News: In theaters now: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Web Board Contest! (Prize to winner)  (Read 25828 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 08, 2003, 08:48:28 AM »

The Mods still have a few prizes in our lockbox to give away... a few good Eastwood books, posters and VHS tapes to choose from.  

This contest will be a scavenger hunt.  We will post a list of items from Eastwood movies.  Participants will need to go on a scavenger hunt to find pictures of these items on the 'net and will need to post these pictures along with the name of the Eastwood movie and the scene where these items are found.  Points will be awarded for each picture and scene named correctly. Images without the correct answers do not award the member any points.  At deadline time, the player with the most points wins.

The contest will run for two days and will begin tomorrow night (Monday) at 7:00 PM EST and will end Wednesday night at 7:00 PM EST.  I'm announcing it now so that any members who really want to participate know when to come to the board for the list of items to get started.  I hope we get some good participation.   :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 09:02:21 AM »

I'd better post instructions for how to post images on the board!

When you find a picture on the 'net (Google Image Search is a big help), go to the picture and right click on it.  Then click on "properties".  The URL for that image will come up.  It should end in either .jpg or .gif.  Block and copy that complete URL and insert it between these tags:  [ img] [ /img]  (Only there will not be any spaces inside the brackets, I'm only putting them in so that the tags appear in this post.)  Here's what your tag for an image will look like:

[ img]http://www.sci.fi/~ivanoff/starwave.jpg[ /img]

And here's the image when there's no space in the tags:

Unfortunately, some sites do not allow direct linking of images to message boards (Geocities and Tripod are two of these sites).  If you've done everything right and the picture does not appear, then you'll need to find a different picture on a different site.  You can use the "Preview" button before posting to make sure the site will allow the picture to be posted here.  If you don't see the image in your preview, then either you've done something wrong, or the site doesn't allow it.

Any questions?  Anyone who has never posted an image before can practice here ahead of time.  

One more thing I should mention... we do ship overseas, so all members who want to participate are welcome!  :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 09:13:08 AM by Matt » Logged
the stranger

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 11:17:47 AM »

Howdy Matt,
A question.
What would be stopping people with their own web space simply scanning a picture from a book or a screen capture, and posting it on their web space and using it..
Is this a dumb question, or am I missing something Bruv ???
oh and ..
What's in the bag man?
Dirty Harry 1971
-Stranger-

When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2003, 11:27:26 AM »

Hi Stranger,

Nothing's stopping anyone from doing that.  If they want to do that, they'd still have to find a picture of the item to scan, so it's still a good scavenger hunt.  No problem with that at all.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2003, 11:40:02 AM »

oh and ..
What's in the bag man?
Dirty Harry 1971
-Stranger-

You ask the tough questions!

Well, we have just about every Eastwood movie on VHS, for those members who haven't got a full collection yet and don't mind VHS.

We've got Schickel's book, and the fantastic "Malpaso" book by Fuensanta Plaza.  

There's a few posters here too... originals and reprints.  I hope you don't want a list of those... I'd have to go through a bunch to see what's here first.  
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2003, 12:16:12 PM »

We overseas people have to get up for work in the mornings (although I try not to)

Is that midnight UK time?

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2003, 12:18:33 PM »

Yup, that's right... it would be midnight for you, Philo.

I'm having the contest run for two days so that everyone should have time to check the board and look around and post with 48 hours, no matter what the hour of the start or finish.  
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2003, 12:28:02 PM »

:-X Wake me up, I must be sleeping.

I just realized that if a member posts an answer, obviously everyone else would have the answer!  NOT GOOD.

So... instead of posting on the board, the only way of doing this that I can think of... would be to IM me your post.  It works exactly the same, it'll just go to me and not onto the board for everyone to see.  When I get your IM, I will post the # of points and the name of the member on the board so everyone can see how the competition is going.  You can send me as many IM's as you want in that 48 hour period.  When the deadline arrives, I can copy the IM's and post them here in the thread, in the order received.

