that Clint is retiring and not making anymore movies. I think that's what SK is talking about. I mean this is much better than Clint retiring. Personally I think Clint will do good with this one and make it very entertaining. I think he will surprise us and it will turn out to be very good. Now he did a fantastic job with American Sniper. Highest grossing film ever. And I did enjoy watching it even though it's not a movie I will be buying or watching very often.  Due to those type of movies not being really my cup of tea. Never been a big fan of war movies. But Clint did do a fantastic job with it. Again I'm happy with whatever Clint decides to do now and in the future.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »

According to Frank Marshall, who is one of the producers of this, it sounds like this is happening with Eastwood as director.

I was actually gonna ask you about that if you didn’t mind. Obviously landing Clint for anything at this point is a huge coup. What was it about that story that said ‘we need to tell it’?

MARSHALL:Allyn Stewart, who is my co-producer, and I bought this story over five years ago. I mean, first of all it’s an incredible story, and Sully had written a book which we purchased because I love these positive stories about heroes and the human spirit. Obviously, Alive [20 Years Later] and some of the other things I’ve been involved with, Seabiscuit, etc., I love these stories and I thought Sully’s story was extraordinary because there’s a whole part of the story you don’t know about. We all know he landed on the Hudson but that wasn’t the end of it. So that’s the story I think is gonna be the story that people are gonna respond to, and it is certainly the story that Clint responded to.

Congratulations getting him to do the movie.

MARSHALL: Thank you. That was a great phone call to get.

Yeah, I can’t even imagine. Especially because he’s riding a little wave right now.

MARSHALL: Yeah, he certainly is. And I think, obviously we’ve done a couple of pictures with him before but I’m really anxious to get started on this one and work with him again.

http://collider.com/frank-marshall-on-jurassic-world-sequels-assassins-creed-bourne-5-and-more/
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 06:09:44 PM »

It looks like Eastwood may be looking to Tom Hanks to play Sully.

http://deadline.com/2015/06/tom-hanks-sully-sullenberger-clint-eastwood-movie-1201447178/
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 08:23:54 AM »

Boring  :( :( :(

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T