News: Now in post-production: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sully: Production Information and News  (Read 43581 times)
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2016, 05:33:16 PM »

Clint Eastwood's 'Sully': The True Story Behind The Miracle on the Hudson
by Redmond Bacon,  August 16th, 2016 at 5:29am
http://moviepilot.com/posts/4033012

Nice summary of the basic plot of the film. It is essentially what I've been expecting all along. The article may include what some may consider as spoilers.

There is a link to the 251 page FAA Final Report on the incident. I've read the report and would recommend against reading it before seeing the film.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2016, 05:53:16 PM »

according to Japanese movie  theater site,running time of this film is 95minuets.
shortest film of eastwood direction?

I was initially skeptical since 95 minutes would be a very short film for Eastwood to make as a director, but it appears as if this may actually be true. IMDB currently has the film listed at 96 minutes, and the Smithsonian, which I would assume would be a very reputable source, has the same length listed. 

This may be a reflection of there really not being much story to tell here, and the film being very focused on this one incident and its aftermath.

https://www.si.edu/Imax/Movie/1252 
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2016, 09:02:01 PM »

On the side of a newsstand across the street from my building:

:D
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2016, 02:49:48 AM »

I was initially skeptical since 95 minutes would be a very short film for Eastwood to make as a director, but it appears as if this may actually be true. IMDB currently has the film listed at 96 minutes, and the Smithsonian, which I would assume would be a very reputable source, has the same length listed. 

This may be a reflection of there really not being much story to tell here, and the film being very focused on this one incident and its aftermath.

https://www.si.edu/Imax/Movie/1252

No Joel Cox around this time.
Suppose not necessary bad news.
What troubles me is that no reviews has arrived yet.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2016, 09:28:17 AM »

I think it's a little too early for reviews since this isn't playing at any of the film festivals.

A new, longer trailer has been released. In the beginning it has a little bit of commentary from Eastwood as well.

https://thefilmstage.com/trailer/tom-hanks-faces-an-investigation-in-imax-trailer-for-clint-eastwoods-sully/

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2016, 09:35:42 AM »

When there are reviews, we'll start a new thread for them.
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2016, 01:08:55 PM »

One possible good note for Sully is that it doesn't look to me that there are any other big box-office movies opening either the same weekend or maybe even the weekend afterwards.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2016, 01:52:33 PM »

I think it's a little too early for reviews since this isn't playing at any of the film festivals.

A new, longer trailer has been released. In the beginning it has a little bit of commentary from Eastwood as well.

https://thefilmstage.com/trailer/tom-hanks-faces-an-investigation-in-imax-trailer-for-clint-eastwoods-sully/
I saw the link to that from IMDb earlier and was going to post it if no one beat me to it. It is cool to see the actual Sully there too.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2016, 01:27:28 AM »

One possible good note for Sully is that it doesn't look to me that there are any other big box-office movies opening either the same weekend or maybe even the weekend afterwards.

That's true but ,I don't expect the movie to be a box office attraction. I predict a 50 million range which is a decent result.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2016, 04:01:46 PM »

I actually think it will do good. True story. Tom Hanks in it. Eastwood director. No other big movies during its release. With all that I look for it to do really well. Just my opinion.
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2016, 05:24:57 PM »

I actually think it will do good. True story. Tom Hanks in it. Eastwood director. No other big movies during its release. With all that I look for it to do really well. Just my opinion.
In addition, the film was heavily promoted during the Olympics, a good target audience. The theme of hero is synchronous with the accomplishments of the athletes.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »

I'm disappointed that it appears like this movie is going to be really short. I've gotten used to Eastwood taking his time to tell his stories. Credits are about five minutes, so if the 1 hr 36 minute run time is accurate, that's really only an hour and a half movie. I wish it were longer, but Eastwood has gotten some criticism that his movies are often too long, so maybe a shorter movie will be better received. This run time may be perfect for the movie, but it's so much shorter than I'm used to for an Eastwood film.

What are everyone else's thoughts? Is anyone else surprised or disappointed, or are you happy with a shorter run time than usual?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:18:37 PM by AKA23 » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »

Let's wait and see how long, or short, the running time seems when we watch it. ;)

I've heard tell that there are a lot of great poems that are exactly 14 lines long ... Heck, the Japanese do it in seventeen syllables!
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2016, 09:27:24 PM »

What are everyone else's thoughts? Is anyone else surprised or disappointed, or are you happy with a shorter run time than usual?