Sorry for the brain freeze.... but I hope this will make things run smooooothly now.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 12:36:31 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 04:00:47 PM »

Hope y'all are ready for the scavenger hunt!  KC, mgk and I put together a list of items below that can be found in Eastwood's films, except for a few "mentioned only" items on the list which are clearly marked.  The "mentioned only" items are to be found in the dialogue of the film, but not seen.  (An example would be "Sunflowers" which could be found in The Outlaw Josey Wales when Josey says:  "There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-b*[email protected]")

We tried to pick items that were only seen or mentioned in ONE Eastwood film.  There are a few on the list that were in more than one film, so we narrowed down the possibilities with additional information provided next to the item so that it should pertain to only one film.  There is always the possibility that an item is in more than one Eastwood film and it got past all three of us... if that's the case, and you mention a movie that the item is in that isn't the one we're thinking of... that's fine, so long as we can find it. No extra points for finding additional movies. :)

There are 50 items on this list.  For each item, you will need to provide:  an image, the name of the movie it's found in, and a very brief description of the scene it was in.  

For example, I'll go back to the sunflowers.  If that were on the scavenger list, find a picture of a sunflower (or sunflowers) and send it along with the following: "Movie:  The Outlaw Josey Wales.  This item is mentioned by Josey to Laura Lee in their bedroom scene."  More details wouldn't be necessary.

For every correct answer, a member will get a point for the picture, and a point for the correct information about the film and scene.  Every answer must be accompanied by a picture, or it will not be awarded any points.  Pictures with the wrong information will not be awarded any points either.  A perfect score is 100 points.

Most important of all...  DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS AND IMAGES ON THE BOARD!  You will need to IM me with your post.  The IM feature works exactly like the post feature on the board.  You can (and should) use the Preview button to see your IM before sending it to me to make sure you have the image URLs typed in properly and that they're showing up.  If you have any problems posting images, look at the second post of this thread for information that should answer any questions.

The contest will run for exactly 48 hours, and will end at 7:00 PM EST on Wednesday, June 11th.   I will post the number of points and the members' names when I receive the IM's so that everyone can see how the competition is going.  When the contest concludes, I will be copying the IM's and posting them here on the board.

Here's the list of items.  Ready.... set..... go!

LIST OF ITEMS

Iodine

Silver tea set - seen in a bedroom

Champagne corks

Pile of blankets

Razor - not seen in a barber shop

Razor blade - also not seen in a barber shop

Sock (mentioned only)

Krispy Kreme donuts

Toaster

Ladies' bicycle

Ice cream cones (NOT cups)

A baseball

Sewing machine

Grits

Heart tattoo

Garage door opener

Nail clippers

Popcorn

Rodeo clown

Cymbal

1968 Ford Galaxie 500

A-1 steak sauce

Hawk (mentioned only)

Michelin Green Guide

Rosary

Tennis ball

Tissue

Tooth

Chewing tobacco

Dozen red roses

RC Cola

Ferret

Hammer

German shepherd dog

Oreo cookies

Snickers bar

Black umbrella

Accordion

Director's chair

John Deere tractor

Grandfather clock

One dime

Buffalo nickel (mentioned only)

Lucky Strikes cigarettes

Brown briefcase - carried by Eastwood

Shovel

Suit of armor

Congressional Medal of Honor

Shetland pony (mentioned only)

Bowling ball
« Last Edit: June 09, 2003, 04:25:53 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 06:01:12 PM »

Here's the results so far:

Philo: 80 points
Christopher: 58 points
AKA23: 42 points
Lilly: 36 points

« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 04:05:13 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2003, 06:26:15 PM »

Just a note... I'll be updating the above message as the contest wears on rather than making a new post with every IM I receive.  So just keep checking above for where the members stand in the contest.

Also, I'm going to lock this thread, just to make sure that someone doesn't miss the part about not posting the answers here.  That would mess up the whole contest.  If anyone has any questions about the contest, IM any of the Moderators.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2003, 08:21:09 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2003, 04:38:57 AM »

These are the final hours of the contest.  If anyone still wants to participate, the contest will end tonight at 7:00 PM EST.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2003, 03:14:45 PM »

45 minutes left... and it's a tight race.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2003, 04:01:07 PM »

Time's up!  No more IM's will be counted.

