News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Movie Challenge, Week Seven: Dirty Harry, Joe Kidd  (Read 12239 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 05, 2016, 10:04:11 PM »

This will be the thread for members taking part in the Eastwood Movie Challenge to discuss the Week Seven films, Dirty Harry and Joe Kidd. Post any thoughts you have on watching or re-watching these movies here. Week Seven runs from March 7 through March 13.

For the rest of the schedule, please see this post: Eastwood Movie Challenge schedule.

I'm starting the thread a couple of days early, so people will have time to find, borrow or buy the movies. If you've actually started watching early, feel free to post your comments while the memory is fresh.

And if you haven't already, make a post in our Eastwood Movie Challenge Journal and add the movies and dates you watch them, and keep updating it as we go through the Challenge so we can all keep track of where everyone stands.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:39:26 PM by KC » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »

Joe Kidd may be my least favorite Eastwood western, but I'm looking forward to watching it again this week.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 05:33:53 AM »

Dirty Harry is my second favorite Eastwood film.  If it were a western, it would be tied with The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.  Along with the Leone trilogy, the first three Dirty Harry films are among his best.  It took me a while to like Magnum Force and it’s still a little slow-moving but considering how bad Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool are, I now appreciate it much more.  Like The Man With No Name, Inspector Callahan is one of Eastwood’s greatest characters and characterizations.  You just can’t see anybody else in either role, which would make any attempts at remakes laughable.  Clint would make cinematic history in 1983 with his popular quote from Sudden Impact, “Go ahead, make my day.”  I prefer the “Do you feel lucky, punk?” speech from Dirty Harry by far.  It’s more effectively threatening, scary and menacing.  The delivery is perfect and leaves you hoping the punk goes for his gun, something that is rewarded the viewer at the end of the film, a perfect climax to a wonderfully acted cat-and-mouse thriller.

Joe Kidd, well, is another one that took me a long time to enjoy.  I’ve said it before and am sure I’ll repeat it again; upon discovering The Man With No Name and Dirty Harry films, I held each subsequent Eastwood film I discovered to what I considered a very high standard in that I expected them to be as good or even better.  So, when I came across Joe Kidd I was very disappointed.  It seemed to be too slow and nothing at all like the Leone westerns.  I had the opportunity to watch this western again a few times at my wife’s brother’s place in Maine during visits a handful of months ago.  I definitely enjoy it now.  A nice revelation, of sorts.  Sure, it’s not his best but it’s still entertaining and enjoyable, especially in light of Eastwood’s lack of acting these days. 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:53:42 AM by Jed (Brian) Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 01:52:40 AM »

The first Eastwood/Siegel cop film, Coogan's Bluff has dated badly but Dirty Harry never gets old. The definitive cop film!! One of my favourite films of all time. I've lost count of how many times I've seen this. It's a great police drama. Great storyline, cast, everything is perfect.

Andy Robinson plays the psycho Scorpio really well. Nice shots of San Francisco and the scene at Mt Davidson park cross is a highlight for me. Eastwood looks so cool in this role. Fantastic sunglasses too. The scene where he is having a hotdog but he knows something is up in the background outside the bank. Sort of a sixth sense.

One thing I noticed this viewing was how close they almost tipped the bus over a couple of times after Harry jumps on the roof.  :o

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 02:52:06 AM »

One thing I noticed this viewing was how close they almost tipped the bus over a couple of times after Harry jumps on the roof.  :o

I noticed that too. They certainly seemed to push the limits of that bus.

Anyway, I'm so glad to get Joe Kidd out of the way. It ranks among my least favorite Eastwood films. At least we aren't supposed to take The Rookie or Pink Cadillac or City Heat seriously, but Joe Kidd is presenting itself as a straightforward western, and one with a serious topic as its driving plot element, and it's just so bland and mediocre.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 10:13:59 AM »

I've watched Dirty Harry now for the week. I've seen the movie many times, but it continues to hold up well. The stadium scene and the scenes with Scorpio with the kids are so chilling.
Charlie

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 06:33:18 PM »

So is this challenge like a final exam? As long as we get them in before the end, we pass???  :D

Work has really sucked the last few weeks...  Spring Break next week!  I should be able to catch up on multiple things... 
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 07:39:56 PM »

So is this challenge like a final exam? As long as we get them in before the end, we pass???  :D

Exactly!  O0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »

That's good, 'cause I'm way behind. Just about to start Play Misty for Me! :o
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 11:16:31 PM »

That's good, 'cause I'm way behind. Just about to start Play Misty for Me! :o

I'll see your one movie behind and raise you three.

