News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movie Night - Paint Your Wagon (Drinking Game Version) Sunday February 21, 2016  (Read 18631 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 08, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »

This is the Drinking Game Movie Night discussion thread for Paint Your Wagon. We'll meet here up to an hour before we start rolling the film on Sunday, 2/21/16 at 4:00 PM ET (or in Australia, Monday, February 22.) .

If possible, please check in at least ten minutes before the start time, so we'll know everyone is here who wanted to be. For anyone who'd like to join us ... have your Paint Your Wagon DVD (or video) ready to play. We'll start the film at 20:00 UTC, Board Time.

Check here to see what time we'll be starting in your area:

In CST (U.S. Central Time Zone) states - 3:00 PM
      In EST (U.S. East Coast) states - 4:00 PM
      In Sao Paulo, Brazil - 5:00 PM
      In Great Britain, Portugal - 9:00 PM
      In France, Italy - 10:00 PM
      In Sweden - 10:00PM
      In Finland -  11:00PM
      In Sydney and Melbourne, Australia - 6:00 AM, Monday morning.

If you need more time conversions, check here:  http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

We'll be starting the film at the Paramount Logo. This is at  0:00:01 on the R-1 DVD.  Set up your movie here, and pause. We'll all be hitting "Start" at exactly the top of the hour.

We'll be taking four breaks during the film. Because this is a long film, and for those in Europe it's already starting late, our break lengths will be kept to a minimum ONLY FIVE MINUTES. Just enough time to refill your drink, and maybe hit the bathroom. Since the plot isn't TOO deep in this movie, chances are you won't need total concentration while reading the posts that are being written during the movie, so you can read them while we watch. In any case, the official time-keeper, which will be one of the Moderators, will let everyone know at what minute we'll be restarting the movie.

Here's the break schedule. It's a little uneven because I wanted to work with the built-in Intermission, plus some of the scenes where we'd want a break were really long. So the first break comes pretty deep in the movie, but once we're past that, it should even out a bit.

Break 1:  Beginning of Chapter 5 "Ben's Wedding Day". (38:11 on the R1 DVD)  This comes right after Pardner telling Elizabeth (about Ben) "You ain't exactly seeing him at his best. Once I get him washed out and clipped, I think you'll be agreeably surprised."  It is the very beginning of the song "Whoop-Ti-Ay" and this screencap:

Break 2:  Beginning of Chapter 9 "Detour". (1:05:43 on the R1 DVD)  This comes right after Pardner sings "I Talk to the Trees".

Break 3:  There is an official "Intermission" at Chapter 11 (1:23:22 on the R1 DVD)

Forward your disc to the next chapter, Chapter 12, which starts with a black screen at 1:26:33, and fades in to this frame. Cue up your movie to the first frame of the fade-in, which is here:

Pause here at the first frame of the fade-in and wait for us to start back up.

Break 4:  Beginning of Chapter 15, last line is Ben's waking up in a hotel bed "Sugar, guess who this is!"  Time 1:57:58 on the R1 DVD

Just a couple of reminders:

1) By default, this board gives you a warning message when someone else has posted while you're writing a post. That can get very frustrating in the heat of things in these threads ... but now the feature can be turned off, temporarily (or permanently if you prefer).

To turn it off, click the link on the brown bar near the top of the page to your profile:

You'll go to your profile page. On the left-hand side, there's a list of stuff you can do here including "Modify profile." Under that heading, click the link to "Look and Layout Preferences." Now you'll see some choices with little white checkboxes next to them. One of them is "Don't warn on new replies made while posting." Click in that box so there's a check mark there. Then, in the lower right hand corner, click "Change profile" and you're all set.

I find it also helps to use the keyboard shortcut when posting: alt+s. (Or in the latest version of Firefox, alt+shift+s.)

2) You can also use the "Quick Reply" feature: At the bottom of each thread is a brown bar with "Quick Reply" on the left hand corner. If you don't have it enabled, that's all you'll see and there will be a plus sign to the left of "Quick Reply." Click the plus sign, and a reply box will open beneath the brown bar and will stay there until you click the sign (now a minus) next to "Quick Reply" again. You can type your post right in this box and don't have to wait for a "Reply" page to open. It's a little harder to use smilies, though, unless you remember all the shortcuts!

3) Finally, remember Board Time is a little fast ... by my watch, it's nearly three minutes fast. But it's what we're going by here.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:49:54 PM »

Whew, that was a lot of information to digest!

But I'm not done yet. Now is the post where we discuss the hows and whens of the Drinking Game.

I made the sacrifice of watching Paint Your Wagon to come up with some cues for drinking. There are MANY, so let me emphasize that you can drink whatever you want, be it soda, mineral water, hot chocolate, coffee, beer, hard liquor, whatever you want. We're not advocating the drinking of alcohol here, and definitely not to any minors if we have them. But, if you are drinking anything with alcohol, a note: You may want to water that stuff down, or drink small shots because there are a LOT OF CUES here to drink. But that's what makes it fun.

And here are those cues. Feel free to keep this post open in another window so you can copy/paste the images in the thread whenever one of these moments happen.

A sighting of any 4-legged animal except a horse: 

And last but not least, whenever we see Pardner's hideous sweater:

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:59:49 PM »

The point of this Drinking Night is fun. As much fun as we can all manage to have together, all over the world, watching this movie in unison.

