News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint: to smoke to no smoke?  (Read 2075 times)
icnmedia

MWNN still rules!

View Profile Email
« on: December 20, 2015, 06:34:34 AM »

What movie(s) did clint smoke and what did he not smoke?
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »

It seems like he did in most of his movies.  Really cant break it down to which ones.  Some he smoked in more than others.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »

All his westerns, though I can't recall with Pale Rider. Then in White Hunter, Black Heart (most notably), Gran Torino, City Heat, Heartbreak Ridge... Pretty sure about The Beguiled. I want to say Firefox, but not sure.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:21:21 PM »

He smoked in many of the westerns, but I don't think he smoked in "Unforgiven" or "Pale Rider." Did he?

I know he also smoked in "True Crime" and "Trouble with the Curve."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 03:24:43 PM »

He smoked in Bridges.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 03:28:02 PM »

My avatar -- he smoked in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 05:55:28 PM »

He also doesn't smoke in The Outlaw Josey Wales. Just chew.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:18:01 AM »

All his westerns, though I can't recall with Pale Rider. Then in White Hunter, Black Heart (most notably), Gran Torino, City Heat, Heartbreak Ridge... Pretty sure about The Beguiled. I want to say Firefox, but not sure.

No-smoke as I remember:

Rawhide tv series
Hang Em High
Joe Kidd
Beguiled
Eiger Sanction
Coogan
Drifter (I have replayed the film several times now, in my memory, and cannot recall seeing Drifter smoke. He DID drink his bottle of whisky.)
Josey Wales
Pale Rider
Unforgiven
Billy Bronco
Misty
Dirty Harry
Magnum Force
Enforcer
(cannot remember the Dirty Harry film name of no. 4, the one with the Automag pistol and the Sondra Locke costar)
Got it now! Sudden Impact
Dead Pool
Firefox
Monkey movies, Every Which Way But Loose and
Any Which Way 

Enough for now. My memory is overheating. I own and have watched half or probably less of his films. It seems to me like his character was smoking in half or less of those I have watched.

I'm not gonna binge watch his films just to catch him smoking.

In the interest of truth in film-watching, I warmly welcome anyone to correct my foolish mistakes.

I think I read somewhere that Clint has never been a habitual smoker, so the role of Josey Wales must have taken some "adjustment".

Man

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:07:43 AM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
icnmedia

MWNN still rules!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 04:10:13 AM »

no, he did smoke in drifter. Remember after he killed the bad guys while trying to get a shave and Billy Curtis stood by him...? In coogan he smokes a cigarette.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 04:45:16 AM »

Enough for now. My memory is overheating.

If you want to call it that. He's smoking in High Plains Drifter when he's shot at in the bath tub, when he's teaching the towns folk to shoot, and plenty of other times. It's a cigar the woman knocks out of his mouth before the rape scene. He also smokes in a few other movies you don't remember him smoking in, but hey, at least you didn't list For a Few Dollars More, so I must give you some credit.

The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 07:37:12 AM »

no, he did smoke in drifter. Remember after he killed the bad guys while trying to get a shave and Billy Curtis stood by him...? In coogan he smokes a cigarette.

No, Jack, as I wrote, I was working from MY MEMORY of seeing the films.

Thanks for showing me how sensitive you are to being challenged. Why are you so sensitive to being challenged?

As for me, I don't give a spit. I know that I am a worthwhile human. Even If I don't have a picture perfect memory.

Manwith

The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 07:44:12 AM »

If you want to call it that. He's smoking in High Plains Drifter when he's shot at in the bath tub, when he's teaching the towns folk to shoot, and plenty of other times. It's a cigar the woman knocks out of his mouth before the rape scene. He also smokes in a few other movies you don't remember him smoking in, but hey, at least you didn't list For a Few Dollars More, so I must give you some credit.

Yeah, Jack, call it that. And if you feel so generous, give me some credit. After all, it's all yours to give, isn't it?

See my other recent post.

The first time in 20 years that I saw Drifter was a handful of months ago when I was in the hospital chuck full of morphine to try to kill the pain. Its lucky I didn't remember Martians in the tub with drifter.

You are too sensitive to being found wrong or incompetent. Why?

Does this argument mean that that you are not gonna ask me for a date?

Man
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:50:51 AM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 02:43:51 PM »

You are too sensitive to being found wrong or incompetent. Why?

Does this argument mean ...

Huh? Sounds to me like major projecting on your part. And it wasn't an argument. Or were you arguing with me and I didn't realize it? Maybe that's it. In which case, what is your argument, that he doesn't smoke cigars in nearly all his westerns? I think we've established he doesn't in Unforgiven, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and Pale Rider (that any of us seem to remember), and he does in all the others. Is there more to your argument, or can you finally laugh it off and move on?

icnmedia

MWNN still rules!

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 02:49:33 PM »

"Bravo"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 02:50:29 PM »

Yeah, let's move on. We're all Eastwood fans here (and we're all three Beatles fans too if I remember correctly from earlier posts). Let it all go before someone leaves, and I'd hate to see either of you leave.

So since I can't think of any movies that he smokes or doesn't smoke in that aren't already mentioned (though I'm almost positive he wouldn't smoke in Space Cowboys), I'll move it along with an aside...  how on earth did Clint manage to do all that smoking in his films, and never want to smoke in real life? It's extremely addicting!
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 03:20:19 PM »

I think the better question is how did he do all that smoking and not want to puke out his guts? Although I'm sure he probably used to smoke the occasional cigar, but still...

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »

He said the little cigars from the spaghetti westerns used to put him in the proper foul mood because they tasted so bad.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 01:31:35 AM »

As an ex smoker I can tell right away that Clint isn't a smoker...
For some reason it's very obvious to me in True Crime...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T