News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »

Poll

The RC Car Chase in the Dead Pool is...

The worst scene in the movie.
1 (8.3%)
The best scene in the movie.
6 (50%)
The worst scene in the DH franchise
2 (16.7%)
Funny and original, but didn't belong in the movie
3 (25%)
I don't know, I haven't watched The Dead Pool yet
0 (0%)
I have no opinion, but I like voting in polls.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RC Car Chase in The Dead Pool  (Read 2108 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 29, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 08:16:57 PM »

It's unanimous so far ... ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »

It's no longer unanimous!

I hate this scene, but at the same time, I like it. It belongs in a parody film, and we can't have the Dirty Harry series ending with a parody of itself. Think about how this entry in the series degenerated, if you compare it to the original Dirty Harry. You went from a realistic story, bone-chilling psycho killer, gritty scenes, a cop who's had it with life and the system - who can stand in front of a killer with a gun and dare them to shoot him, to running from a toy car. You have an impossible situation -- the driver of the toy car managing to steer the car through streets before he can even see them, and also steer the RC car while steering his own car, when Harry can barely manage to navigate his own car through those same streets.

Yes, it's funny -- if it were a parody film. But, not for the Dirty Harry series, and that's how I cast my vote.

But I wanted to see what others thought, because I know a lot of people really like this scene. So, if you want to defend why it's the best scene in the movie, let's hear it!  :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »

I think the whole film is more or less a parody and was meant as such ... but I'm so far behind in the Eastwood Challenge that I haven't rewatched the first two sequels yet, so maybe my judgment is clouded by the vagaries of memory.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:34:28 AM »

I agree with you -- I just finished my long post about the movie, and felt the same way.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 10:56:33 AM »

Hate that scene!
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 10:19:44 PM »

I like it. :)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 12:13:27 PM »

When is first saw "The Dead Pool", I actually verbatim thought that the RC car scene was "Funny and original, but didn't belong in the movie."

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 12:13:42 AM »

When is first saw "The Dead Pool", I actually verbatim thought that the RC car scene was "Funny and original, but didn't belong in the movie."

If you voted, that's you and me then.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »

I like the car scene and think it's fine in the movie. I don't think it's the best scene in the film though. My favorite scene is when Harry confronts Swan's character about being on the dead pool:

Peter Swan: Do you mind, gentlemen? I happen to be at a funeral.
Harry Callahan: Like to talk to you about your list.
Peter Swan: It's no big secret. Most of the cast and crew knew about it. I didn't tell you because the dead pool is just a harmless game.
Harry Callahan: Sounds pretty sick to me.
Peter Swan: Let me tell you something, Callahan. People... people are fascinated with death and violence. That's why my films make money. They're an escape, a vicarious release of fear. Same thing with this game. Nobody takes my films *or* the dead pool seriously.
Harry Callahan: Well, someone gave Squares the drugs that killed him - maybe it was you.
Peter Swan: You can't tie me into Johnny's death just because of a coincidence. My assistant and my effects supervisor were playing the game too, why don't you talk to them?
Harry Callahan: Oh, we will - but nobody on their list is dead yet.
Peter Swan: Hey, look, Callahan, Johnny was a major drugs user, and I predicted he'd die this year, but that's all I did. Don't you get it? The whole idea is to pick celebrities who aren't going to make it, because they're old, or because they're sick or because they're in a high-risk profession.
Harry Callahan: Like police work?
Peter Swan: Nothing personal, love.
Harry Callahan: I don't like your list, Swan. I don't like being on it.
Peter Swan: Ah, that's, that's what this is really all about, isn't it? Well, if you got a charge to make...
Harry Callahan: Maybe I'll start my own dead pool, and put you on it.
Peter Swan: You threatening me?
Harry Callahan: You want to play the game, you'd better know the rules, love.

This is great stuff!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 06:54:40 PM »

I'd say that's my favorite scene also. Even reading the dialogue you posted, I want to recite it in Liam Neeson's awesome accent.

"Are you threatening me?!"
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 08:42:37 PM »

I actually love the car scene.  Its the first thing I think about when I think of this movie.  It was fun and something different.  Just my opinion!
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 06:33:28 PM »

The Dead Pool was 91 minutes of a tired embarrassingly written and directed movie.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:37:46 PM by Perry » Logged
herofan

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 06:40:22 PM »

It's no longer unanimous!

I hate this scene, but at the same time, I like it. It belongs in a parody film, and we can't have the Dirty Harry series ending with a parody of itself. Think about how this entry in the series degenerated, if you compare it to the original Dirty Harry. You went from a realistic story, bone-chilling psycho killer, gritty scenes, a cop who's had it with life and the system - who can stand in front of a killer with a gun and dare them to shoot him, to running from a toy car. You have an impossible situation -- the driver of the toy car managing to steer the car through streets before he can even see them, and also steer the RC car while steering his own car, when Harry can barely manage to navigate his own car through those same streets.

Yes, it's funny -- if it were a parody film. But, not for the Dirty Harry series, and that's how I cast my vote.

But I wanted to see what others thought, because I know a lot of people really like this scene. So, if you want to defend why it's the best scene in the movie, let's hear it!  :)

I agree.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 07:05:37 AM »

I finally voted in this. I voted for best scene in the film--though I'm not sure I would actually go that far with it, but it is a scene that always comes to mind when I think of The Dead Pool. And it's always been something I've liked in the movie.
Aline

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 07:58:22 AM »

I wanted to vote but there's no option for me in the list. >:(  I think the scene it's funny and original and it did belong in the movie and I love the scene but is not the best scene in the movie there are many others I like more such as the guy asking Harry an autograph; Harry trying to save the guy from putting fire on himself and the the way he shoots the killer at the ending (I hope this is not a spoiler :laugh: )

I used to have the five stars
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 04:58:16 PM »

Spoiler? Nah. Clint ALWAYS shoots the killer at the end! ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 05:40:45 PM »

Nice to see Aline working her way back up to 5 stars.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 06:18:07 PM »

I wish I could award honorary stars! I don't think that's one of the special powers of an Admin, though.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 09:10:20 PM »

Only 450 posts to go!  O0
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T