News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Movie Challenge Week Three: Coogan's Bluff, Where Eagles Dare  (Read 21418 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:58:40 PM »

This will be the thread for members taking part in the Eastwood Movie Challenge to discuss the Week Three films, Coogan's Bluff and Where Eagles Dare. Post any thoughts you have on watching or re-watching these movies here. Week Three runs from February 8 through February 14.

For the rest of the schedule, please see this post: Eastwood Movie Challenge schedule.

I'm starting the thread a couple of days early, so people will have time to find, borrow or buy the movies. If you've actually started watching early, feel free to post your comments while the memory is fresh.

For Week Two, there was a Bonus Movie on the schedule, The Witches (in Italian: Le Streghe). I forgot to include it in the Week Two post, so if anyone wants to add it for bonus points, I guess it might as well be now!  :D

And if you haven't already, make a post in our Eastwood Movie Challenge Journal and add the movies and dates you watch them, and keep updating it as we go through the Challenge so we can all keep track of where everyone stands.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:18:17 AM by KC » Logged
Charlie

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 10:02:40 PM »

I am going to have to pull out my VHS for Coogan's... I never replaced it!  Now to find my VCR!?!?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:16:32 PM »

For Week Two, there was a Bonus Movie on the schedule, The Witches (in Italian: Le Streghe). I forgot to include it in the Week Two post, so if anyone wants to add it for bonus points, I guess it might as well be now!  :D

With those bonus points, you can get a free coffee refill from Loretta. With a lot of sugar. 
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 10:29:18 PM »

I am going to have to pull out my VHS for Coogan's... I never replaced it!  Now to find my VCR!?!?

If you don't have many movies on VHS for this Challenge, you might prefer to get the DVD.  $6.59 w/ free shipping if you're an Amazon Prime member.  That sounds way better than having to find a VCR and hook it up again.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 10:58:53 PM »

If you don't have many movies on VHS for this Challenge, you might prefer to get the DVD.  $6.59 w/ free shipping if you're an Amazon Prime member.  That sounds way better than having to find a VCR and hook it up again.

You can also rent it for streaming from Amazon for $3.99, and you don't have to be an Amazon Prime member. ;)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:59:34 PM »

I’ve always enjoyed Coogan’s Bluff.  Perhaps we would’ve seen a sequel, had Dirty Harry not come along and been so successful.  This movie fits perfectly sandwiched in between A Fistful Of Dollars and Dirty Harry, as far as Eastwood’s characterization goes.  It’s like Coogan is a blend of The Man With No Name and Inspector Callahan.  Upon first seeking out Easwood movies years ago, this was one of the better finds.

Not so for Where Eagles Dare.  It’s taken me an extremely long time to appreciate this film.  Much as I dislike Eastwood’s films that he directs but does not star in, in an odd way I have them to thank because it’s forced me to reevaluate his starring roles and now I enjoy Where Eagles Dare.  Whereas before I’d all but discarded it as one of his worst, I now enjoy it very much.   

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 06:30:50 PM »

So, have you watched them both for the Challenge, Jed (Brian)? :)

EDIT: Never mind, I see from your Journal entry that you have!

Just curious, how do you watch them? Since, as I recall, you said you no longer have any Eastwood DVDs. Do you borrow them from the library, or watch them streaming, and if so, what streaming service do you use? ???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 06:34:42 PM by KC » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »

Whether it was because I saw Coogan's Bluff a few months ago or I just wasn't in the mood today, I just couldn't get into it. I don't think it has aged well either. There are some good scenes. The poolroom rumble and the motorcycle chase finale in Fort Tryon Park.

How about the scene with Coogan and Julie in the park and Coogan's hat get's blown off by the wind. Intentional?

Overall though, not one of my favourite Eastwood films.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 09:11:06 PM »

I haven't watched either yet for this week, but looking forward to Coogan's Bluff. I think anything Don Siegel directed is worth a watch, and I think this was a great movie for him and Eastwood to begin their professional relationship with.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »

I'm also looking forward to watching Coogan's Bluff again, but not Where Eagles Dare. I'll keep an open mind and see if I can find it more enjoyable this time. I have a bottle of 5 Hour Energy that I may drink to get through it.
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 09:26:25 PM »

With those bonus points, you can get a free coffee refill from Loretta. With a lot of sugar. 

And then do I get to shoot a bad guy too? Or was it two bad guys too...in all the excitement I lost count myself.

No Name

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 09:27:56 PM »

Go ahead.... make my day.

(It had to be said!  ;D)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 09:30:40 PM »

I'm also looking forward to watching Coogan's Bluff again, but not Where Eagles Dare. I'll keep an open mind and see if I can find it more enjoyable this time. I have a bottle of 5 Hour Energy that I may drink to get through it.
;D  I enjoy Where Eagles Dare, but prefer Kelly's Heroes.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 12:20:40 AM »

Just finished Coogan's Bluff.

Oh, my goodness...thank the heavens that women's fashions have changed!  Can you believe that orange dress Susan Clark wore to see Coogan off at the end of the movie?  Blinding!  :D. And, the prices of everything.  A $2.95 cab ride in New York or a $5.00 (or $10.00) room in New York?  These older movies certainly remind us of how things used to be.

