News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: George Kennedy 1925-2016  (Read 3661 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: February 29, 2016, 02:58:23 PM »

George Kennedy has died at 91 years old. I'm including this in the Eastwood news section, of course, because Kennedy costarred in The Eiger Sanction and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (which I've always felt to be the meanest character I ever saw him play).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-kennedy-dead-cool-hand-721400
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:02:54 PM »

Sad news. I remember first seeing him on TV when I was a kid, in The Blue Knight.

“Eyuh.”
Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 09:17:26 PM »

George Kennedy was so good at playing some really nasty characters, that it took me a while to appreciate him.  It was when I saw him in a nice guy role (I can't remember what it was right now), that I saw another side to his screen persona and found myself liking him.  :)

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 09:23:49 PM »

Fortunately he died on sunday 28th!!  R.I.P.

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 02:54:26 AM »

R.I.P.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hnfIxXxMl94" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hnfIxXxMl94</a>

And I love his acceptance speech for when he won his Oscar. If every speech was as awesomely brief (his clocked in at about 15 seconds, if that), I might actually enjoy watching the Oscars.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 03:53:21 AM »

Sad news.
R.I.P  Mr Kennedy.
I'll always remember your Thunderbolt... quote.
Go f... a duck :)

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 12:59:53 AM »

Indeed, this is very sad news. Somehow, it seems almost fitting that he died on the day the Academy Awards were announced.

You may wish to vote in this IMDb poll in memory of Mr. Kennedy.
Poll: RIP George Kennedy
http://www.imdb.com/poll/NglkxM_vB-I/
George Kennedy passed away at the age of 91. Which is your favorite among his most well known roles?
WayOutWest

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 03:56:56 AM »

Condolences to George,s nearest  .

George played many character parts but I think of just  one starring part  .

Guns of the Magnificent Seven (1969) . as Chris . He sure did well in an iconic part  .

Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »

A great actor, and what a fantastic straight man to Nielsen's goofball in the Naked Gun movies.  RIP George Kennedy.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 11:09:33 AM »

The beers are cold in heaven, and you don't have to haul ice up with you either.

RIP George Kennedy.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 01:01:52 PM »

A couple of images from Thunderbolt & Lightfoot and The Eiger Sanction.

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 01:15:31 AM »

Here's the obit from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/01/movies/george-kennedy-versatile-actor-who-won-an-oscar-for-cool-hand-luke-dies-at-91.html

Mr. Kennedy typically helped to make other stars look good, and he worked with a pantheon of them: Bette Davis, James Stewart, Burt Lancaster, Charlton Heston, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and many more.

Occasionally Mr. Kennedy headlined the cast of a B-movie, like “The Human Factor,” a 1975 vigilante-justice film, in which he wiped out terrorists who killed his family. He also starred in two television series: He was a cop turned priest in “Sarge,” seen on NBC in the early 1970s, and a patrolman in “The Blue Knight,” on CBS in 1975-76.

But his stock in trade was the supporting role, and his rugged but bland looks were right for almost any part. He was tall and burly, with a bull neck, eyes that widened with shock or narrowed to menacing slits, a disingenuous smile and big ham hands to grip the gun or slap the girl. In the mold of Lee Marvin or Lee Van Cleef, he was a first-rate thug, and his deadpan look was perfect for disaster pictures or comedies.

Interesting how he got into show business:

After graduating from W. C. Mepham High School in Bellmore, N.Y., he joined the Army, fought in the infantry in Europe in World War II and spent 16 years in the service.

He opened the Army’s first office of technical assistance for films and television, and in the late 1950s retired and became an adviser to “The Phil Silvers Show.” Soon he was speaking lines on that program, and by the early 1960s he was playing roles on shows like “Maverick,” “Peter Gunn” and “Route 66.”

So he really could have served in Korea with John "Thunderbolt" Doherty.

R.I.P.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 02:34:12 PM »

I'd never heard how he got into acting. That is interesting!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T