News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CEWB Movie Club - Who wants in?  (Read 6481 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2017, 09:31:51 PM »

I did finish The Magnificent Seven ... then I hung on to it hoping to get through the commentary track. Finally I gave up and took it back to the library.   :-[

I caught the original Manchurian Candidate on TV shortly after the discussion here. What an unbelievable plotline ... People were supposed to imagine that the Russians would secretly attempt to influence a U.S. presidential election in favor of a vainglorious megalomaniac, in the expectation they would be able to manipulate him afterwards? Never happen. ;)
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2017, 02:54:11 AM »

I wish I could participate guys, I just have (honestly) NO spare time with work and a 5 year old and an 18 month old running riot  :D

Had to post and say that I watched The Manchurian Candidate on blu-ray with my husband the other day (by coincidence) and it just blew me away ... it felt so topical with Trump and everything that's going on right now (as you say KC!) ... what incredible performances too. Have to say (apart from early Sinatra) I am a bigger fan of Sinatra's acting than his singing.

Also fascinating to discover that Laurence Harvey (who also turned in a great performance) was the father of Domino Harvey, the bounty hunter (sadly also deceased) – I love following through degrees of separation like that (I could probably get to Kevin Bacon if I tried  ;D).

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2017, 04:08:38 PM »

Had to post and say that I watched The Manchurian Candidate on blu-ray with my husband the other day (by coincidence) and it just blew me away ... it felt so topical with Trump and everything that's going on right now (as you say KC!) ...

And that's why I wanted to do it. It wasn't just Trump though -- candidate Clinton was every bit as much of a "Manchuarian Candidate", if not more so. One thing for sure, our political system is a wreck with way too much corporate influence, as can be seen in the 2004 Manchuarian Candidate remake.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2017, 06:59:13 PM »

Also fascinating to discover that Laurence Harvey (who also turned in a great performance) was the father of Domino Harvey, the bounty hunter (sadly also deceased) – I love following through degrees of separation like that (I could probably get to Kevin Bacon if I tried  ;D).
I loved Harvey's performance, too.

I never heard of Domino Harvey. Interesting, sad story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino_Harvey
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2017, 01:19:33 PM »

And that's why I wanted to do it. It wasn't just Trump though -- candidate Clinton was every bit as much of a "Manchuarian Candidate", if not more so. One thing for sure, our political system is a wreck with way too much corporate influence, as can be seen in the 2004 Manchuarian Candidate remake.

I haven't seen the remake. It'll be hard to try and watch it now I know the original is so good!

P.S. Know what you mean about the political system being a wreck ... many people feel that way in Britain  :-[
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:24:06 PM by allycat » Logged

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »

I loved Harvey's performance, too.

I never heard of Domino Harvey. Interesting, sad story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino_Harvey

The name rang a bell when I remembered there was a film that came out soon after her death starring Keira Knightley as Domino. The wrong choice for actress I think but might be interesting to watch, or a documentary on her life if there is one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:22:57 PM by allycat » Logged

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »

Howdy. Is this still going? I’ve had quite a busy year, going back to November, 2016.  So much has happened that I just didn’t have time, even with two months short-term disability recently.  I always thought this was a good idea and even with my being in the beginning stages of sharing thoughts on a series of films and tv show on Facebook (of which I’m sharing the latter of the two here on the CE Forum), I think I can manage time to participate in this CEWB Movie Club.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:08:05 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

I reckon so.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »

I was thinking of this too - maybe after we get past all the holidays, we'll come back and put together a schedule again.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T