News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sully: Production Information and News  (Read 27534 times)
Smitty1993

Hey there

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 01:15:28 PM »

I don't know if I'm seeing it    ??? trust me I did the same with American Sniper and still haven't seen it. But I'll see if I like the trailer first

Do you feel lucky punk 😀
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 07:49:43 PM »

Boring  :( :( :(

I think may be John Malkovich will be better....... ???

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 05:53:30 PM »

Aaron Eckhart Joins Clint Eastwood's Sully
He'll be in the cockpit with Tom Hanks
11 August 2015  |  Written by James White  |  Source: The Hollywood Reporter
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=45082
Eckhart will play Jeff Skiles, first officer and co-pilot of the Airbus A320, who was at the controls when the birds hit the engines.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 05:37:53 PM »

I think Eckhart is an excellent choice.  Tom Hanks will be great as always.  And with Clint directing it well lets just say I will be watching this one for sure! :)
Smitty1993

Hey there

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 07:42:27 PM »

I'll see if I like it especially after seeing the trailer  :D

Do you feel lucky punk 😀
_Clintan_

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »

If Tom Hanks is in this, you know it'll be good.

Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 07:55:25 PM »

If Tom Hanks is in this, you know it'll be good.

Ya I agree 100%  I'll even take it a step further.  Clint is also involved in this so between Clint and Tom Hanks I will defenately be watching this one no matter what. 
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 10:45:07 PM »

Deadline Hollywood
Laura Linney Joins Clint Eastwood’s ‘Sully’ To Play Hero Pilot’s Wife
http://deadline.com/2015/08/laura-linney-sully-tom-hanks-clint-eastwood-warner-bros-hero-pilot-1201500594/
by Mike Fleming Jr August 17, 2015 3:37pm
Linney will play the pilot’s wife in what will be her third teaming with Eastwood after Mystic River and Absolute Power. Aaron Eckhardt will play the co-pilot.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 10:59:45 PM »

This cast is starting to sound very promising.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 08:12:50 PM »

This cast is starting to sound very promising.

I agree!  That's why I will watch this movie no matter what.  Great cast and with Clint directing it.  Plus Sullenger is a hero saving all those lives.  I actually think its going to be a really good movie.  Espicially with all the talent involved.
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 08:41:17 PM »

I agree!  That's why I will watch this movie no matter what.  Great cast and with Clint directing it.  Plus Sullenger is a hero saving all those lives.  I actually think its going to be a really good movie.  Espicially with all the talent involved.

If the film follows the basic outline of Capt. "Sully" Sullenberger's book,  I suspect that his landing the A320 in the Hudson will take up only a small portion of the film.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 03:17:20 PM »

If the film follows the basic outline of Capt. "Sully" Sullenberger's book,  I suspect that his landing the A320 in the Hudson will take up only a small portion of the film.

It will probably follow the book, but I'm still skeptical of this project. Casting Tom Hanks and Laura Linney seem like good choices to me. They are both very good actors, and Tom Hanks is always good as an everyman. I just don't see why the average moviegoer is going to be interested in this story. I'm sure that he had a varied and admirable life, but I'm not sure who is really going to want to see a movie about it. It seems like Clint is picking a random person who did something heroic and making a movie about him. Clint made biopics of both Nelson Mandela and J. Edgar Hoover's life. They both had a much larger impact on history than Sully has had and neither movie was particularly entertaining to the average moviegoer. He seems to make biopics that are pretty slow about events that are not inherently suspenseful. I think for a biopic to attract a mass audience and be entertaining to most moviegoers it needs to depict events which are inherently suspenseful. Think "Argo" and "Captain Philips." Those were both very entertaining movies. I don't see Sully's story in the same vein. 
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »

I don't think Clint has ever made a movie with "the average moviegoer" in mind.

