News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 Academy Awards Thread  (Read 27124 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #120 on: February 29, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »

Not a fan. I missed a lot of the awards, including the opening which would be the most important to rate him on... but from what I saw, it was too much. I do support additional diversity in the Academy, as we saw in another thread here, but he made his point. It was a bit disrespectful to the nominees who were there in what should have been their moment, and cast a shadow on whether or not they should have been nominated at all. I thought the "Black History Month" segment was enough, but from the bits and pieces I saw, he came back to the subject time and time again. He made his point, and others did well before last night. It wasn't necessary to belabor the point all through the show.

Nicely put, Matt. I totally agree with you! Anyone else have thoughts?
Shannonsmith1993

Email
« Reply #121 on: February 29, 2016, 04:18:35 PM »

They missed a couple celebrities in the memoriam part such as Abe Vagoda, Geoffrey Lewis and who knows who else
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #122 on: February 29, 2016, 11:24:42 PM »

You knew the main topic of the jokes all night were going to be about the controversy of no black nominees and Rock milked it until it was dry. I just didn't find him all that amusing. Some OK jokes through the night but nothing that I laughed out loud. I said after the opening monologue how much I miss Billy Crystal hosting the show. At least with Billy, you'd get real big laughs.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2016, 12:27:16 AM »

I wasn't a fan of the girl scout cookies being sold during the show either. I know it's for a good cause, but c'mon. The cameras came off of them while the show continued, and they sold $65k worth of cookies... how distracting was that while some people were getting awards? And not only that, it was just so disgusting to see a bunch of rich people waving money around (and yes, little black girls collecting it). Bad taste, even if it WAS a good cause.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2016, 05:59:22 AM »

I wonder if that girl scouts thing was a shallow attempt to counteract some of the bad press, or maybe I'm overly cynical.

Its awesome that "Mad Max: Fury Road" cleaned up like it did.  That flick was one of the best action movies I've seen in years.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2016, 08:51:12 AM »

I watched about half of the Academy Awards program last weekend.  I was curious to see how Chris Rock would do and I thought he did a good job.  He wasn’t negative.  He made his point in a relevant way and was also humorous.  I think he was smart not to go overboard in that it could harm his career.   

As for Mad Max, I can’t, for the life of me, understand why that film was even nominated.  No offense to those who like the film but I thought it was the worst film since Star Trek V and Rocky V.  Just horrendous.  I just don’t understand how Mad Max: Fury Road was nominated for anything at all, while Concussion was ignored.  I am going to give it another chance sometime and watch it again but I don't think my opinion will change.  I heard the next morning that DiCaprio won best actor for The Revenant and I thought that was well deserved. 

As usual, the program is way too long.  At least Chris Rock kept it interesting but I’d hate to think we’d need controversy every year to keep it interesting and entertaining.  If Billy Crystal could host the way he’d done the first few times, I’d say bring him back because he’s the best.  Otherwise, chop this award ceremony/program in half already.  Keep the major categories and get rid of the majority of stuff most don’t care or want to even hear about. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:52:47 AM by Jed (Brian) Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2016, 09:42:43 AM »

I agree, Jed. I tried to watch "Mad Max: Fury Road" and I turned it off after half an hour because I really hated it.

In my opinion, I do think that Chris Rock went overboard with the racial stuff. I think it was fine for him to have addressed it, since it was an important issue, but he made it the central focus of his hosting for 3.5 hours, and I thought that was inappropriate. I did enjoy the part where he went to a movie theater in a black neighborhood and asked them whether or not they had seen any of the Best Picture nominees, and almost none of them had, while they all saw "Straight Outta Compton." I thought that was amusing.

I do agree that the Oscars are way too long. There is a lot of filler that could be cut. For example, I don't think they really need the banter between presenters and the introductions after each award. If they just had the presenter announce the nominees and the winner, without additional commentary, that would save a lot of time. I think they could also get rid of most of the skits.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2016, 09:57:05 AM »

I agree, Jed. I tried to watch "Mad Max: Fury Road" and I turned it off after half an hour because I really hated it.

In my opinion, I do think that Chris Rock went overboard with the racial stuff. I think it was fine for him to have addressed it, since it was an important issue, but he made it the central focus of his hosting for 3.5 hours, and I thought that was inappropriate. I did enjoy the part where he went to a movie theater in a black neighborhood and asked them whether or not they had seen any of the Best Picture nominees, and almost none of them had, while they all saw "Straight Outta Compton." I thought that was amusing.

