News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice on GBU DVD  (Read 3675 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 02:10:49 PM »

Ah, a Paint Your Wagon quote! You're a tricky one. Sometimes I don't know nothing. Not one damn thing.
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 08:35:27 AM »

Touche!  You've got me with that one. I'm gonna guess one of the lesser-knowns. Honkytonk Man, maybe?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »

I added the "Sometimes".  But, in a perfect world, you would have gotten that one anyway!
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 11:01:30 AM »

Ah, thanks! Good to know...sometimes a man's life may depend on a mere scrap of information.   
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 01:39:47 PM »

;D  That was a great one. You seem to be well informed.

This is fun. I can't believe we've never had a thread like this on the board before... anyone else can join in anytime.  ;D
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 03:39:38 PM »

Absolutely!  Might as well ride along with us. H***, everybody else is.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »

I was thinking about the Paint Your Wagon Drinking Game Movie Night being combined with a Date Night. I think it would be awesome. Have your lady friend register here too, line up your favorite drinks, pull out your tablets/laptops/phones and bring up the web board, and load up Paint Your Wagon DVD. Stick a Mexican Pizza in the oven (with black beans - there's gotta be at least some beans in the snack). You'll get trashed, and it should be fun.

But if you're worried that a three hour movie wouldn't allow for a lot of date-action, there's a 3 minute and 47 second intermission where you could go hoist some oysters.

Not a long intermission, but we do take 5 minutes breaks too! 
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 04:52:26 PM »

Great plan! (And I especially like your thinking on making the best use of the intermissions.  ;) ) Might be a hard sell to my lady friend, however. While she likes Clint, she's nowhere near the diehard fan I am so convincing her to spend three hours watching PYW on her only free weekend night would be tough. Still, it might be worth a shot. Maybe if I buy her roses first...this ought to give me an edge.   :) 
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 04:57:13 PM »

Yeah, watching Paint Your Wagon isn't going to make a great impression. And managing to get your date action all in during a 5 minute break might not leave her with a great impression either.  You'd have to be so fast you can't believe it.

(Yes, there's still a Clint quote hidden in there.)
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 08:34:59 AM »

Hmmm...you've stumped me with that one!  Closest I can come is a line from Coogan's Bluff:  "Drop the blade, or you won't even believe what happens next."  (Or something like that.)  Hint?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 11:01:14 AM »

I'll give you a hint... you might find the answer on your favorite web browser.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 11:40:56 AM »

Maybe if I buy her roses first...this ought to give me an edge.   :)

And I think we're even. If any part of this is a quote, I can't place it. I couldn't find a quote in that message at all. I'm hoping there wasn't one.  :)
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 11:58:40 AM »

The last part was a slight paraphrase.  Preceding line was, "If I figure this right, we're facing the sun."  Followed shortly by one of the all-time best lines ever, "Get ready, little lady..."

And thanks for the hint on the other.  Gant believe I missed that.   ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2016, 12:29:44 PM »

The last part was a slight paraphrase.  Preceding line was, "If I figure this right, we're facing the sun."  Followed shortly by one of the all-time best lines ever, "Get ready, little lady..."

And thanks for the hint on the other.  Gant believe I missed that.   ;)

You weren't aLONE on needing an edge. ;)

Anyway, gotta run. Lunch delivery from Kelly's Heroes just arrived.  ;D
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 07:32:24 PM »

Hope you enjoyed your lunch.  I do like tater tots.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 09:29:42 PM »

I love 'em too. I was at the Sonic a couple of weeks ago, ordering the usual, burger with tots, they kept trying to get me to change my order to fries, or maybe onion rings. Finally I had to get tough with them.  I told them "when it comes to tater tots, I'll only say this once... I've never said it before. This kind of certainty comes but just once in a lifetime. It's gotta be tots." 

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2016, 10:14:55 PM »

You're not doing anything wrong! Nothing you couldn't tell your tots! ;D
longtimefan

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2016, 09:21:05 AM »

LOL...outstanding bridge between those two films! Speaking of which, I live about a half hour from Winterset, Iowa, setting of Bridges, and I have toured Francesca's house and visited several of the bridges (they're far-flung throughout the county, requiring a good bit of driving) several times. My lady friend at the time and I had our picture taken in the house reenacting the bathtub scene; the tour guide asked us if we wanted to undress first but we declined.   :)  I also have a picture of myself sitting on the same stool that Clint sat on in the Winterset diner, and another one of lady friend and I reenacting the through-the-bridge embracing shot at Roseman Bridge, the one featured most prominently in the film.

As you probably have heard, years ago some idiot torched Francesca's house and it suffered major damage, so it's no longer open for tours. A year or so later Roseman Bridge was also torched but luckily it was saved and has since been restored. To the best of my knowledge, no one was ever arrested for these crimes but the prevailing rumor is that it was done by some fundamentalist type protesting the movie's adultery.

I should dig those photos out and have them scanned. This was long before the days of digital photography, but if I can find them, I'l do that and post them.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »

You're not doing anything wrong! Nothing you couldn't tell your tots! ;D

It doesn't work as well with all the scenes. A slight last minute script revision was necessary. ;)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2016, 12:48:38 PM »

LOL...outstanding bridge between those two films! Speaking of which, I live about a half hour from Winterset, Iowa, setting of Bridges, and I have toured Francesca's house and visited several of the bridges (they're far-flung throughout the county, requiring a good bit of driving) several times. My lady friend at the time and I had our picture taken in the house reenacting the bathtub scene; the tour guide asked us if we wanted to undress first but we declined.   :)  I also have a picture of myself sitting on the same stool that Clint sat on in the Winterset diner, and another one of lady friend and I reenacting the through-the-bridge embracing shot at Roseman Bridge, the one featured most prominently in the film.

As you probably have heard, years ago some idiot torched Francesca's house and it suffered major damage, so it's no longer open for tours. A year or so later Roseman Bridge was also torched but luckily it was saved and has since been restored. To the best of my knowledge, no one was ever arrested for these crimes but the prevailing rumor is that it was done by some fundamentalist type protesting the movie's adultery.

I should dig those photos out and have them scanned. This was long before the days of digital photography, but if I can find them, I'l do that and post them.

We heard about the Roseman Bridge fire, but I'm not sure we knew about Francesca's house. Has that been restored?

I know we'd love to see the pictures if you can get them scanned. Pictures need to be uploaded to the internet before they can be posted here, and you can find instructions on how to do that in THIS POST. Start a new thread if you get around to it so our Bridges of Madison County fans will all notice it.  :)

To the best of my knowledge, no one was ever arrested for these crimes but the prevailing rumor is that it was done by some fundamentalist type protesting the movie's adultery.

But who apparently had no problem with arson. Probably just some over-educated 27-year-old virgins who like to hold the hands of superstitious old ladies and promise them everlasting life. The hypocrisy of it is unreal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T