News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeff Daniels on Eastwood  (Read 4582 times)
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« on: December 10, 2002, 04:08:02 AM »

WARNING to Brits and whoever else hasn't seen the flick yet: post contains Blood Work SPOILERS

I remembered reading this a few weeks ago, but then I forgot which magazine it was in. I went through the stack, and it's the latest issue of Movieline (DEC/JAN 2003), with Courntey Cox Arquette on the cover. It's just a little profile on Blood Work co-star Jeff Daniels, who once again appears in the upcoming Civil War epic Gods and Generals as Colonel Chamberlain.

WARNING: Blood Work SPOILERS - Blood Work SPOILERS - Blood Work SPOILERS - [/color]
The Eastwood bits...

Q: How many actors have you met off-screen who don't give the larger-than-life appearance that they do on-screen?

JEFF DANIELS: Clint Eastwood. He's so low-key, laconic, regular, nonthreatening in person, but when they say "Rolling", you can see his back arch up and the chin drop and he turns his head and it's there.

Q: Did you write a song about costarring with him in Blood Work?

DANIELS: It's called "The Dirty Harry Blues", which is about what it's like getting shot by Clint Eastwood.

Q: What is it like being shot by Clint Eastwood?

DANIELS: It's an out-of-body experience because you can't get past that the 9mm handgun that is three feet away from your chest is being held by Dirty Harry.

Q: As a fellow director, did you pick Eastwood's brain about making films?

DANIELS: I've done some indies and I've found that distribution is a b!itch, so I talked to him about it. He told me the battles he had with Play Misty for Me: "Hang on to the rights. If you can four-wall it and keep more money, do it. Don't give away your movie."

Q: Have you worked with anyone else like him?

DANIELS: Clint reminded me of when I did Terms of Endearment and was in awe of Jack Nicholson. We shot for a couple weeks, and then Jack came in. Being a young actor, I thought, "Jack's got all the answers", but he didn't. He was making choices, guessing. Clint's the same way.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 07:48:40 PM »

Q: Did you write a song about costarring with him in Blood Work?

DANIELS: It's called "The Dirty Harry Blues", which is about what it's like getting shot by Clint Eastwood.

Q: What is it like being shot by Clint Eastwood?

DANIELS: It's an out-of-body experience because you can't get past that the 9mm handgun that is three feet away from your chest is being held by Dirty Harry.

Thanks for posting that, Holden.

I wonder how the lyrics to "The Dirty Harry Blues" go? ;)... do you guys think the chorus is "make my day"?  ???  ;D

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T