News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Manchurian Candidate (1962) vs The Manchurian Candidate (2004)  (Read 1579 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« on: January 17, 2017, 01:33:58 AM »

This is the place to post about The Manchurian Candidate (1962) and the remake The Manchurian Candidate (2004)  Tell us what you think of the films as you watch them, or wait until after Week 8 to do a comparison. Which do you like better? Strengths, weaknesses, or just talk about anything you want.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:18:07 PM »

We've just moved this back a couple of weeks. We'll start this week on January 30th with the original The Manchurian Candidate.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 07:10:26 PM »

Wow, I just realized we missed this week, even though we pushed it back. Has anyone gotten to The Manchurian Candidate (1962) yet? This is a great one. I though Frank Sinatra did a great job, and more than holds his own as an actor (as opposed to a musician trying to act). He's also great in The Man with the Golden Arm (1955) too. Growing up in Jersey, Frank was one of our own, and he was mainly known as a singer (and some would say the best ever). Wow, I just remembered that one of my last conversations with my mom was about Frank Sinatra. I was asking her and my father about the singers and bands they'd seen perform live "back in the day", and asked about Frank. Mom makes a face "I never liked him". Okay, that doesn't prove my point at all -- but she was in the minority. Most Jersey residents back in the day were huge Sinatra fans. So I was just looking through his IMDb Filmography as an Actor, and he's done so much more than I would have thought.

In any case, I'm rambling, but does anyone mind? THE BOARD IS SO SLOW.  Anyway,  :D  Back on point, this is a great movie, and I recommended this week's theme because I think everyone will enjoy it. So, if you're still struggling through Samurai and the Tame West, it might just be time to hang it up and move on.

Time to watch some GOOD movies... the ones I recommend.  ;D

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 09:09:07 PM »

I haven't gotten around to these two films yet. I have them both on DVD. I always remember reading about the 1962 version disappearing after the JFK assassination by Frank Sinatra. It didn't reappear till the late 1980's when it was re released.

According to Wikipedia, that was just a rumor though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manchurian_Candidate_(1962_film)#Releases

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »

I saw the original long ago, but haven't seen the remake. I'm wondering how it is that Denzel Washington has ended up doing so many remakes!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:52:41 PM »

I always remember reading about the 1962 version disappearing after the JFK assassination by Frank Sinatra.

I'm so glad you provided a link. I was struck by the fact that Frank Sinatra assassinated JFK and couldn't figure out what was going on until I read the link!  ;D
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 11:06:36 PM »

Whoops, didn't even realise what I wrote. :D

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 11:40:33 PM »

I just finished up two days worth of number crunching for tax season... and I'm pretty much done with it! Time to relax and treat myself to a movie, and tonight -- it's The Manchurian Candidate (1962).  :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks of Janet Leigh's character (and her dialogue) and Angela Lansbury's performance. If you're not watching it yet, get to it. It's great!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 06:30:38 AM »

I'm so glad you provided a link. I was struck by the fact that Frank Sinatra assassinated JFK and couldn't figure out what was going on until I read the link!  ;D
You could have been an English teacher! ;D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 11:07:41 AM »

You could have been an English teacher! ;D

Far far from that! But, it was one of the most entertaining poorly constructed sentences ever. Had to say something. Sorry, SK!  ;D
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 01:30:49 PM »

Far far from that! But, it was one of the most entertaining poorly constructed sentences ever. Had to say something. Sorry, SK!  ;D

I like to bring entertainment to the board anyway I can. 8)

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 03:37:45 PM »

The original is great. I remember I read the book years ago before seeing the film and I kept picturing Frank Sinatra as Raymond Shaw. It was such a shock when I saw the film and the main star was Laurence Harvey. This was before the internet and IMDB so I thought, since Sinatra was a huge name, he'd be the star. It actually put me off reading books before seeing a film after that.

Angela Lansbury is brilliant as the manipulative mother, even her husband is scared of her. I kept thinking she's a real puppet master and I had to laugh in one scene, driving past a cinema, with Pinocchio up on the billboard.

Did I miss a scene between Janet Leigh's character meeting Ben (Sinatra) on the train and the next one where she gets Ben from the police station? From those two scenes, in the next one she tells Ben that she's left her fiancÚ!! I didn't quite get that. I may have to re watch it again.