If you’re constantly thinking about what the audience’s reaction is going to be, you stop thinking in terms of how the film should look, because the film will end up by being made around preconceived notions, on a hypothetical expectation of what the audience will do. It’s impossible to tell a story with ideas like that. And most of the time your work will be degraded by the contact with this kind of compromise. The essential thing is to stick to what you want to say, to the impressions you want to express in a picture. Then afterwards, it’s up to the audience to accept it or not.
(From an interview by Thierry Jousse and Camille Nevers in Cahiers du cinéma, August 1992; translated from the French and reprinted in Clint Eastwood: Interviews (1999 edition), pages 179-180)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 06:28:42 AM »

(From an interview by Thierry Jousse and Camille Nevers in Cahiers du cinéma, August 1992; translated from the French and reprinted in Clint Eastwood: Interviews (1999 edition), pages 179-180)

That is a great point, KC. Speaking for myself and not for the average moviegoer, I personally have not found Clint's biopics to be that entertaining. It's not a genre that I especially enjoy. To me, the details of people's lives are just not that entertaining to watch on film, unless the stories the films depict are inherently suspenseful. Sully doesn't seem like that type of movie to me. I would have been a lot more interested had Clint chosen to act in this film, but he's so much older than Sully is, so although some hoped for that, I doubt that was ever a realistic possibility. That's the thing about the films that Eastwood only directs. The best thing about Eastwood's movies are his performances to me. Even if the other aspects of the film don't turn out well or aren't that interesting, as a fan I always love to see him onscreen. With movies that he only directs, the appeal is just not the same, unless I'm really interested in the stories the films tell. A lot of Eastwood fans probably feel the same way. I'll still be there on opening day, and I hope this turns out to be another success for Eastwood!
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 07:47:08 AM »

That is a great point, KC. Speaking for myself and not for the average moviegoer, I personally have not found Clint's biopics to be that entertaining. It's not a genre that I especially enjoy. To me, the details of people's lives are just not that entertaining to watch on film, unless the stories the films depict are inherently suspenseful. Sully doesn't seem like that type of movie to me. I would have been a lot more interested had Clint chosen to act in this film, but he's so much older than Sully is, so although some hoped for that, I doubt that was ever a realistic possibility. That's the thing about the films that Eastwood only directs. The best thing about Eastwood's movies are his performances to me. Even if the other aspects of the film don't turn out well or aren't that interesting, as a fan I always love to see him onscreen. With movies that he only directs, the appeal is just not the same, unless I'm really interested in the stories the films tell. A lot of Eastwood fans probably feel the same way. I'll still be there on opening day, and I hope this turns out to be another success for Eastwood!

I know I am not the typical fan of films and specifically Eastwood films. I appreciate that Mr. Eastwood produces and directs films that interest him that may not be critical and/or box office successes. I look forward to the Sullenberger biopic, even though I do not expect that it will do well at the box office. If it does, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Capt. Sullenberger has been a hero in the aviation industry long before he landed the A320 on the Hudson River. He has been a respected and thoughtful advocate for flight safety long before that incident. It will be interesting how Todd Komarnicki's screenplay adapts Capt. Chesley Sullenberger's book.

I have strong hope that the film will focus on Capt. Sullenberger's work to promote flight safety,  since IMDb also lists in the cast Holt McCallany as Mike Cleary. Mike Cleary is the president of the USAPA (United States Airline Pilots Association); Sullenberger was the chairman of the USAPA safety committee. Upon Capt. Sullenberger's retirement Cleary wrote:
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2010/03/sullenbergers-last-flight-toda.html/
Sully has always been a pilot’s pilot and a fine example of a professional aviator. He has also done a remarkable job of focusing the American public’s attention on the need for well-trained and experienced pilots at the controls of commercial aircraft.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 05:31:58 PM »

I know I am not the typical fan of films and specifically Eastwood films. I appreciate that Mr. Eastwood produces and directs films that interest him that may not be critical and/or box office successes. I look forward to the Sullenberger biopic, even though I do not expect that it will do well at the box office. If it does, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Capt. Sullenberger has been a hero in the aviation industry long before he landed the A320 on the Hudson River. He has been a respected and thoughtful advocate for flight safety long before that incident. It will be interesting how Todd Komarnicki's screenplay adapts Capt. Chesley Sullenberger's book.