Let's wait and see how long, or short, the running time seems when we watch it. ;)

I've heard tell that there are a lot of great poems that are exactly 14 lines long ... Heck, the Japanese do it in seventeen syllables!
From what I know about the film, 96 minutes seems to be an appropriate length.

I'm looking forward to seeing interviews on the talk shows the week of September 9th. Maybe, Mr. Eastwood would consider appearing on at least one of the shows.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2016, 11:22:50 PM »

I'm disappointed that it appears like this movie is going to be really short. I've gotten used to Eastwood taking his time to tell his stories. Credits are about five minutes, so if the 1 hr 36 minute run time is accurate, that's really only an hour and a half movie. I wish it were longer

Sorry AKA but how can you wish a movie was longer without seeing the movie? I don't understand that. In the past I've come out of a 90 minute movie and really enjoyed it and thought, yes that could have gone a little longer. Sometimes though, in a two hour movie, I'm looking at my watch and there's still 30 minutes to go and it's a trial getting through those final 30 minutes.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2016, 02:09:52 PM »

Sorry AKA but how can you wish a movie was longer without seeing the movie? I don't understand that. In the past I've come out of a 90 minute movie and really enjoyed it and thought, yes that could have gone a little longer. Sometimes though, in a two hour movie, I'm looking at my watch and there's still 30 minutes to go and it's a trial getting through those final 30 minutes.

I'm a greedy Clint fan. I want as much of his movies as I can get. Honestly, this running time may be perfect for the movie, as I stated, but one thing I've always liked about Eastwood's films is that they are a little longer and that they often go a little bit deeper. This longer, deeper style is pretty unique among directors and I have always appreciated that style. But Dirty Harry was a pretty short movie and that was fantastic, so this movie could be the same. We'll have to wait and see I guess :)
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2016, 06:08:05 AM »

I'm a greedy Clint fan. I want as much of his movies as I can get. Honestly, this running time may be perfect for the movie, as I stated, but one thing I've always liked about Eastwood's films is that they are a little longer and that they often go a little bit deeper. This longer, deeper style is pretty unique among directors and I have always appreciated that style.

Yeah, I know what you are saying and I'm the same way.  Although with biopics... I usually find the shorter the better as too often a lot of "true life" fluff is thrown in a the expense of the movie.  Will have to see if this movie feels like there is too much background info on Sully missing or if it is just enough.
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2016, 07:58:42 AM »

Regarding the shorter running time........Tom Hanks is quoted in this months Empire magazine as saying one of the things that attracted him to the project was Komarrnicki's script which he calls "one of the finest, leanest, most pure stories I've ever read."
It goes on to say that "Eastwood made the decision to portray different reenactments of the crash, starting with a "what if?" version that ends badly, getting closer to the truth each time......to amp up the danger, he shot the film entirely with gigantic IMAX cameras as he put Hanks through a landing even more intense than the one he suffered in Castaway."  :)
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2016, 08:51:57 AM »

Regarding the shorter running time........Tom Hanks is quoted in this months Empire magazine as saying one of the things that attracted him to the project was Komarrnicki's script which he calls "one of the finest, leanest, most pure stories I've ever read."
It goes on to say that "Eastwood made the decision to portray different reenactments of the crash, starting with a "what if?" version that ends badly, getting closer to the truth each time......to amp up the danger, he shot the film entirely with gigantic IMAX cameras as he put Hanks through a landing even more intense than the one he suffered in Castaway."  :)

Empire online has a summary of the article and a YouTube featurette.
http://www.empireonline.com/people/tom-hanks/tom-hanks-stars-sully-featurette-showcasing-new-footage/

Sully (2016) Miracle on the Hudson Featurette [HD] (5:02)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyRT233Zzs4
23 August 2016
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:53:11 AM by Dan Dassow » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2016, 03:25:09 AM »

Are there preview showings of the film this weekend in the USA?

I wasn't aware until a few minutes ago but the film is being shown across Sydney tomorrow. Unfortunately I can't make it.

http://www.imdb.com/showtimes/title/tt3263904/2016-09-04?ref_=shtt_dt

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T