News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 Movie Discussion  (Read 2655 times)
Phantomstranger
Member Extraordinaire

I Have A Horse, And The West Is Wide.

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »

I haven't read any of The Dark Tower series, and haven't planned on going to see the movie anyhow, but it's surprising to hear they'd take aspects from the whole series and put it in only one movie! I figured they were aiming to make a few movies at least.

That's what I thought and they do (kind of a spoiler) leave it open for a sequel. Maybe they're going to use the leftover parts for the next one (if there is one)

They'd never forget, the day the stranger rode into town.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2017, 12:48:06 PM »

I forgot to mention that I have the first book in the series, but just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I didn't know much about the plot line until the movie trailer, and it does sound interesting.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2017, 06:15:44 PM »

Madame

Anne and Bob, an American couple living in Paris, organize a dinner party and invite ten friends. Bob's son arrives by surprise and the total number of guests is now 13. The superstitious Anne asks her maid, Maria, to pretend to be a rich Spanish friend and join the table. Maria meets David, a British aristocrat. They both like each other and will continue their relationship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_(2017_film)

A nice little film. Even though I loathed Toni Collette's character, Anne. She does play her part well.

4/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2017, 12:56:11 AM »

Dunkirk

Thrilling ...

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 05:01:38 PM »

Saw this yesterday. Lots of action, plenty of humor.  Very enjoyable and entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon so.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2017, 04:28:31 AM »

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Very good ...

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »

Blade Runner 2049

Visually stunning and a great expansion to the original myth.

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2017, 08:14:35 AM »

Alien: Covenant

An improvement from the previous films (Prometheus included) of the saga but, not even close to the first three films.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2017, 10:51:27 AM »

I might try to catch Blade Runner 2049 this week. Next weekend Happy Death Day comes out here, and I've been anticipating that one for a while. It sounds like Groundhog Day as a horror film. ;D
PeterD

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2017, 10:13:14 PM »

Had a poor run of movies lately, hard pressed to name any that I liked.

Did enjoy The Naked City, the 1948 film that was a hit in the day. The first movie filmed in New York apparently, no studio sets or anything. It was fascinating to see the city how it was back in that year. Solid movie.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2017, 02:05:33 AM »

I should hopefully get to see Blade Runner 2049 in a couple days. Scared and excited both.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2017, 02:25:32 PM »

Saw Blade Runner 2049. I thought it was a really good movie. On its own I would say it's a great but flawed movie. Unfortunately it doesn't stand on its own as a sequel and compared to the original it feels like a, I don't know, sort of replicant of the original, on the surface stunning and convincing and interesting, but ultimately lacking something.

As a movie, I think it has two big flaws: It's too long, by maybe twenty minutes, and the bad guy played by Jared Leto is terrible and out of place. His two main motivations seem to be greed for wanting to make more replicants to enrich himself (trite) and a massive god-complex (obnoxiously trite).

What made the original Blade Runner so great, beyond its production values and mood, wasn't the plot but the deeper story it was telling through its themes and characters. This Blade Runner pushes the plot more toward the front and the themes are just far less compelling and interesting. It's trying, it's trying to push the original themes farther along, but in the process it just retreads ideas explored in tons of other works. The movie works, for sure, but it's just not as compelling as the original.

The visuals, the music, and the effects, but again it's just playing off of the original, pushing it a little thanks to the advances in technology. Roger Deakins is the director of photography and he just might be the best in the business, and so naturally the film looks great. Ryan Gosling is great in the role of K, the replicant blade runner, who despite playing a character designed to show little emotion is able to convey a lot with very little.

Anyhow, for me this was a sequel I never wanted that is nonetheless quite good, but not good enough that I've changed my mind about its necessity for even existing in the first place. Perhaps a younger person just discovering the original wouldn't have the biases I have.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »

Thor: Ragnarok

Don't really like the super hero movie type but, this one is great fun.

4/5

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »

Murder on the Orient Express

Just great. Superb cinematography, solid direction and Branagh's Poirot  is as good as only Ustinov ever was  O0

My favorite movie of the year so far

4/5

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »

Murder on the Orient Express

Just great. Superb cinematography, solid direction and Branagh's Poirot  is as good as only Ustinov ever was  O0

My favorite movie of the year so far

4/5
I want to see this one soon. I recently finished the book.

I enjoyed the new Thor a lot. A few weeks back I watched both Happy Death Day and The Foreigner, and liked both. I even went back to see Happy Death Day a second time.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 12:55:38 PM »

Justice League

Boring ............

1,5/5

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: Today at 07:15:57 AM »

I thought Justice League was fun. I'd place it behind Wonder Woman for the best DC live action films.

I also watched Murder on the Orient Express a few days ago and enjoyed it as well. Just having read the novel I knew what to expect, but it was a pretty good adaptation. Of course some things were ramped up for the drama of the movie.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

Endeavor to persevere.

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: Today at 07:27:06 PM »

Enjoyed all of these.  Great seeing Jackie Chan in action again.  The third Thor film is better than its’ predecessor and Justice League lived up to expectations.

I think Chan was rumored to appear in one of the Expendables sequels, disappointed he wasn’t so I was looking forward to seeing The Foreigner and hope to see more by Chan before long.   The man is still entertaining, still quick, still strong and still relevant.

I’m enjoying Marvel and DC Comics’ superhero film output as of late.  Who’m I kidding?  I have been ever since Marvel took over the movie franchise from DC with their Spider Man and X-Men films beginning in 2000.  DC has been slow to follow, but began gaining speed with The Dark Knight Trilogy.  While Superman Returns was a step backwards, they’ve since regained their footing with Man Of Steel, Batman Vs Superman, Wonder Woman and now Justice League.

I can’t wait to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi next month.  I offered to take my ex-wife along with our kids to see it, since I did the same with The Force Awakens not long after we separated. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Today at 07:32:54 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

I reckon so.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T