I do agree that the Oscars are way too long. There is a lot of filler that could be cut. For example, I don't think they really need the banter between presenters and the introductions after each award. If they just had the presenter announce the nominees and the winner, without additional commentary, that would save a lot of time. I think they could also get rid of most of the skits.

Well, it really is much ado about nothing.  Too much hype just leading up to the program, never mind the show itself.  That makes it worse.  An hour's worth of pre-show coverage.  Just my opinion.  Sure, I don't have to watch but that's not the point.  There's such a big deal made out of the Academy Awards ceremony and it's unnecessary.  These guys aren't curing cancer, after all.  Sure, have the program but cut the time in half and make it more interesting.  Make sure winners don't go overboard with their speeches.  Tell them 15 seconds and you're done!   

“Eyuh.”
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2016, 06:43:25 AM »

I am a movie fan and an Oscar fan. I have watched every ceremony in its entirety since 1981, and pieces of them before that. The Oscars telecast has always been and will always be a bloated, clunky thing that runs too long. It has always been thus, and shall forever be, as was decreed by the cinema Gods. If you go back to even just clips of ceremonies from the '60s, '70s, and '80s, there were always jokes about how long and boring it is made during the telecast. They tweak it this way and that, take away some of the variety show hallmarks that were there at its inception in a long ago era, but keep others. Doing away with the interpretive dance segments that accompanies sections of the nominated Original Scores being played was a welcome cut....that didn't come until 1999. They have tried being militant about the length of acceptance speeches, they tried having those "lesser" technical awards that the public cares less about be accepted from their seats rather than walking all the way to the stage, the nominated songs are usually so dull it doesn't matter how talented the person singing them is or what kind of production values they put around them, they have separated the Governor's Awards (lifetime achievement and humanitarian awards) to an unbroadcasted evening prior to the Oscars, and on and on. But no matter what they do, it's always tediously long, "nobody cares" about many if any of the awards outside of the Big Eight (Picture, Director, the four acting, and two screenplays), and everybody and anybody complains about it every single year. Every. Single. Year.

My take is....so frippin' what? That's what the Oscars are. Complaining about having the burden of wading through Best Documentary Short Subject and both Sound Mixing and Sound Effects Editing to me starts to sound like my Mother complaining about how boring the Super Bowl is. "Why can't they just show the plays where somebody scores? Why did we just watch a pile move an inch and six whistles and three flags were thrown?" You gots ta show every single snap, and you have to show every Academy Award. That's what the Academy Awards are. If you don't give a sh!t about the technical categories either don't watch or hey, maybe learn to appreciate what each of these departments do in making the finished movies you love. You may not care about the technical categories, but I guarantee you Clint Eastwood cares very much about how good his costume department is and loves it when his editor or cinematographer or any of the hundreds of people who work on his movies get recognized with nominations and wards. Do you think the people who work on these films care about the costumes and effects? They better. If you don't, it's simple, don't watch. Also, try seeing as many of the movies as you can before the ceremony. If it doesn't give you a rooting interest at least you'll have a fuller appreciation for what is going on.

The Oscars are one night a year. Could the four-hour marathon be turned into a tightly produced one hour sprint? Of course it could. They could do it like the early days of the Academy Awards, just have a private dinner and at the end say, 'Hey, come get your statue' and be done with the ceremony part in twenty-three minutes. But the Oscars as a telecast is a long, cheesy, sometime aggravating show. But when you do get those rare moments of somebody screwing up or emoting in an honest way or an off-the-cuff joke that becomes Oscar lore, those things are all the more beloved and lasting because of the format they all-too-seldomly appear in. Making the show shorter would not manufacture interesting things happening, but it would actually leave less room for things to happen organically. Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

In the words of the great poet of our time, hater's gonna hate, hate, hate, and bashing how boring the Oscars are is as time-tested and inevitable as Monday morning quarterbacking after the big game.

