News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TAG, you're it!  (Read 113863 times)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2003, 09:58:49 AM »

And mgk, since you're enjoying putting me on the spot with Tightrope questions... here's one for you:

Which "bad guy" from an Eastwood movie would you be most willing to spend the night with (if you weren't married).  And no fair picking Eastwood from any of his ambiguous good/bad guy roles.

Shucks!!  Can't pick Eastwood!  Well, that narrows it down to three choices:

Butch Haynes (Kevin Costner) from A Perfect World
Officer Mike Grimes (Robert Urich) from Magnum Force (if he was still with us)
Officer Phil Sweet (Tim Matheson) from Magnum Force

My choice would be Officer Grimes (Robert Urich) because he has always been a favorite actor of mine.  He was a really nice guy in real life so I would enjoy spending some time with him as Robert Urich himself but would probably enjoy his company if he was Officer Grimes.  He seemed to have been the least mean of the four vigilantes.

If I can't choose him because he's no longer with us then I'd choose Officer Sweet (Tim Matheson) because he's a nice looking man and I've usually enjoyed any roles he has played....most recently on televisions West Wing as the Vice-President of the United States.

Oh, if it weren't for fantasies, where would we be, Matt? :-*

Doug:  Since you seem to be checking in with us every once in a while.......which Eastwood film do you think had more unanswered plot holes than any other movie of his?  And, do you think it hurt the success of the film?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 10:00:18 AM by mgk » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2003, 10:06:07 AM »

Tagging

Walt: What's your favorite Eastwood movie?

KC: Is there an actor that you'd like to see Clint work with that he hasn't already worked with? If so, who?
eustressor

Undeterred.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2003, 10:06:56 AM »

Doh! I've got another tag to give...

Misty - Which of Clint's onscreen love affairs do you find the most unlikely, that is, you have a hard time buying that those two would ever end up together? Which one did you find the most believable and/or realistic?
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2003, 10:36:14 AM »

Misty - Which of Clint's onscreen love affairs do you find the most unlikely, that is, you have a hard time buying that those two would ever end up together? Which one did you find the most believable and/or realistic?

the one that I cant see happening is Jed Cooper and Rachel in "hang 'em high" I felt that it wasnt necessary and that the script would have been fine without that love affair.I think it looked a little overdone, and maybe the film would have been better if it's only focal point was Cooper's revenge on the men who hung him. But then Im not a huge hang em high fan, so maybe it influences my choice.
 The one that I find most believable would be Robert and Franscesca, since the whole movie is dedicated to their romance, and because I think they acted wonderfuly and really looked in love.
 My second choice would be Dave Garver and Tobie, because there are some beautiful love scenes and the two of them look like they could form a couple

Ok, I only got one tag to do since Ive already been tagged today so here it goes:

CONAN;which scene in any eastwood film, did you think was too long to hold attention and should have been shortened?

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
Frank Morris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2003, 10:43:22 AM »

Frank Morris - Is there any film Clint starred in but didn't direct that you think would have been better if he had directed it? Similarly, is there any film he directed that you think would have been better if he'd just starred and let someone else take the helm?

Well, the thing about Clint is that he acts just as good as he directs so it's a bit hard to choose, but if i had to i would have choosen True Crime for a movie he would have been better of just playing the leading role. The film was a bit slow and could have been better(hate to say it). But the acting was as usual awsomely great!

A film he would be better of directing would probably have been A Perfect World. If he would have directed the film alone and just focused on that he would have made an even better film!

mc Garrett   - Your favourite Eastwood western and why?
eblair - Your favourite film that Eastwood has directed?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 10:44:24 AM by Frank Morris » Logged

Alcatraz Fan
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2003, 11:10:09 AM »

Misty: Which scene in any Eastwood film, did you think was too long to hold attention and should have been shortened?

Tough question, because there are not many.  I would say the training scenes in "Space Cowboys" ran a little long.  And parts in the middle of "Blood Work" seemed to drag.  But really, I'm stretching it because I can't think of one specific scene in an Eastwood flick that is milked to the point of utter boredom.

Tags coming soon...

