News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wayback Machine - Our Forum  (Read 3378 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 05:09:05 AM »

I am still digging, but I know you were here in July, 2001.  We have your post here (which was brought over from the old board):

Ha, seems like a half-way intelligent and insightful post.  8) The reason I can pin it down to July is because I moved from Ohio to Las Vegas at the very end of May, or there abouts. So I remember thinking since I didn't really know anybody here, I might as well register with the Clint Eastwood board and interact with y'all, since I'd probably been aware of the CEWB for months, if not a year before then. I was a very light lurker, and felt slightly intimidated, but I got over my shyness. Ahh.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »

I was a very light lurker, and felt slightly intimidated, but I got over my shyness. Ahh.

;D  I'm glad you did! (Doug intimidated by us:D ) The board is better for it.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2016, 03:04:46 AM »

The very first (old, old or old, old old) board.

https://web.archive.org/web/19980110135250/http://www.man-with-no-name.com/messageboard/wwwboard.html

And the very first post ...

Posted by Cal Anderson on November 11, 1997 at 22:46:45:

Welcome! Hope this Board serves as a good place to discuss The Man With No Name !

https://web.archive.org/web/19980110172905/http://www.man-with-no-name.com/messageboard/messages/3.html

I joined around Thanksgiving of 1998, if memory serves. I had lurked for a while before that.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2016, 07:54:32 AM »

Sounds like you're all a bunch of creepers lurking around all the time! :D ;) ;D

Actually I can relate. I think I'd found the board initially a while before joining, and I remember reading through parts of some threads. Like there was the one about The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and Unforgiven (that one might have even been brought over from the old board). I remember seeing the gay subtext Thunderbolt and Lightfoot thread long ago too, but I don't know if I was already a member yet at that time.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »

Sounds like you're all a bunch of creepers lurking around...

Maybe this will change your tune on the Wayback Machine:  http://web.archive.org/web/20050218012405/http://www.hilaryduff.com/html_2003/main_site/frameset.htm

She never ages in that World, Christopher.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2016, 10:58:54 AM »

;D
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2016, 06:16:17 PM »

AKA's join date was 6/20/2000

And here's one of his first "speculative" threads. :)

https://web.archive.org/web/20010429191811/http://www.clinteastwood.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000754.html

This is such a refreshing blast from the past. Thanks for digging this up, Matt! I also looked up my contributions to a review thread of "Space Cowboys," which was my first Clint Eastwood review on here. My reaction from reading all that is that I think that those posts were pretty articulate and cogent given that I was only 16 years old at the time! I also definitely think I've engaged in much less speculation as the years have passed, so progress is definitely being made on all sorts of levels! ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:18:54 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »

Maybe this will change your tune on the Wayback Machine:  http://web.archive.org/web/20050218012405/http://www.hilaryduff.com/html_2003/main_site/frameset.htm

She never ages in that World, Christopher.

The Wayback Machine was just down from being overloaded due to a traffic increase on hilaryduff.com.  You shouldn't have shared that link with Christopher!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2016, 07:03:48 PM »

This is such a refreshing blast from the past. Thanks for digging this up, Matt! I also looked up my contributions to a review thread of "Space Cowboys," which was my first Clint Eastwood review on here. My reaction from reading all that is that I think that those posts were pretty articulate and cogent given that I was only 16 years old at the time! I also definitely think I've engaged in much less speculation as the years have passed, so progress is definitely being made on all sorts of levels! ;)

I always enjoyed your posts, and thought you wrote very well for someone your age. I really thought you were 14 when you joined though... I bet I'm thinking of Masterchief (Josh).

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2016, 08:31:10 PM »

I joined around Thanksgiving of 1998, if memory serves. I had lurked for a while before that.

Do you have any threads saved from that time period on your computer?

When we moved from the old board to this board, I saved almost all the threads to my hard drive -- but dang if I didn't lose it all somewhere along the way between computer changes over the years.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2016, 09:24:57 PM »

Ah yes, the "Free Ones" thread.  Some threads are a slow burn (I recall a few Unforgiven and TGTBTU threads like that), but that one was a instant legend.  The board scribes and chroniclers hammered that into the holy CEWB stone tablets o' lore immediately.

EDIT: I think she at least has that one.  I recall seeing it back in the middle 2000s the last time we tripped down thread memory lane.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:32:49 PM by Conan » Logged

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2016, 10:02:43 PM »

Is "Free Ones" an Unforgiven reference? I can only imagine what that thread must have been like! :o
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2016, 10:43:46 PM »

Is "Free Ones" an Unforgiven reference? I can only imagine what that thread must have been like! :o

DELILAH
Them other two, your friends, they been taking advances on the payment.

MUNNY
Advances?

DELILAH
(She sits next to him)
Free ones.

MUNNY
Free ones?

DELILAH
Alice and Silky have been giving them free ones.

MUNNY
I see.

DELILAH
Would you like a free one?

MUNNY
(He looks at her)
No, I uh, I guess not.

DELILAH
I, uh, I didn't mean with me. I meant that Alice and Silky would be happy to give you a free one if you wanted one. That's all I meant.

Do you have any threads saved from that time period on your computer?

I do have some, and more than I remembered. But ...

Ah yes, the "Free Ones" thread.  Some threads are a slow burn (I recall a few Unforgiven and TGTBTU threads like that), but that one was a instant legend.  The board scribes and chroniclers hammered that into the holy CEWB stone tablets o' lore immediately.

