News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Photographers thread: Show us your stuff!!  (Read 16951 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 01:51:19 PM »

oh that's cool  8)

Here's the GGB again.

Where are you at to get that shot?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2015, 02:00:58 PM »

Last bridge construction shot -- this time I changed it to B&W because the subject was simpler and it worked better. These are the footprints of the bridge -- the pile drivings.

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2015, 02:33:28 PM »

Where are you at to get that shot?
Land's End Coastal Trail (one of my favorite spots in SF) :)

You bridge photos are impressive. Mainly because unless you see this, you don't really realize how much work goes into building these structures. It's one thing to see a bridge, it's another to see how it was built.

How long did it take to build the Bayside Bridge?

By the way, these crane baskets look scary!  :o

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for himů" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:44 PM »

Land's End Coastal Trail (one of my favorite spots in SF) :)

You bridge photos are impressive. Mainly because unless you see this, you don't really realize how much work goes into building these structures. It's one thing to see a bridge, it's another to see how it was built.

How long did it take to build the Bayside Bridge?

By the way, these crane baskets look scary!  :o

It was a 3 year job. A lot of coastal environmental protection on one side of the bridge to preserve rare species habitats. It made it so a lot of the work had to be done with small crews and not a lot of heavy machinery.

I was giving the foremen heart-attacks because I didn't have any fear at the time, and I remember telling the crane operator to take it higher, and he said it was as high as it went -- he was kinda dumbfounded.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2015, 02:47:49 PM »

I've always wanted to get out to San Francisco specifically to photograph the GGB, so I'm jealous.

I found this photo of the completed Bayside Bridge from a somewhat similar angle on Flickr, photo credit to:  "Christopher George".  Placed it beside my construction photo to get an idea of the work that goes into the construction.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:51:35 PM by Matt » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2015, 09:30:21 PM »

I love photographing bridges.

I was going to post this shot last week but thought no one would be interested. It's not a stunning shot but it's a pic of the Sydney Harbour Bridge from underneath. Really only one end of it. I took it a couple of years ago when we were on a harbour cruise and thought it would be cool to show a different side of the bridge from the one everyone sees.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2015, 09:38:51 PM »

I like it. Keep posting, SK. I like to see everyone's photos. Yours brought to mind a really good memory for me. My grandmother took me to NYC when I was 14. It was my first time there. We went on the Circle Line cruise, and I had a little 110 camera (bear in mind this is 1979).  I got so excited by the bridges, that I asked her to buy me more film. And more film. And more. And more. And ... well, I think I shot about 8 rolls of film on that 3 hour cruise. And film on the cruise ship wasn't cheap. She took me on that trip for saving for over a year of her social security payments. I was a troubled youth, and it was the first time I felt really loved by someone. And so your picture, even though it was't the same bridge, reminded me of that earliest excitement of photography.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2015, 09:38:51 AM »

This one was taken from an airboat ride through the Florida Everglades. It's one of the few I've printed and framed for a friend.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2015, 09:51:47 AM »

This one is for KC, who likes cute & cuddly. This is a zoo pic.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »

This is a marina in Gallatin, TN.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2015, 10:56:11 AM »

Here's a fun one....

I was really disappointed with some pics I got from my last trip to Florida. I posted earlier that I was having dinner with my father at a waterside restaurant, and the sun was setting, so I took off to get some pics before the light was gone. When I looked at what I got, most were blurry -- there wasn't enough light. I did get one pic that was clear, but it was horrible. There was no subject, the composition was crap, and it was a throw-away. Sometimes I like to take one like that in Photoshop and just go nuts on it to see if I can make it interesting. So here's the before and after. I like the after... it's more like a painting. It's not a great photo, but it does help with Photoshop skills to do these kind of exercises.

Before:

After:

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »

This thread title sounds slightly elitist. I asked AB to do a thread like this to distinguish it from the thread for great pics we find online. But, this is for ANYONE here to post pictures that YOU take. No matter what level you consider your photography, we'll enjoy looking at your photos.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »

This one is for KC, who likes cute & cuddly. This is a zoo pic.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ...! It's a red panda, no? 8)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ...! It's a red panda, no? 8)

It's a red panda, yes!  Of course you knew that. I wanted to see if you'd know, and you did.  :)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2015, 01:46:07 AM »

Before:

After:

To be completely honest, I don't dislike the "before". It needed cropping for sure. It's not uninteresting.

Oh and I like the previous one in Tenessee. I like the reflection on the water. Very nice.

This thread title sounds slightly elitist. I asked AB to do a thread like this to distinguish it from the thread for great pics we find online. But, this is for ANYONE here to post pictures that YOU take. No matter what level you consider your photography, we'll enjoy looking at your photos.
Yeah. Elitist. I thought the exact same thing. We could always change the title to make it sound a little more welcoming.
Like... *Photographers welcome! Show us YOUR stuff!* or something like that :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for himů" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2015, 01:53:15 AM »

We could always change the title to make it sound a little more welcoming.
Like... *Photographers welcome! Show us YOUR stuff!* or something like that :D

Yes! That would be better. You can edit the first post of the thread.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »

One of my favorite photographers is Clyde Butcher (who studied under Ansel Adams, and you can see Ansel's influence in Clyde's work).  Clyde shoots on large format, but that was way too much for me. When I decided I wanted to expand my photography more into their style, I built a darkroom and bought a medium format Mamiya RB67.

And here's some photos from my darkroom.

What's really great about medium format photography is that if I wanted to I could blow any of these up pretty huge without significant loss of detail.  I haven't done that yet - none of these were printed on anything larger than 8" x 10". And as tempting as it is to want to push the contrasts or play with these a little in Photoshop, after all the trouble to develop my own film and print them, using all the cool techniques that I spent many long hours trying to perfect, it doesn't feel right to even pull them up in Photoshop. So these are just scanned directly from the 8x10 prints.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:08:34 AM by Matt » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2015, 06:41:38 PM »

This one was taken from an airboat ride through the Florida Everglades. It's one of the few I've printed and framed for a friend.

I love this shot! But I also find myself searching for any hidden alligators in it! :o
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2015, 08:35:52 PM »

This great topic has had a name change. 8)

The Photographers thread: Show us your stuff!!

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2015, 09:17:59 PM »

I love this shot! But I also find myself searching for any hidden alligators in it! :o

There are probably a lot of them! If you're on a large airboat, the drivers will bring a bag of marshmallows and throw a few into the swamp. Within seconds, alligators pop up to snap them up.

I was on a small boat for that shot, and it was one of those days when you're aggravated because you don't think you're getting anything. I've been in the 'Glades and have seen Bald Eagles and have always wanted to get a really great shot of one. So it seemed like a failed trip to come home with no wildlife, just swamps. Nothing like what Clyde Butcher would have come home with, I'm sure. But, I too fell in love with the simplicity of the water lilles and the marsh path. It came out beautiful printed and matted and framed.

I lived close to Clyde Butcher's studio when I lived in South Florida, and his studio/museum is spectacular. He does workshops in the Everglades, and I spoke with his wife about signing up for one. I got a little scared at the idea of spending two days in hip boots in the Everglades swamps. I never did it, and I regret that.

Here's a cool article of someone who did just that, and a picture. They're insane. But his photos are worth it.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/playout/tag/clyde-butcher/

Click here - I made the Google search easy. Now THAT is some beautiful photography:  Clyde Butcher
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T