News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice on GBU DVD  (Read 4034 times)
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« on: February 15, 2016, 04:39:21 PM »

I'm in the process of updating my video collection and want to buy a copy of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly on DVD, but there are now so many editions/remastered versions for sale, I'm uncertain which to buy. I already own the two-disk Special Edition in the white box with the extras, the deleted scenes, etc., but what I'm specifically looking for is a good clean copy of the film as it was originally shown in the U.S.--161 minutes running time (I don't like most of the deleted scenes), original color print and sound, etc. I've checked Amazon but the techno-babble regarding the remastered editions is pretty confusing...any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! 
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 06:32:57 PM »

This is what my original DVD copy looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Bad-Ugly-Clint-Eastwood/dp/6304698798/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1455585926&sr=1-1&keywords=the+good%2C+the+bad+and+the+ugly+dvd

There seems to be a mistake on the run time, as that was lists 179 minutes. But I clicked on 2-disc version and they listed 161 minute run time. If you bought from one of the outside sellers through Amazon, you might be able to ask them a question to make sure it's the original theatrical cut.
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:10:01 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate the input.  Coincidentally, earlier today at Half Price Books I saw a used copy of the edition you posted and wondered if that might be the one I'm seeking...the run time on the back said 1:61 but some of the Amazon descriptions mentioned that the run times shown were incorrect on some of the editions so I didn't chance it. Just to clarify...the edition you posted is 1:61?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »

Hi longtimefan, and nice to see another "long time fan" on the board!  O0

Yup, my copy of the original US version looks like the one Christopher posted, and I see the link he posted shows the DVD is from 1998, so that would be what you need if the listing is correct.

Mine was part of this 3-piece collection:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0792842502/ref=tmm_dvd_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

And I see it's only slightly more and you'd be sure to get the cut you're looking for in that packaging - again, if it's accurately listed. One of the sellers on the one I'm linking is selling it for only a few dollars more, so it's not a fistful of dollars for $17.99 plus $3.99 shipping. The good, the bad and the ugly of it is that:  The Good:  No Chicken Scene, The Bad: You have two additional copies of movies you probably already own, the Ugly, your first post on the Clint Eastwood Forums was answered by Christopher.

;D  Joking about that last one, he's one of our best members.

Good luck, and stick around and join in some more discussions with us.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 07:13:47 PM »

One of the sellers on the one I'm linking is selling it for only a few dollars more, so it's not a fistful of dollars for $17.99 plus $3.99 shipping. The good, the bad and the ugly of it is that:  The Good:  No Chicken Scene, The Bad: You have two additional copies of movies you probably already own, the Ugly, your first post on the Clint Eastwood Forums was answered by Christopher.
:D

That box set of the trilogy is the same one I have too.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 07:15:51 PM by Christopher » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 07:28:03 PM »

Yes it says on the DVD case:  Run Time 2 hours, 41 minutes. 

Plus, it was released in 1998. This is a key. It seems they don't release the old U.S. cut anymore, something we were just ranting about in a thread where we all just watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly as part of a board-wide "Eastwood Movie Challenge" (we're watching all of Clint's films together and if you want to join us, it's not too late, you'd just need to get involved right away).  Here's the thread:  http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=10292.0

This was the first DVD I bought when I bought a DVD player back in 2001. I'm acquainted with the Special Edition, and I agree with you that the original cut is preferable.
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 07:53:22 PM »

Thanks, guys; this really helps and I'm relieved I'm not gonna have to storm Heartbreak Ridge to buy a copy of the edition I've been looking for...some of those confusing Amazon reviews were turning me every which way but loose. In a perfect world you shouldn't have to resort to magnum force or run the gauntlet just to buy a favorite movie, but hereafter I'll definitely know where to go when I have a question--thanks again!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »

That's it, you need to stay here. You'll fit right in!  :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 10:01:57 PM »

If you stick around, you might even have a sudden impact around here! 8)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »

And if you don't, that would be a true crime.
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 06:25:19 AM »

I'll do everything in my absolute power to be a worthy contributor; don't want to wind up unforgiven by you folks.   ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 07:51:29 AM »

We're quite beguiled by your posts so far! :D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 08:55:55 AM »

It's been a long time since we've had a rookie on the board who could keep up with us!

Ooops, gotta go. Time to update my firefox browser.   :D

(we're running out!)
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »

Nah, we're just getting warmed up.  But sorry if I've been a little slow with my replies; ever since the witches put a spell on me, my mind has been in outer space, cowboys.   ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 09:55:48 AM »

It's fun having you here already, but I'd be in the line of fire with KC and the rest of our group if I didn't convince you to join us for our Paint Your Wagon Drinking Game Movie Night, which is THIS Sunday.
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 11:37:52 AM »

Sounds like a rowdy good time, Pardner--thanks for the invite! Sunday is usually "date night" for my lady friend and me (she works Saturdays) but if I can break away, I'll try to join in. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go talk to some trees.   :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 11:45:31 AM »

They probably won't listen to you! We will. ;)

But, I know how it is walking the tightrope between keeping lady friends and board friends happy. You've got to fight when you think it's the right thing to do. Otherwise you feel like your gut's full of pus. Even if you get the hell beat out of you. If you fight, you feel okay about it.
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 01:38:04 PM »

Well, I don't fight at all, unless I absolutely have to. I've got kind of a temper, and once I start I just can't quit.   ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 01:43:48 PM »

Woah! I think you've got me on that one. Is that a Bronco Billy? Normally, I'd be a bit better at this, but I was riding late last night. A man's brain gets kinda fuzzy when he's been on the range.
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »

Understandable, if you've been riding nighthawk. Here's a hint: The line that precedes that one is Lee Marvin saying, "I don't fight fair."
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T