Give me a few minutes to tally some last minute items... and I"ll back with the final totals.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2003, 04:12:43 PM »

Congratulations to Philo for winning the contest with 80 points.  Great work!  He found a LOT of movies that the items were in that we didn't when we were putting this list together.

Now the surprise (don't ya just love a surprise? :) )

Philo was playing this contest just for fun, and intended on passing the prize onto the runner up.  Then I had to entice him with a set of 48 35mm slides from the Which Way films if he won.   I think that may have made him work even harder!  ;D

Since Philo was being so generous and kind to do all this work and pass up the prize, we decided to not only give Philo the slides, but to also award a prize to the runner up, which is Christopher!  Congratulations to both of you!

I'll be posting the answers, and although it may take some time, I will be posting all the IM's that I received here onto the board.  

Thanks to all four of you who participated for making this fun!

Christopher, I'll be in touch off the board to go over some prizes we have in the box.  Give me a little time to finish things up here first. :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2003, 04:15:14 PM »

Ooops, that's 84 slides for the prize, not 48.  Sorry Philo, I think I went dyslexic after counting up all those points in the past hour.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2003, 04:20:16 PM »

Thanks so much to you all .

As some of my closer posters know, I have not had the best of times recently and am finding it near impossible to sleep.

Thanks to Matt, Mgk and KC for keeping my grey matter working over the last two days. This contest certainly has helped .

Philo .  

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2003, 04:31:39 PM »

I'll have to make two posts for the answers, since they won't all fit in one post.  Here's the first 25 answers:

Iodine (Film: Bird; scene: Swallowed by Charlie Parker when he tries to commit suicide.)

Silver tea set - seen in a bedroom (Film: Hang 'em  High; scene: Jennifer brings breakfast to Jed at Peaches Sophie's establishment.)

Champagne corks (Film: Play Misty for Me; scene: used to play Cry Bastion by Murphy and Dave in the bar.)

Pile of blankets (Film High Plains Drifter; scene: In the general store, Stranger forces the mayor to allow the Indian family to help themselves to a pile of blankets--no charge.)

Razor-not seen in a barber shop (Film: Unforgiven; scene: Munny shaves before heading out to Big Whiskey)

Razor blade-also not seen in a barber shop (Film: The Rookie; scene: Liesl holds it up to Pulovski in the rape scene)

Sock-mentioned only (Film: Space Cowboys; scene: Corvin tells Ethan to "Put a sock in it, Sonny."  Second film found by Christopher: The Beguiled; scene: McBurney says to Carol:  "I've just been thinking about all the advantages that a one legged man has. He saves on socks..." It's plural in this scene, but I think it's close enough for the points.)

Krispy Kreme donuts (Film: Blood Work; scene: McCaleb brings a box to the police station when he talks to Arrango and Waller.)

Toaster (Film: The Bridges of Madison County; scene: The breakfast scene when Francesca makes eggs and toast for Robert.)

Ladies bicycle (Film: Sudden Impact, scene: Jennifer is riding a ladies bicycle when she runs into Callahan and Meathead on the sidewalk.)

Ice cream cones (NOT cups) (Film: Thunderbolt and Lightfoot; scene: Thunderbolt and Lightfoot stop at a ice cream truck for some ice cream cones, and are still eating them when Red and Goodie show up in the back seat of their car. Another film found by Philo: Pink Cadillac, Tommy and Lou Ann have some ice cream cones together.)

A baseball (Film: True Crime, Alan Mann tosses a baseball in the air as Everett and Findley go at it.)

Sewing machine (Film: Bronco Billy; The patients in the sanitarium sew together an American Flag tent for Bronco Billy.)

Grits (Film: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil; scene: John Kelso has some grits in a diner in the scene when he first sees Luther Driggers )

Heart tattoo (Film: Tightrope; scene: "Looking for Love" heart tattoo is seen on the prostitute who is killed in the hot tub.)

