News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who saw Sully? Members' Comments (WARNING: SPOILERS ALLOWED!)  (Read 2031 times)
Dan Dassow
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »

"Sully" is the work of a master filmmaker. On a technical level, it is very well done. The script is quite well written, the editing is tight, and the acting by Tom Hanks as Sully is understated yet quietly confident. It's exactly the kind of naturalistic performance Tom Hanks routinely delivers. ...
AKA23, I enjoyed reading your review. It is well written with excellent analysis. Your points are coherently and effectively argued.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 09:58:53 PM »

I want to chime in with others who have praised AKA's review. Excellent job! I like how you tie it up with themes that run through Eastwood's career. I would add to your last point, the "value of decades of human experience" ... that is a theme also in Space Cowboys, and perhaps more relevant to Sully than even Trouble with the Curve.

I finally saw Sully today, unfortunately not in IMAX ... the friend I went with doesn't like the theaters where it's playing in that format. We both really enjoyed it. Even though you already know everyone survived, it really makes you feel the horror of what passengers and crew were going through ... and what Sully, who had all their lives in his hands, was going through as well. The emotional high point came shortly after the crash, when Sully learned that the count of rescued passengers ... was 155, same as the number on board.

I realize the drama surrounding the events after the crash was contrived for the screenplay (the investigation wasn't actually that confrontational) but considering that this is a fiction film, not a documentary, it was probably necessary in order to make the story satisfactorily structured. The landing itself was too brief to take up a whole feature film, and had it only been a story of Sully's triumph, I don't think it would have attracted Clint's attention, and probably not the audience's, either. You needed a conflict beyond that, something that would call Sully's heroism into question, also for himself, yet leave him vindicated at the end.

In a way, this is Clint's lightest film in years. Even though there is so much potential horror, the audience has the advantage of knowing that everyone was safe despite it all, and when Sully triumphs in the hearing, it's a happy ending for everyone involved, the investigators included. How long has it been since there was an Eastwood-directed film of which it can be said, as of the title song in Honkytonk Man, "Nobody dies in this one"?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:02:25 AM by KC » Logged
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 01:05:08 PM »

I saw it and liked it a lot. I forgot about it being on IMAX, but it's okay, I was quite riveted during all the scenes of the landing. I think it helps I flew out east last week, so had just been on a plane. Tom Hanks gives, of course, a very good performance, and sells the idea of how traumatic an experience it was, and how the millions of passengers he's flown safely won't matter if he's not vindicated for his decision to land it on the Hudson. The movie is tight, as tight as anything I've seen by Eastwood. It's incredible how he continues to make films of this quality at his age.

I will say the investigation felt a little off, as I had a hard time imagining that sort of hostility following an event like this. It didn't seem very professional, and then come to find out, Sully didn't face nearly that much hostility in real life. I realize the necessity in order to make a satisfying movie. There's otherwise not a lot to work with, as far as developing a richer story. Unfortunately it just seems a flaw inherent in adapting this to the big screen. I suppose I would have to read the book to discover how much questioning he really faced. Obviously any crash is going to be investigated thoroughly, to the point where pilots probably do question themselves and if they could have done more. Anyway, I like it a lot. Less than American Sniper but more than the last several films before it.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 08:39:27 PM »

Saw it in California last Saturday. Thought it was a good movie. It's a movie and style Don Siegel would had made 60 years ago. Only negative was some clown sitting in back of me in the theatre uttered " I hate New York too" after Aaron Eckhart says " Never thought I'd be glad to be in New York". Only reason I didnt clock the clown was I didn't want to spill my popcorn............Eastwood's on a roll.
Aline

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »

Sully was set to open here in Brasil last Friday but a traggic accident with a plane in Colômbia killed 71 Brasilian football players last week. I have heard the movie was cancelled because of this. I don't know if it is true but it makes sense. It would painful to watch a movie involving a plane accident in those circumstances. I didn't know where to write this but as I thought by now I would have watched the movie, I am posting here. I am waiting for a new release date.  :(

I used to have the five stars
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 09:46:20 PM »

That was so sad, Aline! It's understandable that they've postponed the release. I can imagine it might take a while until it's rescheduled.
Aline

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 09:34:04 AM »

Finally watched it! It had been long time since I went to the movies to watch a Clint one. I didn't go to J. Edgar, Jersey Boys and American Snipe. It's so different in the theater. The excitement starts from buying the ticket and looking at the poster until the movie itself, the sound, the big screen, well you know how is the feeling. I used to go with my mother, I missed her so much, that gave me a melancholic feeling through the whole movie. :(

Well I am not a critic review, I don't know techniques of how direct movie, I thought Sully very slow paced. Everybody praise the edition but I didn't like much. I knew already for reviews it was focused on the investigation and Sully's personal turmoil. His talks with the wife by the phone sometimes were unnecessary. The landing and rescue scenes were moving and very well done. Tom Hanks was amazing and I liked Aaron Eckart too. But I see the same style of Invictus and Hereafter and again the ending was sudden and could have had been more emotional. During the credits I wondered what happened with great endings like Gran Torino, White Hunter Black Heart, True Crime, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby even Invictus? Lacked a more effective/emotional closure.

I liked, it was a good movie, those ones that make me pround of being a Clint fan, I want it in my dvd collection for sure and know it will grow on me but for now that was my first impression.  :)

I used to have the five stars
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T