My Fistful Of Dollars disk and my Few Dollars More disk ran away and hid under something and now I discover that my Dirty Harry disk is hiding too. They are obviously afraid of being overworked by being played too much, the cowards.

So I am three movies behind and on top of that, I don't have Joe Kidd ! Never even seen it in a movie store. I saw it on tv in the hospital last August.

Woe is me. The shame of it all.

Working from memory, Dirty Harry was a phenomenal film when I saw it in its first run in a downtown Memphis movie house. The first ten minutes or whatever were as realistic as a documentary. Amazing. And the screen presence of Eastwood was something I had never seen in any film before. A unique experience.

When I saw Joe Kidd for free a few months ago, I was pleasantly surprised at how slick and flawless the production was. Because of that, I felt like I could be watching a news documentary and not a made-up movie. Everything about it satisfied me just fine. In my book, there ain't nothin about this movie I don't like.

Manwith
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:31:15 PM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 02:37:03 AM »

I've always rated Joe Kidd at the bottom of Eastwood's westerns but after seeing it today, I have to place it above Two Mules For Sister Sara now. Joe Kidd isn't a great movie but I'm not bored with it and at 80 odd minutes, it doesn't drag on.

I like Lalo Schifrin score, Eastwood plays it cool again. I like how he puts people in there place. The guy in jail with him pushes the coffee cup away then cops the stew in the face and then the saucepan. He pulls Don Stroud down the staircase by his pants and the big finale of driving a train through the saloon then starts shooting. Reminds me of Dirty Harry doing a similar thing with a car into the liquor store.

Overall an entertaining movie.

-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 04:23:33 AM »

Time hasn't done anything for Dirty Harry. It is a great film. With this viewing I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. The Play Misty For Me ad in the wall of the Movie Theatre. I also wonder if the graffiti 'Kyle' was intentional? It must be.

Andy Robinson makes a good villain and a psycho.

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »

With this viewing I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. The Play Misty For Me ad in the wall of the Movie Theatre. I also wonder if the graffiti 'Kyle' was intentional? It must be.

We think so. You also get a glimpse of a lady believed to be Clint's wife at the time, Maggie:

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »

First week I've gotten behind. I'll try to do a double feature today and get caught up!
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 12:21:51 PM »

Just finished Joe Kidd. It was the second viewing of this film for me.

I am a bit tired so my concentration wasn't 100% all the time. It's not his best, and I didn't care much for the music but it was okay.

My favourite scene was when the train came through the saloon wall. ;D

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 12:35:48 PM »

There is something so deliciously decadent about being able to watch a movie on a Sunday afternoon before the coffee pot is even empty. Off to watch Dirty Harry! :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:40:46 PM by Matt » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 06:37:40 PM »

I watched Joe Kidd tonight. It's still about my least favorite western, and probably ranks as one of my over all least favorite Eastwood movies. And even with saying that, it's an okay movie. I like parts of it, mostly dealing with when Joe Kidd escapes from the church to fight Duvall's clan.
higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 08:29:24 PM »

We think so. You also get a glimpse of a lady believed to be Clint's wife at the time, Maggie:

And she was pregnant of Alison at that time!  Kyle was three and a half years old! :D
In the interview at the "BlueNote Tokyo" a few years ago, Kyle told that school bus scene was very very scary in the filming of '' Dirty Harry "!!  :o

With different three pieces suits, Harry was the best dresser in all of cops!!  8)

'' Joe Kid '' was not a very appealing film for me, unfortunately! There were no scenes that I liked specially.......  Schifrin's music either, it looks that his score was not done with great care!  ???
However, I often remember the scene from this film when my grandson played with his steam locomotive typically "Wild West" !!  ;)

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 08:40:37 PM »

I don't know what else to say about Dirty Harry. It's already been said so well, and we've all talked about it so much.  I'll just add that the Blu-Ray transfer is gorgeous -- the colors and crispness of the picture are as bright and brilliant as anything being released today. It's hard to believe it's 45 years old!