EDIT: I think she at least has that one.  I recall seeing it back in the middle 2000s the last time we tripped down thread memory lane.

... I can't locate that one in particular. So far, at least.

Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2016, 08:25:51 AM »

Here are two I have:

http://www.boltactiongame.com/Quotes - CEWB.html
http://www.boltactiongame.com/The GOOD the BAD and the UGLY or UNFORGIVEN - CEWB.html

The second link was the beginning of a marathon thread.  Sorry about the missing images...Just use your imagination :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:26:53 AM by Conan » Logged

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2016, 11:49:24 AM »

Here are two I have:

http://www.boltactiongame.com/Quotes - CEWB.html
http://www.boltactiongame.com/The GOOD the BAD and the UGLY or UNFORGIVEN - CEWB.html

The second link was the beginning of a marathon thread.  Sorry about the missing images...Just use your imagination :)

Conan you were holding back! Thanks for those threads -- actually, Steve's thread was brought over to this board from the old board (Steve's "The GOOD the BAD and the UGLY or UNFORGIVEN Thread"), but... we didn't have a snapshot of it in time from before KC or GMAT were moderators.  So, we can tell from that thread that they both became moderators somewhere between 3/13/99 and 4/11/99. ACTUALLY -- now that I notice that the thread wasn't in the Western forum (which KC moderated) or the General Discussion forum (which GMAT moderated), but was in the "RECEPTION AREA", I really don't know if anyone other than Cal moderated that forum back then.  KC, we still need more information from you to sort this out.

So, here's the basic timeline:

02/1996   www.clinteastwood.net site created
11/11/97  CEWB's first message board was opened
11/1998   Steve, Conan, KC, GMAT and Holden Pike join the CEWB
1/27/99    Philo joins the CEWB
03/1999   GMAT and KC become the board's first moderators
1/2000     Jake and mgk join the CEWB (mgk would become the board's 3rd moderator at some point shortly thereafter)
01/2000   Allycat joins the CEWB
3/25/00   D'Ambrosia joins the CEWB
05/00      Agent joins the CEWB
6/20/00   AKA23 joins the CEWB
01/01     Mitchel Gant joins the CEWB (later changes name to Gant)
2/22/01   Matt joins the CEWB
3/19/01   BDC28 joins the CEWB
04/01      Daisy joins the CEWB
4/5/01    Birth of the Off Topic Forum
07/01      Doug joins the CEWB
07/01      Nightwing joins the CEWB (later changes name to Brendan)
02/02      Christopher joins the CEWB
06/02     Xichado joins the CEWB
08/02     GMAT steps down as Moderator, Matt becomes board's 4th Moderator
11/02     This incarnation of the board is created
12/02     This board is launched to members
03/04     tgy joins the CEWB (later changes name to The Schofield Kid)
8/11/04   Lin Sunderland joins the CEWB
11/2/04   Americanbeauty joins the CEWB
9/2/05    mgk steps down as Moderator, Brendan becomes the board's 5th Moderator
3/31/07   Matt steps down as Moderator, D'Ambrosia and Schofield Kid become board's 6th and 7th Moderators
12/2010   D'Ambrosia's last post, unofficially resigns as Moderator
01/20/11  Brendan steps down as Moderator, Lin becomes board's 8th Moderator
12/3/12  Cal Anderson steps down as website administrator and passes the torch to Richard
09/23/14  Lin Sunderland resigns as Moderator

Can I just say that November 1998 was a magical month for this board?  :)

If any other members from the early board are here and remember their join dates, speak up.  I'll tweak this post as I gather more information. I know there's some inaccuracies right now, but it's going to take some more information and digging to get it 100% right.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 09:07:41 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »

Ally mentions the star system in that thread... I remember that! Can't say there was ever much reason for it, but if I remember right, Matt was the one that first rated me. ;D

Look what I found today while searching for more board history going through the Endless, Pointless Thread. Now I know why I gave you the five star rating. It was for the "Thunderbolt & Lightfoot Gay/No Way Debate". O0

Originally posted by Matt, 04-19-2002 08:55 PM

Regardless of any inappropriateness, you've gotten stars, kid. Cause anyone who takes my side in a debate against GMAT deserves 'em.

I've had people PM me to complain about my tone in debates, and think I'm angry when I'm not. When I'm debating, I'm out to win. I'm extremely competitive. But, I'm very rarely angry when I post here. I'm not at all surprised I'd repay you with stars for being on my side of a debate.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:20:55 PM by Matt » Logged
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2016, 03:39:46 PM »

11/1998   Steve, Conan, KC, GMAT and Holden Pike join the CEWB

We were on the previous CEWB board as well, though I don't know for how long and that first version was so rough that I don't think you could "register".  Which is why right when the 2nd version started, everyone from the first CEWB incarnation registered at the same time (Nov '98).

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »

Ahhh, that makes sense. So, you were all on the threaded board?
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2016, 06:17:27 PM »

Ahhh, that makes sense. So, you were all on the threaded board?

Yea it was pretty basic.  I think you had to key in a username each time.  I was on for a while, a matter of months I would guess, and then the 2nd version of the board came along.

I was bored in a college programming lab and was browsing around using WebCrawler (remember that?) when I first found the site.  I thought that was fall '97, but it could have been Spring '98.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2016, 06:29:48 PM »

Yes, haha, I remember web crawler. I didn't find anything useful on that. :)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T