Garage door opener (Film: Space Cowboys; scene: Corvin, caught being frisky with his wife in the garage by Ethan who opens the garage door using the garage door opener from Corvin's truck.)

Nail clippers (Film: Escape from Alcatraz; scene: throughout film, first seen in the warden's office, and is stolen by Morris and used to help break out of his cell.)

Popcorn (Film: City Heat; scene: Addy munches on a box of popcorn when at a fight with Speer.  Second film found by Philo: Bronco Billy; John Arlington eats popcorn while watching Bronco Billy's Wild West show.)

Rodeo clown (Film: Pink Cadillac; scene: Tommy Nowak dresses as a rodeo clown to nab a bail jumper.)

Cymbal (Film: Bird; scene: The flying cymbal is seen throughout the film, the original significance of it is that when Parker first performed on stage, the drummer thought he was so bad he took his cymbal of the stand and hurled it at him.)

1968 Ford Galaxie 500 (Film: Dirty Harry; scene: throughout film.  This is Harry's car.)

A-1 steak sauce (Film: True Crime; scene: this is what Frank Beachum went to the corner store to get when Amy was killed.)

Hawk-mentioned only (Film: Unforgiven; scene:  To test The Kid's eyesight, Ned tells him to shoot the hawk, only there is no hawk... "The kid's blind.")

Michelin Green Guide (Film: Kelly's Heroes; scene: Crapgame pulls out the Michelin Guide to help find a suitable hotel for Big Joe in Nancy.)

Rosary (Film: Two Mules for Sister Sara; scene: Sara wears the rosary necklace and uses the crucifix from it to ward off the Indians that speared Hogan with the arrow)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2003, 04:43:57 PM »

Here's where to find the rest of the scavenger hunt items:

Tennis ball (Film: Tightrope; scene: tennis balls are used for a man's private parts when Beryl is teaching self defense in her rape center, and Wes catches one and brings it to her office, where he hangs around and "acts tacky" ;))

Tissue (Film: In the Line of Fire; scene: On Air Force One, Lilly hands Frank a tissue to blow his nose when he has the flu.  Second film found by Philo: True Crime; Everett uses a tissue to wipe the ashtray clean after sleeping with Bob's wife.)

Tooth (Film: Dirty Harry; scene: delivered by Scorpio to the police to prove he has Ann Mary Deacon.)

Chewing tobacco (Film: The Outlaw Josey Wales; scene: seen throughout as Josey spits chewing tobacco on numerous unfortunate objects.  Second film found by Philo: Hang 'em High; one of the last requests for one of the men at the six men hanging is some chewing tobacco.)

Dozen red roses (Film: The Gauntlet; scene: Given to Gus by Shockley at the motel in Wickenburg.)

RC Cola (Film: A Perfect World; scene: Drank by Phillip and Butch.  Phillip drank so much that it caused a dangerous delay when Butch was trying to steal the farmer's car.)

Ferret (Film: Any Which Way You Can; scene: odds are placed on a fight between a ferret and a snake.  Which do you think won? ;))

Hammer (Film: Unforgiven; scene: Little Bill is seen hammering the roof of his house when Skinny comes to tell him about Strawberry Alice and the other whores hiring a killer.  Second film found by Christopher: A Fistful of Dollars; scene: Joe is seen hammering the metal plate in the cave.  Third film found by Philo and AKA in Pale Rider; scene: used by Hull and Preacher to break the boulder and then used on Club.  This is actually a sledgehammer, but a sledgehammer IS a hammer, so we're accepting it.)

German shepherd dog (Film: In the Line of Fire; scene: owned by the bank worker, Pam Magnus, and is seen when Leary enters the home and kills her and her roomate.  Second film found by Christopher: Hang 'em High; scene: the dog that is killed in the crossfire in the final shootout scene.  We're not exactly sure what kind of dog it is, but it looks like it could be a German shepherd, so the points are awarded.)

Oreo cookies (Film: Every Which Way But Loose; scene: Clyde loves Ma's Oreos...one winds up in the sheets of the makeshift bed where Philo and Lynn sleep.)

