News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best & Worst Restaurant Chains  (Read 3563 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2016, 11:31:49 AM »

What about best seafood places? I personally don't think Red Lobster is that bad. I've eaten there before and I thought that it had pretty decent food. Their cheddar bay biscuits are fantastic, and I don't even like cheese so for me to like them they have to be good!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »

I'm not a seafood person. I have fresh fish when I'm at a Florida waterside restaurant, and I know it's locally caught. That being said, I did once get a gift card for the Bonefish Grill, so I went. It's owned by the same corporation that owns Carrabba's. It was very good.

Red Lobster isn't so bad, but at the risk of sounding like a germophobe, it just grosses me out to be inside one. It's the carpeting, and the rags they use to clean the tables and booths. I can't get past it.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2016, 11:54:20 AM »

McDonald's..... has the best fries. Hands down. I have to admit, I'll go there for chicken sandwiches and fries. Their hamburgers and awful though.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2016, 11:59:28 AM »

I'm not a fast food kind of guy. I don't even really like french fries, but I have to disagree with you here. I think that Five Guys has the best fries. Their cajun fries are delicious, and they give you so many that it's practically a meal in itself.
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »

When it comes to large chains I love Long John Silvers fries! If I find a place that cuts their own potatoes and makes fries I prefer that. There is a burger place called Mooyah and I believe that they are a small burger chain. They cut their fries every day and their burgers are old fashioned juicy as can be.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2016, 12:14:56 PM »

I haven't been to a Long John Silvers, but I do love Five Guys burgers and fries.

There's still something about those McD's fries though.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »

McDonald's..... has the best fries. Hands down. I have to admit, I'll go there for chicken sandwiches and fries. Their hamburgers and awful though.

Some friends of mine aren't fast food fans, but they do say the milkshakes at McDonald's are good. Personally, I can't imagine actually consuming a milkshake at any venue. About the only thing I would ever want at McDonald's is coffee. And the use of the restroom.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »

My new favorite chain ...

http://maison-kayser-usa.com/who-we-are/

I went out in the blizzard today in hopes of finding a newspaper. By the time I had walked from 58th Street to 57th, then a long block east to 8th Avenue, where I finally found an open newsstand (when I praised the proprietor for being open, he replied, "Yes, I'm the champion!") ... I was frozen. I was dressed OK, I thought, but I wasn't prepared for the wind. Plus, I had the wrong gloves on and my hands were like blocks of ice. I required coffee! I staggered over to 58th again, crossed Broadway (someone literally had to help me over a snowbank to even get into the street), and entered the warm oasis that is Kayser's.

http://maison-kayser-usa.com/locations-columbus-circle/

I had a brioche pomme-cannelle (with apples and cinnamon, similar to the one in the picture, though I think that one is pralines) and a café au lait, and it was heavenly. When I finished my café au lait, I told the waiter I required more caffeine, and he refilled my cup with very good brewed black coffee and didn't even charge for it. You can bet I left a hefty tip.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2016, 02:37:23 PM »

First of all, yes that place looks amazing.

Secondly, will you stay in now? You're lucky you didn't fall down the snowbank and get hurt.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2016, 02:59:50 PM »

Yup, I'm in for the rest of the day!

After Kayser's, I went to Time Warner Center, a huge office/residential building in my block which includes a big indoor mall. Most of the shops were closed or just closing when I got there, but the Whole Foods in the basement was open. Normally, I hate Whole Foods, but I did need to do some weekend grocery shopping that I usually do uptown. I had actually been in Whole Foods Friday night, but 1) the line was insane (see AKA's comments on Trader Joe's) and 2) they seemed to be out of most of the things I needed. Thought I might as well try again, since, like Josey Wales, I had nothing better to do. Had a bit better luck this time, though the lines weren't any better. I also took a whole bunch of pictures out the center's big windows facing Columbus Circle/Central Park. Will post some either in the Weather Thread or the Photographer's Thread.

Sorry to stray so far off topic ... it's been that kind of a day! :o
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »

Glad you're in for the day. It's not off-topic -- Whole Foods fits in here in a roundabout way, like Trader Joe's.

I'm not a fan of theirs, either. It's just so overpriced. And there's the prison labor issue.  If you haven't seen it yet, check out this great bit:  Whole Foods - Stephen Colbert

Around here they call it Whole Paycheck.

Our grocery store is Publix, and it's awesome.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:20:12 PM by Matt » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2016, 05:47:36 PM »

My new favorite chain ...

http://maison-kayser-usa.com/who-we-are/

I went out in the blizzard today in hopes of finding a newspaper. By the time I had walked from 58th Street to 57th, then a long block east to 8th Avenue, where I finally found an open newsstand (when I praised the proprietor for being open, he replied, "Yes, I'm the champion!") ... I was frozen. I was dressed OK, I thought, but I wasn't prepared for the wind. Plus, I had the wrong gloves on and my hands were like blocks of ice. I required coffee! I staggered over to 58th again, crossed Broadway (someone literally had to help me over a snowbank to even get into the street), and entered the warm oasis that is Kayser's.

I never knew that you were such a bad ass, KC. O0 Nothing stops you from getting to where you want to go, not even a historic blizzard! Me, I stay inside. You're a woman on a mission. That is pretty impressive! You would have been a great sidekick for Clint in one of his cop pictures. Make sure you stay safe out there. I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you while you are going on these adventures!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »

You would have been a great sidekick for Clint in one of his cop pictures.

Yes, KC is a bad ass. That's one of the reasons we love her around here. And if she was a "sidekick" for Clint, she'd probably live to the end of the film.  O0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2016, 06:05:52 PM »

Though Clint might not! ;D
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2016, 07:31:25 PM »

KC, Matt is correct! You are a bad ass! O0

Texas is not known for its pizza though. We have the major pizza chains and a few family owned but nothing special. A friend of mine was living in Chicago and she sent me some Lou Malnati's through the mail on dry ice. It was the best pizza that I have ever had!

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2016, 02:39:16 AM »

A friend of mine was living in Chicago and she sent me some Lou Malnati's through the mail on dry ice. It was the best pizza that I have ever had!

Wow, that's a great friend!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2016, 06:10:53 AM »

Yeah, I was impressed with the mailing pizza on dry ice thing too. I would imagine that costs more than a stamp! How did you heat it up, Richard Earl?
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2016, 01:07:00 AM »

I haven't been to a Long John Silvers, but I do love Five Guys burgers and fries.

There's still something about those McD's fries though.

Matt. Try long john silvers sometime it's really good!  I agree five guys is awesome. And so are Macds fries! 
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2016, 10:57:07 PM »

I'll probably never do Long John Silvers, Rawhide. I'm not a big fan of fish or seafood, unless I'm in a local seafood restaurant. I remember a place on Front Street in NYC that had the greatest lobster...  that's when I do seafood.

But, when I'm doing fast food, it's burgers, tacos or... gyros. Tonight I had the worst gyro of my life. :(  Or, maybe it was just really bad because I got stuck trying to bring it home. I sat at a light for 10 minutes.  >:(  By the time I got home, the fries were soggy, and the gyro was a greasy mess. I'd never had a gyro that I didn't love before.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2016, 02:02:21 AM »

I used to really like Wendy's burgers... Always tasty and the salads seemed so fresh.. They've all disappeared from London now so very occasionally it's a McDonalds cheeseburger.. I do quite like their coffee tho... It's hot, cheap and you get loads...
I'm not big on the thimble of froth dealt out at the costa's etc...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T