Maybe wear your cowboy hat, or your ugly sweaters. Get in the mood. And, how about we all look for a great way to eat some type of bean snack during the film.

Maybe a 7-layer bean dip

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/seven-layer-bean-dip/8689a30d-32d7-4e42-82f9-7d924f77166b

I'll probably make this, it looks pretty good:

http://www.thebrewerandthebaker.com/archives/18863

I remember Masterchief used to talk about Beans on Toast - he ate it a lot back in the day:

https://safetoeat.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/beans-on-toast/

If you're not up for cooking, maybe pick up a box or two of something like this:

Or a Mexican Pizza:

http://shewearsmanyhats.com/mexican-black-bean-pizza/

So you've got a few weeks to figure it out. When you do, take a photo or send a link to the webpage for the recipe.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 01:08:23 PM »

And finally.......

This Drinking Game Movie Night is open to everyone! If you're brand new to the forum, just register and join us. We're here to make friends, and be merry and enjoy Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin drinking and dancing. And we get to laugh at them as only true fans can do without it being insulting.

If you're doing the Eastwood Movie Challenge, this Movie Night will count for your entire Week 4 viewing. If you can't make it, just watch the movie on your own.

And if you're new to Movie Night threads, just post wantonly, random thoughts, goofy thoughts that run through your mind while watching, or interesting trivia or tidbits. Although we normally say posting on the board is more about Quality than Quantity, no one is expecting long, thoughtful posts during a Movie Night, though if you want to make those too, all posts are welcome! The only thing we ask is that you come for fun. Just have fun! :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »

One more post... I knew KC would never have one of those snacks. So for her, and anyone else who likes very healthy snacks... how about this one:

Edamame and Pear Crostini

Why beans, you may be asking? To celebrate the song "Can of Beans" from the movie, of course!

Hand me down that can o'beans
I'm throwing it away

Any type of bean will do for Paint Your Wagon Drinking Game Movie Night!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 01:35:24 PM »

Post here if you'd like to show your intention to join us. Also, if you can think of any other drinking cues or ways to make this extra fun, I'm all ears.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 01:56:41 PM »

I plan on being in for this one. O0
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 11:50:54 PM »

I wish I could join for this one, but I'll be on a work trip then.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 12:15:43 AM »

:(  Bring your DVD with you. Maybe you can manage to watch some of it if you're not actually on the clock at the time of the showing.
Shannonsmith1993

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 03:50:49 AM »

I'm totally in  :D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »

Who is planning on joining us that hasn't responded yet?

So far, it's me, KC, Christopher, Charlie, and Shannon.

Tim (Schofield Kid) is going to try, but it's 6:00 AM on a Monday morning in Australia, which is the absolute worst time zone to do this in.

I know we'll have more than this -- just wanted to make sure everyone notices this thread.  Chime in if you plan on making it. For that matter, chime in if you can't make it. :)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 02:27:39 AM »

Schofield Kid is going to try, but it's 6:00 AM on a Monday morning in Australia, which is the absolute worst time zone to do this in.

According to the world clock converter, it's actually 8am on Monday morning not 6am. Still not sure if I can attend though.  :-\

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 03:54:49 PM »

I'll try very hard to be here.  It all depends on whether or not I can get to the library on Tuesday before they close (the only possible day I can get there).  Here's hoping, because I happen to enjoy Paint Your Wagon.

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 04:01:01 PM »

That would be great, Elizabeth.

I think anyone in the U.S. can just stream it for $3.99 from Amazon. You have 30 days to watch it, and 48 hours to finish it once you start watching it. So, for anyone who really wants to be there and doesn't want to buy the movie, you can check out that option here:  http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Your-Wagon-Lee-Marvin/dp/B007VFK5L6/ref=tmm_aiv_swatch_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1455490722&sr=8-1
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 06:39:27 PM »

^ That should work. I've often taken advantage of Amazon's streaming video rentals.
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 04:47:08 AM »

Found it! Paint your wagon with Finnish subtitles.  8) I'll be able to join in, if the post office doesn't mess up my order.

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »

Found it! Paint your wagon with Finnish subtitles.  8) I'll be able to join in, if the post office doesn't mess up my order.

Awesome! I wonder if Hemlock can come over and watch it with you!
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »

Haha, there's about 600km (372miles?) between us. :) But I would of course get enough drinks for the both of us if he decided to drop by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 12:01:46 PM »

If possible, send him a PM or post a link of where you found the movie. Don't know if he'd be interested in getting it, but it couldn't hurt. :)
Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 05:27:32 AM »

That would be great, Elizabeth.

I think anyone in the U.S. can just stream it for $3.99 from Amazon. You have 30 days to watch it, and 48 hours to finish it once you start watching it. So, for anyone who really wants to be there and doesn't want to buy the movie, you can check out that option here:  http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Your-Wagon-Lee-Marvin/dp/B007VFK5L6/ref=tmm_aiv_swatch_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1455490722&sr=8-1

I've thought about it, but I live in horse & buggy country.  What that means is, we have one source of internet (because CenturyLink has a monopoly on the area).  Streaming is questionable at any time, but service on Sundays of an afternoon are the very worst.  Everyone (who isn't Amish) is home and online.  There aren't any towns in our county where stores (except gas stations) are open on Sunday.  And sorry, Matt, you wouldn't be able to find anything of an alcoholic nature here, either.  Ben Rumson would have absolutely no use for our community.

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T