News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Michael Cimino, R.I.P.  (Read 788 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« on: July 02, 2016, 03:42:43 PM »

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot director Michael Cimino has reportedly died at the age of 77.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/michael-cimino-the-deer-hunter-director-dead-at-77-20160702#ixzz4DI9QsvbD

The report linked above mentions that a representative didn't confirm or deny that Cimino had died, which seems strange. Here's the section about his work with Eastwood's films:

After beginning his career in art and advertising, the New York-born Cimino moved quickly into screenwriting in the early Seventies, co-writing the sci-fi epic Silent Running and the Dirty Harry sequel Magnum Force.

The success of those films allowed Cimino to step behind the camera for this debut feature Thunderbolt & Lightfoot, starring Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges. The film became a hit at the box office and provided Cimino an opportunity to have his pick for his next project. He chose the ambitious Vietnam War drama The Deer Hunter.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 06:09:02 PM »

Variety has the news too ...

http://variety.com/2016/film/people-news/michael-cimino-dead-dies-deer-hunter-heavens-gate-1201808052/

I just rewatched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot for the Challenge. Amazing how assured and accomplished it is for a director's debut. It's too bad the fiasco of Heaven's Gate derailed his career. (Though some are nowadays re-evaluating it as a masterpiece.)

R.I.P., Michael Cimino.
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 04:41:04 AM »

I need to re-watch Thunderbolt and Lightfoot... even though I've seen it several times, it's been a very long time since my last viewing. Both Clint and Jeff Bridges were so great in this movie.

I've always thought that the director's cut of Heaven's Gate was awesome.  The theatrical version was so cut up to reduce the running time that it didn't play very well.  Although Cimino went way overboard with spending money on Heaven's Gate... (the book Final Cut: Dreams and Disaster in the Making of Heaven's Gate is a great read)
Kinski

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 05:52:03 AM »

Thank you, Mr. Cimino

You will ever be the greatest director in the history of cinema.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 01:10:03 PM »

R.I.P. Mr. Cimino. Thanks for one of my favorite Eastwood movies, and for the source of material of one of my favorite (and at the same time least favorite) debates on this board.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 01:47:16 PM »

R.I.P. Michael Cimino

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/h2JRySPVol0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/h2JRySPVol0</a>

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 05:11:57 PM »

Cimino was a true brilliant Director. Took chances and paid a price for it. Regardless, Heavens Gate is still a better film than Unforgiven.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 09:17:40 PM »

Eastwood should try to get Cimino's script from the Andre Malraux novel he had written and make the movie. It's a classic book and would be a great movie.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T