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2003, 02:03:21 PM »

MGK, what's the tiny admirable quality that you're finding with Richmond? I didn't find any.
bcm

Not all those who wander are lost

View Profile Email
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2003, 02:20:32 PM »

bcm:  What is your favorite opening scene of all the Eastwood movies you have seen so far?  Why?
Thanks mgk for tagging me. Great question, much more difficult than I first thought...
Generally speaking I enjoy opening sequences that don't show the skyline of some city by night, or the landscape of some country. This narrows it down a bit, but not too much. One opening sequence I enjoyed was Hang'em High. No credits, you're right in the middle of the happening. And when Matt added the idea that this opening sequence might symbolize the end of Rawhide (which I have never seen), I liked it even more.
But, today, I think my favorite opening sequence has to be the one from Perfect world. When I first watched the movie, I didn't understand AT ALL what this was all about. A man lies in the grass, the sun is shining (sleeping?) Then you see a ghost mask beside him (what does a grown up use a ghost mask for?). Later, dollar bills in the grass, on the man (where does that money come from?). Calm and silent music in the background, the sun with a bird flying "through" it, at this moment the title Perfect world shows. Then you hear a beat, I first thought it was the beating of that man's heart, but then I saw it was a helicopter. He apparently wants to look at the helicopter, so why doesn't he get up? Open his eyes? What is this all about???? The audience sees everything, but understands nothing, because we don't know the story yet. So, all we want now is to UNDERSTAND what happened, what these images are all about. Is there a better way to introduce a movie?

mgk: (Yes, it's your turn now  ;)). I know this question has been asked before, but I'd like to know your answer to it. Which movie would you show a child/kid to introduce him/her to Eastwood?  And why would you choose that one?

Lilly: Since you like to travel, I will ask you a question you have once asked Palm  ;D. If you could take Clint to any place of the world for one day, where would you take him? And why?

P.S.: I'm terrible at inventing good questions, so I just "steel" some I like. Is that ok?

"He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home: and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace" Sam, TTT, written by JRR Tolkien, 1954
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2003, 02:49:51 PM »

bcm, I remember the first time I saw A Perfect World feeling exactly as you did... being very confused, not sure what I was seeing, interpreting everything pretty much exactly as you did... right down to thinking that the sound of the helicopter was a heartbeat at first.  And then at the end, when we see it again, it all makes sense.  Such a great technique by Eastwood.

And I agree with both of your favorite opening sequence choices.  
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2003, 03:17:22 PM »

From Matt

PHILO:  I don't recall you ever discussing how you discovered Eastwood films.  Which film of his was the first that you remember seeing?  Was it the one that made you a fan?  How old were you at the time?

It is funny how things come around , I think it was Misty that expressed how good some us remember details of Eastwood films. This was said at the end of the recent quiz , and I was going to comment a little then, on what Matt is asking now .

The first Eastwood film I remember becoming aware of at the time of release is The Gauntlet. I was born in 1963 so that made me 14. My father had been ill in hospital and was in a ward next to a guy who worked in a cinema. I had been a film fan since my Mum started to take me around the age of 10 and he asked this guy if he could get me any film posters.
One day arriving home from school there was a box of posters waiting for me. One of these was The Gauntlet, which had not opened yet. The film was a "X" certificate here in the UK (nobody under 18 admitted) . It was arranged that through this friend I would be able to quietly be allowed in to see it.
That was it ....
A month or so later High plains drifter (X) and The Eiger sanction (AA nobody under 14 allowed) came around and I was also able to see them.
From then on I went all over London to see anything Eastwood including two all night screenings on account of films such as Coogan, sister sara and Beguiled being shown just for those one nighters and that was my only chance to see them on film.
In 1978 I saw my first Eastwood film on tv a late night uncut screening of Hang 'em high.

I started collecting Eastwood material in 1977 and am still collecting today.

Philo ..... This is your life !!!!!    ;)

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2003, 03:31:45 PM »

From Misty :

PHILO: i know youre a fan of "every wich way but loose? How do you think the movie would have been different without Clyde? Same storyline and all, but without the orang-outang? Do you think the movie would have had such a big commercial success and why?

I have never really thought about this too much. I do think the film would have been seen as more average with out the unusual angle of having Clyde as Philo's most trusted companion. If you compare him to Lynn he is certainly more loyal and some might say more attractive :o :o :o  (I could get heat for this!!!) ;)

I have some press material from Japan where Clyde is the big secret of the film, he is not featured on any of the poster artwork and on the reverse of a Japan flyer it features pictures of all the cast and a single photo box with this

" ? "

I think this answers the question better than I could.

Philo .

mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2003, 03:33:30 PM »

MGK, what's the tiny admirable quality that you're finding with Richmond? I didn't find any.
He could waltz? ;D

Actually, AKA, I don't find anything admirable about Allen Richmond.  I got lazy in my post and lumped him in with all the rest.  However, I wouldn't have chosen him as the "meanest, baddest, dirtiest, least admirable, most sinister and hateful character in the land of Eastwood" either because he's weak.  He doesn't do any of his own dirty work and he's a whining, sniveling wimp and slithering snake of a character but he's not dangerous alone like El Indio is.  He is, however, one of my least favorite characters in an Eastwood movie.