As we've seen with watching his career unfold chronologically, this is the big time. He's there. Completely 100% big time. This film is iconic, every screenshot is iconic. Clint with the suit, sunglasses, and gun... iconic.  The music is fantastic... Scorpio's crazed lunatic theme that plays when he's ready to kill... Harry's melancholy theme that plays as he contemplates how he failed Ann Mary Deacon.

The cinematography is fantastic, better than probably any cop film to that date. It's practically an art film with shots like these:

And you can't say enough about Clint's stunt work...

Watching this again after so many years, I notice the religious symbolism more because we've spoken about it SO much here. All the crosses at key moments of the film... the one in Kezar stadium when the camera zooms in on Scorpio on the field (which isn't even near him when the camera shows the scene from high above).

I was reading the trivia on the IMDb page, and they even mentioned this... I guess it's deliberate, since so many others are, but I don't recall this one being mentioned here before.

Before each of Harry's 3 combative encounters with Scorpio, there is a cross and or a reference to Christ: 1.) At the rooftop stakeout, the "Jesus Saves" neon sign. 2.) At the park ransom location, the giant, cement cross. 3.) And at 1:35:14, at the pivotal moment when Harry is spotted by his nemesis from the school bus, a cross extending up from the streetlight. Scorpio even exclaims, "Jeeeesssus!"

Dirty Harry trivia page from IMDb

Here's more from the same trivia page:

Director Cameo
Don Siegel: pedestrian walking past Harry's car when he and Chico return to police headquarters.

:-\  I only see a long-haired blonde. Is this trivia wrong or was it cut? Or, I guess the other possibility is I missed him.

When Scorpio is running away from Callahan at the end of the film, he spots a young boy (Andy Robinson's stepson Steve Zachs in real life) sitting near a pond, and grabs him as a hostage.

If I'd known that was Andy Robinson's stepson, I'd forgotten.

Andrew Robinson who played Scorpio, claims to have ad-libbed the line "Hubba, hubba, hubba, pig bastard" while taunting Harry on the phone.

When Harry finally meets Scorpio in Mount Davidson Park, Scorpio orders him to show his gun with his left hand. Harry pulls it from his holster and Scorpio ad-libs the line, "My, that's a big one!" This line caused the crew to crack up and the scene had to be re-shot, but the line stayed

So Scorpio's two best lines were both ad-libbed by Robinson! 

In real life, Andrew Robinson is a pacifist who despises guns. In the early days of principal photography, Robinson would flinch violently every time he fired. Director Don Siegel was forced to shut down production for a time and sent Robinson to a school to learn to fire a gun convincingly. However, he still blinks noticeably when he shoots. Robinson was also squeamish about filming the scene where he verbally and physically abuses several schoolchildren, and the scene where he racially insults the man he pays to beat him up (Raymond Johnson).

He may have been "squeamish" about those scenes, but man did he ever do them great!

Andrew Robinson created a backstory for Scorpio which involved him being drafted into the Vietnam War, and seeing unspeakable horrors. When he returned home to the United States, he found himself a figure of hate, and his war experiences, combined with the people's treatment of soldiers, caused him to go insane.

And one co-star we really never talk about because Clint and Andy are so good, is...

Ruth Kobart as Marcella Platt, the bus driver. I think she was great in this. She might not have had many lines, but she was perfect... and so believably scared out of her wits.

Now, off to watch Joe Kidd.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:43:18 PM by Matt » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 09:04:31 PM »

I thought Don Siegel's cameo in Dirty Harry was at the beginning? He's wearing sunglasses and a hat as Harry walks down the street to the building, Scorpio fired from the rooftop.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T