I have strong hope that the film will focus on Capt. Sullenberger's work to promote flight safety,  since IMDb also lists in the cast Holt McCallany as Mike Cleary. Mike Cleary is the president of the USAPA (United States Airline Pilots Association); Sullenberger was the chairman of the USAPA safety committee. Upon Capt. Sullenberger's retirement Cleary wrote:
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2010/03/sullenbergers-last-flight-toda.html/

You make a lot of good points, Dan. I'm not really a typical Eastwood fan either. After all, I really enjoyed "Letters from Iwo Jima," and I doubt the majority of Eastwood fans have even seen that film.

I value your opinion on this since you've read the book and can offer us an educated perspective. I'm sure the movie will be worth seeing. Tom Hanks is attached to the project and he's done a lot of good films. You may be right that there might be a lot more than meets the eye with this project, and it may turn out to be more interesting than many are expecting. I just want it to be entertaining. With the exception of "Letters from Iwo Jima," "Changeling,' and "Mystic River," I haven't found Clint's post 2000 director only projects to be that entertaining. I don't think I've seen any of the projects he has only directed post 2000 again after having first seen them in theaters. In contrast, I've seen "Gran Torino," "Million Dollar Baby," and "Trouble with the Curve" several times since first seeing them in theaters, and watching them repeatedly is still entertaining for me.
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 06:39:23 PM »

You make a lot of good points, Dan. I'm not really a typical Eastwood fan either. After all, I really enjoyed "Letters from Iwo Jima," and I doubt the majority of Eastwood fans have even seen that film.
I also really enjoyed "Letters from Iwo Jima". I consider it a more thoughtful and human film than "Flags of our Fathers."

I'm rather biased towards "Changeling", since I've corresponded with the screenwriter since 1993. I'm also very familiar with the case that was the basis for the film.

I have high hopes for the Sullenberger Biopic. However, this film could easily become a hagiography since Capt. Sullenberger is such a nice guy.
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2015, 12:04:51 AM »

Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 05:21:55 AM »

Couple of updates........

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-hanks-capt-sully-movie-818208
[Law & Order: Criminal Intent alum Jamey] Sheridan will play the senior air safety investigator who works tirelessly after the crash to investigate what caused it, and how to prevent it from happening in the future.

http://pagesix.com/2015/08/26/sully-scouts-filming-locations-with-views-of-the-hudson/

; ;)
[The film production] is looking for Upper West Side apartments with views of the Hudson River as shooting locations for next month.

“We are looking for apartments on the Upper West Side with views of the Hudson River to feature as filming locations,” it reads. “You are in a building we think might have appropriate apartments for the scenes.”

The shoot will be in September and October.

= = =

This might be an opportunity for KC to have her apartment featured in a Clint Eastwood production.  O0

Since Sully will be filming in New York, I'm hoping that some of the great stage actors from New York and surrounding communities will be cast in this film. Law & Order made regular use of these actors.

I would love to see people such as Paxton Whitehead, James Butler Harner, Cecilia Hart and many others in the cast.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:36:39 AM by Dan Dassow » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2015, 06:50:57 AM »

“We are looking for apartments on the Upper West Side with views of the Hudson River to feature as filming locations,” it reads. “You are in a building we think might have appropriate apartments for the scenes.”

The shoot will be in September and October.

= = =

This might be an opportunity for KC to have her apartment featured in a Clint Eastwood production.  O0

Unfortunately, my apartment doesn't have a river view. But I DO have a great view of the Hudson Hotel, if that's of interest to Clint and his crew! ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T