But, thanks for calling it to my attention.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 07:05:38 PM by mgk » Logged
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2003, 04:08:35 PM »

mgk: (Yes, it's your turn now  ;)). I know this question has been asked before, but I'd like to know your answer to it. Which movie would you show a child/kid to introduce him/her to Eastwood?  And why would you choose that one?
The only Eastwood movie I feel I could show to young children is Bronco Billy.   Bad language is non-existent in this movie and the kids would probably really like to watch the show that Billy and his troupe put on.  And, they would love the scene where Billy catches the young boys looking at his car and then shows them how fast he can draw his guns.  Most of Eastwood's other movies are either too serious, too adult, or too complicated for young children.

KC:  I'm assuming that you have seen the movie, The Pride of the Yankees, starring Gary Cooper.  Do you think that Eastwood could have played the role of Lou Gehrig just as well as Cooper did or maybe even better?  If you haven't seen that movie, is there any other baseball movie that you think Eastwood would have been perfectly cast in the leading role?

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2003, 05:01:35 PM »

My tags .....

Lilly

In the film industry there is a lot of problems with copyright and clearence on material. It is possible that at one time or another Mr Eastwood has not been able to get a particular song that he has wanted for a certain scene.
Choose a scene that could have a song added and add a suitable one.
Don't worry the question is not needing anything serious, but your thoughts would be good.

AKA

You have a machine that can switch history around. You are going to take one Eastwood and one Harrison Ford film and switch the leads, leaving both suitable for future generations. Which do you choose and why?

Philo .

Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2003, 05:12:21 PM »

Tags...

AKA: What is your favorite song from Eastwood's movies?

Brendan: Who is the best looking actress in all of Clint's westerns?

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2003, 06:08:03 PM »

Sorry guys. I've been feeling worse than I've felt in a long time, and I know I've been lagging behind as far as coming up with new questions in the tag game. I'll come up with the questions, and keep asking me new ones. I enjoy these questions. Sorry, when you're feeling that sick, it's hard to concentrate on coming up with new questions for you guys.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2003, 06:23:57 PM »

Take yout time AKA ,

My question might need a bit of time .

Hope you are feeling better soon .

Philo .

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2003, 07:33:35 PM »

Thanks Philo. I think as a partial answer to your question, I'll say Air Force One . I really think Clint could have done that role. However, I must confess, I really don't have a broad exposure to Ford's work, so I'm probably not all that qualified to answer this question too accurately. I haven't seen Blade Runner , I haven't really seen the Indiana Jones films all the way through either. I've seen Presumed Innocent , which was good, but I don't think Clint would have been very good in that role. Not sure about Clint in Witness . I'm not really seeing it. Air Force One seems to fit for me. As far as the reasons why, it would have been rather cool to see Clint in a role like Ford's as the President of the United States, with a good amount of action, a decent story, a crowd pleasing film. More to the point, I see a lot of similarity in Ford and Eastwood's acting styles. He's rather laconic usually, a man of few words, he's rather expressive, he can show his inner turmoil and conflict onscreen, and all of these things are hallmarks of Eastwood's acting style. What do you think Philo? Which one of Ford's films do you think would be well suited to Eastwood?

As far as an Eastwood film that Ford would be suited for, this is even tougher. As a preliminary answer, I'm going with The Bridges of Madison County . Not that Ford would have been better in the role, but I think he could have probably pulled it off, and might have been perceived even better and with more ease as a romantic leading man than Eastwood at the time.

You think these are good choices Philo. Give me your thoughts. If you want me to think about it even more and give you something else later, let me know that too.  

Conan, if we're asking about music in Eastwood's films, I'd probably have to say Kate's Theme .
« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 07:40:24 PM by AKA23 » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2003, 07:37:07 PM »

Matt : I'd like to steal Philo's excellent question, and ask you, as I know that you've said that you're a real Harrison Ford fan, and would probably be able to give an even better answer than I was able to do. As written by Philo, You have a machine that can switch history around. You are going to take one Eastwood and one Harrison Ford film and switch the leads, leaving both suitable for future generations. Which do you choose and why?

raimius

"Don't call me Buddy, Pal or Sweetheart..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2003, 02:29:55 AM »

raimius after years of collecting paperbacks, which would you consider as your favorite memorabile, and why? (it doesn't have to be a paperback, just any Eastwood related item)

Hope I'm playing the game correctly...don't hesitate to fire me if not! "Evil" character...has to be Evelyn Draper. My Tag question was about memorabilia...My gut reaction is my personal memory of seeing Where Eagles Dare at the cinema..first time I saw CE in a movie. Been a fan ever since. Physical memorabilia - my signed autograph with CE and Clyde on a Harley...with some Gauntlet publicity material a close second. Do I now Tag someone else? (I gotta go cut the lawns now!!)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2003, 05:54:20 AM by Matt » Logged

May the 'Magnum' Force be with you.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T