I can hardly wait until next year.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:55:20 AM by Holden Pike » Logged

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2016, 07:50:42 AM »

Good point, Holden.  It would be great if the Oscars ceremony was an hour and a half.  Even one hour would be too short.  I know what I'm in for each year when it comes and have to decide to suck it up and sit through the tediousness or just record and skim through at a later date.  While skimming saves the hassle of sitting through all of the unnecessary BS and commercials, it takes away the spontaneity.  I was too curious to see how Chris Rock would handle the controversy not to tune in this year.  I only lasted a little more than 90 minutes and while it turned my stomach to see Mad Max: Fury Road win numerous awards, the program wasn't a complete turnoff.  Had I not been so tired I may have even watched all the way through to the end. 

So yes, I'm in agreement that the Academy Awards telecast is always WAY too long.  I think it all depends on one's frame of mind prior to watching.  You know what you're in for so you can either sit back and try to enjoy, switch channels when it gets too boring and/or record for later viewing.  I am glad for the times Billy Crystal hosted because he breathed life into his broadcasts, making the show entertaining for a change.  Remember the Jack Palance jokes the year he won?  Crystal rode that horse for all it was worth but didn't beat it to death.  It was great.  His openings were always fantastic.  Like the time he rode in on a horse!  I remember him sitting on Clint Eastwood's lap singing Unforgiven to the tune of Unforgettable.  That was great!  Another time we saw him standing in front of a Boston apartment window from the inside with his back to the camera and the same tattoo on his back that Sean Penn had in Mystic River.  I think Billy Crystal has been the best host in a long time and it'd be great to see him, and even other hosts, return to that form. 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:58:33 AM by Jed (Brian) Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2016, 07:58:25 AM »

Holden, thanks for a great post. The Oscar show is as long as it ought to be. I personally don't care for some parts, like the songs, but as a whole ... "It is what it is," as they like to say in sports.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2016, 10:32:21 AM »

I don't mind the length at all. And I can see where Holden's coming from, as someone who truly loves and appreciates all parts of the films we watch and knows who's behind the magic. It's like watching a great Yankees game and having the broadcaster, Michael Kay, talk about the "unmanageable" game, and how it was now almost three hours long. Don't you like baseball? Who cares who long it is, or even the longer, the better... enjoy every minute, or turn it off.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »

In the words of the great poet of our time, hater's gonna hate, hate, hate, and bashing how boring the Oscars are is as time-tested and inevitable as Monday morning quarterbacking after the big game.
A good post, and the Taylor Swift quote is just icing on the cake! ;D
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2016, 02:56:40 PM »

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....   ;)

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2016, 03:49:18 PM »

A good post, and the Taylor Swift quote is just icing on the cake! ;D
And I realized I just added a blonde to my list. ;) :D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »

And I realized I just added a blonde to my list. ;) :D

You do look pretty happy with her in this picture.

Just ... don't let her know there's a "list".
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2016, 07:34:27 PM »

You do look pretty happy with her in this picture.

Just ... don't let her know there's a "list".
:2funny:
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2016, 02:01:40 AM »

I know it's probably time to put this topic to rest. But I've been thinking about the oscars and awards over the last few days. And about the whole sly being snubbed thing. Let me start off by saying I have seen both movies and both men's performances were outstanding. Honestly you can't go wrong with either guy winning. Now I am partial to sly because he is one of my favorite actors. But I think that a tie or really close undecided voter should have went with sly. Because of what he's done for Hollywood and fans for the last 40 yrs. In my opinion it was too close so I would go with Sly winning. He should have also won best actor in 1977 for Rocky.  With that said I don't feel like actors like Eastwood, Stallone , Arnold S, etc should need any awards to validate there careers. Don't get me wrong it is nice to win and it's on record forever. But to me these guys are great no matter if they've won 10 awards or none at all. There is an art to acting. Stallone will never be as good an actor as say Deniro, Hanks, or Denzel. But both Stallone and Eastwood excite me and entertain me. And to me movies are about entertainment and enjoying yourself. Honestly I don't really pay much attention to how well an actor performs. I either like them or I don't. And I've always really enjoyed Eastwood and Stallone very much. They have that likability to them. I would say that most people like them to a certain degree. They are my two favorite actors. I do enjoy watching the Oscars. But for me it doesn't matter how many awards you win all that matters is if you like that movie or actor. I felt like Stallone handled himself in a classy way. And Eastwood would do the same. So to sum it up for me awards don't really matter. Because Eastwood and Stallone are my two favorite actors no matter what awards they've won or haven't won. These two men don't need awards to validate what they've done in there careers.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T