I recognized Albert Popwell from some of Eastwood's other movies when I saw him in the Pigeon-Toed Orange Peel Club.  Always enjoyed him.  And, was that Eastwood's old movie, Tarantula, showing on the screen at that club?

The beginning of the movie looked like the beginnings in the Spaghetti Westerns...vast desert...until the Jeep shows up, of course.  And, shortly thereafter we find another prostitute-type to add to the list when Coogan ties up the Indian and visits his friend, Millie.

Whether it was because I saw Coogan's Bluff a few months ago or I just wasn't in the mood today, I just couldn't get into it. I don't think it has aged well either. There are some good scenes. The poolroom rumble and the motorcycle chase finale in Fort Tryon Park.

How about the scene with Coogan and Julie in the park and Coogan's hat get's blown off by the wind. Intentional?

Overall though, not one of my favourite Eastwood films.

I agree.  Not a movie I want to re-watch too often.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:30:17 AM by mgk » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 01:14:39 AM »

Does the Pan Am building shown at the end of Coogan's Bluff still exist. I took a stack of photos of the NYC skyline when I was there and was wondering if it's in one of them?

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 02:12:25 AM »

Oh, my goodness...thank the heavens that women's fashions have changed!  Can you believe that orange dress Susan Clark wore to see Coogan off at the end of the movie?  Blinding! 

Let's not be so hasty to judge the brightness of the fashions. Some ladies pulled them off better than others. I sure wish we could go back in time to when more ladies could pull off looks like this so well.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 07:29:25 AM »

So, have you watched them both for the Challenge, Jed (Brian)? :)

EDIT: Never mind, I see from your Journal entry that you have!

Just curious, how do you watch them? Since, as I recall, you said you no longer have any Eastwood DVDs. Do you borrow them from the library, or watch them streaming, and if so, what streaming service do you use? ???

I have the Revere and Malden public libraries (and networks they're attached to) to thank for my being able to participate.  When I come across a title or titles they do not have then I have friends I can borrow from.

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 08:08:54 AM »

Does the Pan Am building shown at the end of Coogan's Bluff still exist. I took a stack of photos of the NYC skyline when I was there and was wondering if it's in one of them?

It does. It's now the MetLife Building, and helicopters no longer land on its roof after a terrible accident in 1977:

On May 16, 1977, about one minute after an S-61L landed and its 20 passengers disembarked, the right front landing gear collapsed, causing the aircraft to topple onto its side with the rotors still turning. One of the five 20-foot (6 m) blades broke off and flew into a crowd of passengers waiting to board. Three men were killed instantly and another died later in a hospital. The blade sailed over the side of the building and killed a female pedestrian on the corner of Madison Avenue and 43rd Street. Two other people were seriously injured. Helicopter service was quickly suspended, and has never resumed

By Postdlf from w, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=667586

It's right behind Grand Central Terminal, SK ... it's about a five minutes' walk from the New York Public Library.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 08:40:05 PM »

I watched Coogan's Bluff tonight. It's still a fun movie for me. O0 What stood out to me with this viewing is that Coogan isn't a very nice guy. He's quite rude at times, plus you could almost say he's a dirty cop in ways that go beyond what Dirty Harry did. And yet Dirty Harry shoots his gun a whole lot more. Actually Coogan doesn't shoot!

I'm also curious about the scene when Coogan goes to see Ringerman's mom. He has to get buzzed in to get inside, yet there's still a drunk (or rather a cop) sitting on the steps. I wondered how he got in.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 10:47:42 PM »

Just finished Where Eagles Dare.  No desert opening scene this time.  Lots of mountains and boo-coodles of snow.  I had to wrap myself up in a warm blanket while watching it.  ::)

That guy, the German with all the blonde hair....Von Hapen, played by Derrin Nesbitt, gave me the creeps.  Not too fond of Col. Kramer, Anton Deffring, either.  All in all, I guess the German portrayals were okay.  Richard Burton was okay, too...I guess.  He's never been one of my favorite actors anyway.  About the best performance I ever saw from him was in Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?, starring along with his wife, Elizabeth Taylor, who also gave an Academy Award performance and won the Oscar.  The main female, Mary Ellison, played by Mary Ure, was okay.  Nothing outstanding or too demanding. 

There's some interesting trivia over on the www.imdb.com site.  I particularly liked the part that talks about Burton having a crane attached to him to help him climb up the wall but Eastwood did his own climbing.  Of course he did.  :D. That was in 1968 and he was still doing his own climbing seven years later in TheEiger Sanction.

I have to admit that I always have a little trouble keeping up with who the good guys are and who the bad guys are in this movie.  I'm never sure about Maj. Smith, Burton, as I keep watching but it all becomes clear later on.  I agree with Lt. Schaffer, Eastwood, when he says:

Major, right now you've got me about as confused as I ever hope to be.

I would not rate this movie as one of Eastwood's best nor would I rate it as one of the better war movies.  However, I read somewhere that Steven Spielberg thinks it's one of the best WWII movies he's seen and I know our British friends on this board have always liked it.  Never have understood that but...to each his own.

I was not looking forward to watching this one so glad it's behind me.  :). I just looked at the schedule and I get a week off.  O0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T