Snickers bar (Film: True Crime; scene: Alan Mann eats a Snickers bar when Everett tells him he knows who killed Amy Wilson.)

Black umbrella (Film: Absolute Power; scene: held by Luther Whitney as he stands in the rain after telling Walter Sullivan that it was Richmond's men who killed Christy.)

Accordion (Film: Escape from Alcatraz; scene: Morris learns to play the accordion so that he can use the case to hide the hole he digs in his cell.)

Director's chair (Film: White Hunter, Black Heart; scene: The final scene, Wilson sits down in the director's chair after returning from the elephant hunt where Kivu was killed.)

John Deere tractor (Film: The Bridges of Madison County; scene: Francesca is driving a John Deere tractor when she gets the call from Robert about meeting each other later that day.  Second film found by Philo: A Perfect World; scene: a farmer is driving a John Deere tractor when Butch takes off with his clothes and his car.)

Grandfather clock (Film: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil; scene: this is in the hall and is pushed to the ground by Billy Hanson at Jim Williams's party.  Second film found by Philo: The Beguiled; scene: There is a grandfather clock in the hall outside of McBurney's room.)

One dime (Film: Bronco Billy; scene: This is what Antoinette Lilly keeps asking for so she can make a phone call after being deserted and robbed by her new husband, John Arlington.  Another film found by Lilly and Christopher is Escape from Alcatraz; scene: melted by Morris and used as solder to make a better digging tool.)

Buffalo nickel - mentioned only (Film: Thunderbolt and Lightfoot; scene: Mentioned by the gas station attendant as he complains about the changing times. "That ain't it!" ;))

Lucky Strikes cigarettes (Film: A Perfect World; scene: Butch's brand of cigarettes, and he purchases some just before killing Pugh.)

Brown briefcase - carried by Eastwood (Film: Coogan's Bluff; scene: Coogan carries a brown briefcase and is charged by the taxi driver who considers it luggage, then is charged at the hotel for not having luggage.  Another film found by Philo: Firefox; scene: Gant carries a brown briefcase when he is searched at the airport.  Philo also suggested that Kelly may have had one to carry the gold in Kelly's Heroes, but since his first answer was right, we didn't look this one up.  Another film found by Christopher: The Eiger Sanction; scene: Hemlock carries a briefcase when leaving the classroom and going to his office.  I can't tell the color of the briefcase after looking at it a few times, but I think it's good for the points.)

Shovel (Film The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; scene: used by Tuco to dig up the gold.  A second film found by AKA is Pale Rider and is used by the men to dig for gold.)

Suit of armor (Film: A Fistful of Dollars; scene: Belongs to Ramón for target practice.)

Congressional Medal of Honor (Film: Heartbreak Ridge; scene: Gunny was awarded this medal for his bravery at Heartbreak Ridge and wears it to the formal dance.)

Shetland pony-mentioned only (Film: The Enforcer, scene: at the oral examining board, Callahan wants to know what law would be broken if Mrs. Grey were to proposition him "that for five dollars she'd put on an exhibition with a Shetland pony.")

Bowling ball (Film: Every Which Way But Loose; scene: Lynn Halsey-Taylor is bowling as she's dreaming of becoming the next big country act after Ronstadt and Parton.)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2003, 05:41:35 PM »

Here come the IM's I received in the order I received them.  I may include more than one IM per post:

(June 9th at 08:23:48pm) Christopher has sent you the following Instant Message:

I'll get a few of these started:

Pile of Blankets. Movie: High Plains Drifter. The Stranger gives the Indian a pile of blankets in the store - "no charge."

Krispy Kreme Donuts. Movie: Blood Work. Terry brings the cops a box of donuts and tries to get their help in his investigation.

Ice Cream Cones. Movie: Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. The title charcters buy some while they're in search of the one room school house.

Tooth. Movie: Dirty Harry. Comes in a box sent by Scorpio to prove he has the missing girl.

Chewing Tobacco. Movie: The Outlaw Josey Wales. Josey chews and spits throughout the movie.

I don't know how many images are allowed in a post, so I'll continue in another message.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 07:38:23 PM by Matt » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T