News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sofia Coppola to Write and Direct Remake of The Beguiled  (Read 8861 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 05:08:52 PM »

Here's the picture of the cast as it stands now (obviously, that's Sofia on the left):

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 05:52:31 PM »

Actually, I wonder if Elle Fanning wouldn't be Carol instead of Amy. She's a bit old for the Amy character, unless the rewrite changes that.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 12:51:58 AM »

Elle Fanning is 18 ... Old enough for kisses, but too old for Amy. Maybe Carol?
Shannonsmith1993

Email
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 09:30:40 PM »

We haven't talked about the casting that's been done so far:

The Beguiled, 2017

Nicole Kidman as Martha Farnsworth

Kirsten Dunst (Probably Edwina)

Elle Fanning (Probably Amy)

No word on who the male lead will be yet. 

With these names attached to it, this might actually be a successful project.  The cast looks good to me, so far. 

But who could reprise McB?

I keep thinking perhaps Scott could be McB but according to Scott he doesn't want to remake any of his dad's projects
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 09:47:14 PM »

I really have to agree with Scott. I don't want to see him redo his father's films, and I think it's smart for him to know not to.

Throw out some names of American male actors in their early 30's who have some real acting chops. They could go with an unknown, since they already have the star power, but whoever it is would have to be a powerhouse to keep up with Kidman.

Edit:  Just checked the IMDb to see if there's been any additional information, and I found this note in the trivia section:

According to reports, the producers are aiming to find a "Chris Pratt-type of lead" for the male character.

There's no source to that piece of trivia, nor this one that's also on the IMDb trivia page:

This is not a remake of The Beguiled (1971), but instead an adaptation of the novel by Thomas Cullinan.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:58:12 PM by Matt » Logged
Shannonsmith1993

Email
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 10:47:29 PM »

Kyle Eastwood totally would have been my next choice but he doesn't act any more, depends on McBs age in this remake to since Kyle is 47 I believe and Clint was in his early 40's
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 10:50:42 PM »

No, we have to get away from Eastwoods.  :)

Let's have some other names. I actually think Chris Pratt would work. I remember him from Parks & Recreation. He's right about the age I'd think they'd want to cast, too (early 30's, not 20's). 
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 11:02:37 PM »

Hugh Jackman.  ;)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 01:56:46 PM »

I guess a Chris Pratt-type means they can't get Chris Pratt. ???  And I think he would be good in a film like that.

Maybe Ryan Reynolds too.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 02:06:52 PM »

I guess a Chris Pratt-type means they can't get Chris Pratt. ???  And I think he would be good in a film like that.

Maybe Ryan Reynolds too.

Yeah, I had the same thought... why would it be hard to get Chris Pratt?  ???

Maybe he has the look, but not the chops?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »

I think Reynolds is a good actor.

Or is the last line about Pratt as well? He seems to be a pretty good actor too.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 02:23:42 PM »

I was still talking about Pratt. I'm not familiar with Reynolds (I just looked at his filmography on IMDb, and I don't believe I've seen anything but Ted, which I barely remember.)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »

I probably won't see this. I really dislike Colin Farrell, but with his bad boy reputation, he'll probably be a good fit to portray Eastwood's character in this remake.

https://thefilmstage.com/news/colin-farrell-steps-into-clint-eastwoods-shoes-for-sofia-coppolas-the-beguiled-remake/
Shannonsmith1993

Email
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 12:24:03 PM »

I probably won't see this. I really dislike Colin Farrell, but with his bad boy reputation, he'll probably be a good fit to portray Eastwood's character in this remake.

https://thefilmstage.com/news/colin-farrell-steps-into-clint-eastwoods-shoes-for-sofia-coppolas-the-beguiled-remake/

I'm not seeing this. Colin screwed up Total Recall remake
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:56:59 PM by KC » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 06:57:44 PM »

Shannon, I edited your post to show what part was the quote and what part was your comment.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2016, 09:46:12 AM »

My first thought of who could play McBurney was Scott Eastwood but yeah, probably not a good idea for him to do it.  Although, I stand by my opinion he would be perfect to do a pre-Dirty Harry project.  He's probably the ony one who could do that effectively.  Granted, probably more by looks than acting experience at this point so he needs some more experience.  I agree that Hugh Jackman would be a good choice.  He does resemble a younger, late 1960's era Eastwood.  No others have come to mind but I haven't given it serious thought, anyway. 

I honestly don't like the idea of remakes in general.  While there have been successes in the past, for the most part it's a bad idea and failures are in abundance.  That doesn't meant his won't be worth checking out.  Who knows, it may be very good.   
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »

The movie will be a bomb anyway. A remake of Tarantula would certainly make more @ the box office.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2016, 07:21:53 PM »

The movie will be a bomb anyway. A remake of Tarantula would certainly make more @ the box office.

But who would you cast in the Eastwood role there? ???
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2016, 07:27:58 PM »

I agree that Hugh Jackman would be a good choice.  He does resemble a younger, late 1960's era Eastwood.  No others have come to mind but I haven't given it serious thought, anyway. 

Hugh Jackman is 47 years old. And he still doesn't look like Eastwood, young or middle-aged.

FWIW, Colin Farrell is the same age Clint was when he made The Beguiled ... forty. They might want to go with someone a bit younger.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2016, 12:39:26 PM »

Hugh Jackman is 47 years old. And he still doesn't look like Eastwood, young or middle-aged.

FWIW, Colin Farrell is the same age Clint was when he made The Beguiled ... forty. They might want to go with someone a bit younger.

Well, I think at best Jackman resembles a younger Clint and he may be 47 but is in great shape and looks young enough still that he could pull it off. Definitely more so than Farrell.  I agree that they'd probably want to go with someone younger.  Ryan Reynolds might be a good choice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T