News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Owning all of Clints movies on DVD that he's ever acted in question  (Read 5043 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 02:46:20 PM »

Those of you who have all or most of Clints movies do you buy them all on stand alone dvd or do you buy like double features or triple features of Clints movies?  Like with the three spaghetti westerns and the Dirty Harry movies do you own each movie on stand alone dvd or do you buy the box set that has each movie in it?  Like do you prefer having each Clint movie on its own dvd and case or do you buy double, triple features and boxet sets? Out of all my Eastwood movies I have all are on stand alone dvd and cases except for The man with no name Leone western trilogy and Dirty Harry.  Both of these I own in a box set that includes each movie in the set.  But all my others are on stand alone dvds.

I prefer the movies on each disc. I do own the Dirty Harry box set and the 35 films box set, so owning more than one copy of the film doesn't bother me. I did buy a five set of Clint DVD's as I didn't have Play Misty For Me and I hadn't seen it in years in the stores, so I bought that for $20 even though I already had the 4 other films.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »

Mine are all stand alone, except for the Man With No Name boxset. Then I bought the GBU extended edition on its own.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 09:47:16 PM »

I've ended up with some double or triple features. Like I bought the western set with High Plains Drifter, Two Mules for Sister Sara, and Joe Kidd. I'd already had High Plains, and the price wasn't bad, so I got it so I could get the other two westerns that I didn't have (and I really enjoy Two Mules).

I also picked up a triple feature of Honkytonk Man, City Heat, and Pink Cadillac, and there too I'd already had Honkytonk Man. And then I've ended up getting rid of the DVD that I already had.

I also have a Blu-ray set of the Every Which Way films on it. I'd had a VHS of one and a DVD of the other, so that one worked out well.

And I do have the Man with No Name and Dirty Harry box sets. I have the DVD and Blu-ray set of the Man with No Name films. I guess part of the reason is I want to hang on to the theatrical cut of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 10:44:51 PM »

As most of you know Im trying to buy all of Clint's movies he's ever starred in as an actor on dvd.  My question is:  There are like 4 movies pre A Fistful of Dollars that he has credited roles in.  Those movies are:  Ambush At Cimmarron Pass, Lafayette Escadrille, The First Traveling Saleslady, Francis in the navy, and a tv movie called Allen in Movieland.  Did Clint have starring roles in each of these movies?  Or did he just have a decent role/part that he was credited for.  These movies I dont think are too good but of course Ive never seen them before so Im not sure.  But I would prefer not buying these because they cost like 16 to 20 bucks a piece.  But if he did have a starring role in these then I guess Ill have to just stick with owning all of his movies he starred in as an actor post A Fistful of Dollars.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 10:50:29 PM »

No, they're all bit parts (don't forget Tarantula). 

How about just searching YouTube for "Clint Eastwood in Tarantula", etc., and the bit parts are probably all online. They aren't worth buying just for seeing Clint in them.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 11:48:09 PM »

Clint was in a total of 11 movies before A Fistful of Dollars, not counting TV appearances such as Allen in Movieland (that is just a variety show; Clint has a small part in a brief dramatic scene). He wasn't credited in most of them, and he mostly only has a minute or so of screen time and a line or two. However, he did have slightly larger roles in the four movies in which he was credited (the four Rawhide7 listed). He was actually billed third in Ambush at Cimarron Pass (1958), which was the last film he appeared in before Fistful in 1964 (he was co-starring in Rawhide in the interval, of course).

Here's a quote from an old post of mine where I summed up his early screen roles. For the purposes of this post, I've put the titles of the films where he was credited in bold.

As for Eastwood's early roles, recall that he was an apprentice in the film business, and not a very successful one, until his breakthrough on the weekly TV series Rawhide in 1959. He wasn't actually an extra (no credit, no lines) in any film, as far as I know, but in all the films in which he appeared, except for the last, he played very minor roles. You wouldn't call them cameos exactly; that term is usually applied to a small role taken by a well-known person. You could call them bit parts. Here is the list, with Eastwood's role:

Revenge of the Creature (1955) (uncredited) .... Lab Technician (has a minute or so of screen time in a "comic relief" role; a few lines)

Francis in the Navy (1955) .... Jonesey (one of the hero's Navy pals; quite a bit of screen time, but no memorable lines and no closeups)

Lady Godiva (1955) (uncredited) .... First Saxon (I think he may have one line, something like "They went that way," but I don't recall for sure)

Tarantula (1955) (uncredited) .... Jet Squadron Leader (in charge of napalming the monster; has a couple of lines with reference to this)

Never Say Goodbye (1956) (uncredited) .... Will, another lab assistant of some sort (a few seconds of screen time with Rock Hudson and a few words)

Star in the Dust (1956) (uncredited) .... Tom, ranch hand (passes the hero in the street and says something like "A good day for a hanging," anyone have the exact quote? I do remember that he is obliged to deliver the line with his back to the camera)

Away All Boats (1956) (uncredited) .... Marine (Medic) (again, a few seconds on screen and I think one line: "Dr. Bell's waiting for him in surgery")

The First Traveling Saleslady (1956) .... Lt. Jack Rice, Roughrider (about a five or ten minute part as Carol Channing's love interest; enough screen time to garner him his first mention in the press) [His billing was "And introducing Clint Eastwood."]

Escapade in Japan (1957) (uncredited) ....  Pilot of "One Dumbo," a rescue plane (a couple of pilotish lines)

Lafayette Escadrille (1958) .... George Moseley (insignificant character, part of the WWI American flying corps along with hero, Tab Hunter)

Ambush at Cimarron Pass (1958) .... Keith Williams (this was his first co-starring role, but he called the film "The lousiest Western ever made").

I agree with Matt that you probably wouldn't want to buy these, but they're worth seeing for an Eastwood completist. Actually, I might make an exception for Ambush at Cimarron Pass, despite that crack by Clint ("The lousiest Western ever made"). It's available for free streaming on Amazon, but you have to be a Prime member. Otherwise, you might find the DVD in a bargain bin somewhere.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 12:14:59 AM »

Actually, I might make an exception for Ambush at Cimarron Pass, despite that crack by Clint ("The lousiest Western ever made"). It's available for free streaming on Amazon, but you have to be a Prime member. Otherwise, you might find the DVD in a bargain bin somewhere.

That's good to know. Maybe I'll watch it -- I have Prime, and I've never seen it.
Shannonsmith1993

Email
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 03:59:43 AM »

So far for me I try to get the ones he's acted in but may get Jersey Boys too eventually, besides the fact Clint directed it my moms been begging me to go see it live too ;D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 08:06:33 AM »

I've thought about getting the Creature from the Black Lagoon collection (it's a three movie set). I already have that first one by itself, but haven't seen the others. But maybe I'll just check with some libraries for Revenge of the Creature.

I thought about ordering Trouble with the Curve and The Rookie yesterday on DVD. Both are cheap on Amazon. I've also realized that I'm not entirely sure what all I have on DVD. Like it seems like I might have gotten a DVD with both Absolute Power and True Crime on it, and I was trying to think if I had Heartbreak Ridge on DVD. :D I guess that means you have a bunch of DVDs when you don't remember what all you have! I have VHS copies of The Rookie and Heartbreak Ridge, so I would'nt mind making sure I have the DVDs for them.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 01:43:10 PM »

Well figure it out!  ;)

Take an inventory if you must, but get the movies you're missing and do the Eastwood movie challenge with us (as much as possible!)
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 09:03:53 PM »

Thanks Everybody,

Yes I would like to see every single movie Clint has ever acted in even the very small bit part uncredited roles.  But I defenately wont be buying his bit part uncredited role movies.  For me I just dont think I would like those movies enough to justify spending the money and taking up more storage space.  But based on KC's list of the 11 movies pre Fistful of Dollars the only movie Clint stars in or co-stars in is Ambush at Cimarron Pass.  Did I get that right?  Cimarron pass is the only movie that he stars in/co-stars in pre Fistful of dollars?  All the other movies he doesnty really have much screen time at all.  As of right now I think I will include Ambush at Cimarron Pass as one that I will buy on dvd that way I can say I own every movie Clint has ever starred in or co-starred in.  So basically Cimarron Pass and The Withches are the only two movies of his that he starred in that Im buying only to have all of his starring role movies.  If Cimarron pass is available on dvd and if The Withches is still available to buy as a special made to order dvd.  These two movies are two that I probably wouldnt want to watch at all.  And Im buying The Revenge of the creature just because I think it would be cool to own the movie he first appeared in.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 02:05:34 AM »

That sounds right, Rawhide7. :)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 06:25:24 AM »

Well figure it out!  ;)

Take an inventory if you must, but get the movies you're missing and do the Eastwood movie challenge with us (as much as possible!)
Yeah, I'll have to go through all of those soon. As far as the Eastwood movie challenge, I should be able to rent or check out any of the movies I don't already own.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 10:25:42 AM »

I just bought this set. I already owned Gran Torino, which had been a gift a few years ago, so this makes for a good buy, and cheap at $10 for the four movies. O0

And... I've never even seen J. Edgar before!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »

A great purchase!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 08:05:42 PM »

I've also realized that I'm not entirely sure what all I have on DVD. Like it seems like I might have gotten a DVD with both Absolute Power and True Crime on it, and I was trying to think if I had Heartbreak Ridge on DVD. :D I guess that means you have a bunch of DVDs when you don't remember what all you have! I have VHS copies of The Rookie and Heartbreak Ridge, so I would'nt mind making sure I have the DVDs for them.
Well figure it out!  ;)

I'm in the process of moving, so I was going through some movies to take with me, and did find the Absolute Power and True Crime double DVD. O0
Shannonsmith1993

Email
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 07:44:44 PM »

Those of you who have all or most of Clints movies do you buy them all on stand alone dvd or do you buy like double features or triple features of Clints movies?  Like with the three spaghetti westerns and the Dirty Harry movies do you own each movie on stand alone dvd or do you buy the box set that has each movie in it?  Like do you prefer having each Clint movie on its own dvd and case or do you buy double, triple features and boxet sets? Out of all my Eastwood movies I have all are on stand alone dvd and cases except for The man with no name Leone western trilogy and Dirty Harry.  Both of these I own in a box set that includes each movie in the set.  But all my others are on stand alone dvds.

I try to buy doubles sometimes triple  ;D for example a couple weeks ago I bought Dirty Harry with Escape From Alcatraz in a double collection, and my boyfriend bought me a Western collection for 35$ that includes Man With New Name and Hang Em High  :D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2016, 02:29:54 PM »

I just ordered Space Cowboys, Heartbreak Ridge, and The Rookie on DVD to add to my collection.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2016, 08:43:18 PM »

I just ordered Space Cowboys, Heartbreak Ridge, and The Rookie on DVD to add to my collection.

That's cool Christopher

Are u getting close to owning every one of his movies he's acted in.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2016, 08:56:52 PM »

Yeah, Million Dollar Baby might be the only one I don't own that he stars in.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T