Did you notice Ferris Webster edited this film as well?

The last few minutes of this when you watch it the first time is real white knuckle stuff, wondering how it's going to end.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 07:09:06 PM »

Did I miss a scene between Janet Leigh's character meeting Ben (Sinatra) on the train and the next one where she gets Ben from the police station? From those two scenes, in the next one she tells Ben that she's left her fiancÚ!! I didn't quite get that. I may have to re watch it again.

What did you think of Janet Leigh being one of the original Chinese workmen that laid the railroad tracks they were riding on?  ;D

I've tried to figure her out, too. She either is just adding to the surrealistic feel of the film, or a rumor I read online is true -- that the producers wanted a love interest for Frank Sinatra and the writer didn't want to do that, so wrote it so poorly they hoped the scenes would end up on the cutting room floor.  If anyone knows for sure, would love to know. The whole film makes sense, but that character is freakin' nuts.

Did you notice Ferris Webster edited this film as well?

This time, I did! I hadn't the first time I watched it.

The last few minutes of this when you watch it the first time is real white knuckle stuff, wondering how it's going to end.

Yeah, there's a good, mounting tension here. What did you think of the scene with his wife and father-in-law (toward the end)?

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 12:21:28 AM »

What did you think of Janet Leigh being one of the original Chinese workmen that laid the railroad tracks they were riding on?  ;D

I've tried to figure her out, too. She either is just adding to the surrealistic feel of the film, or a rumor I read online is true -- that the producers wanted a love interest for Frank Sinatra and the writer didn't want to do that, so wrote it so poorly they hoped the scenes would end up on the cutting room floor.  If anyone knows for sure, would love to know. The whole film makes sense, but that character is freakin' nuts.

I hate to quote myself, but I'm answering my own question.  This was a rewatch for me, so I'd forgotten what I thought the first time I'd watched it, which is that her strange dialogue and "availability" are to make you question if she's one of the operatives that have brainwashed him.

And I only just remembered that because I watched the remake tonight, which I really like! It's not a monumental film, and it will probably never be a classic, but it's highly entertaining. The writers did a great job of modernizing the story, and even making the film name make sense with the plot when the operatives aren't from communist China this time. There are a lot of other things I look forward to discussing about the plot, but I don't want to spoil it. I'll wait until others have had time to see it.

It's another strong cast, with Meryl Streep taking over Angela Lansbery's role, Liev Shreiber in Laurence Harvey's role, and of course Denzel Washington taking over for Ol' Blue Eyes. Meryl is typically awesome as the corrupt corporate politician that's smooth as silk, with her big famous smile on stage, and evil dictator behind closed doors. She's perfect.

I think Liev is better than Laurence Harvey, but I might be alone on that. I almost laughed when Laurence Harvey was giving his monologue about how "lovable it all was. She was lovable... I was lovable."  Liev seems to be more realistic.

As for Denzel, I think he's usually great, but I was getting a little bored with his mumbling "sleep-walking" performance, but that was part of his character, and we learn why later in the story. So, he did a fine job with it. Frank was better, I think.

And between Angela Lansberry and Meryl Streep, well... toss a coin, because I couldn't tell you who was better.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:54:37 AM by Matt » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 03:55:23 AM »

What did you think of the scene with his wife and father-in-law (toward the end)?

That was a little weird as well. I can't quite remember the exact dialogue but it was something like,

"What's that in your hand, Raymond?"

"A gun"

"Why do you have a gun?"

Bang, he shoots his father in law and walks up to put another bullet in his head when Raymond's wife comes down the stairs and doesn't scream but says, "Raymond no!"

It just wasn't very convincing acting to me.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 10:13:34 AM »

I'm wondering how it is that Denzel Washington has ended up doing so many remakes!

Apparently, he's not the only one:

What is it with Colin Farrell and remakes?  Fright Night, Total Recall and now The Beguiled.  :o

Maybe Washington and Farrell should do a remake together! :D
TWOMULES

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »

Maybe Washington and Farrell should do a remake together! :D

After hearing this news, the look on their faces is priceless! :D

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »

After hearing this news, the look on their faces is priceless! :D

;D
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »

I'd forgotten what I thought the first time I'd watched it, which is that her strange dialogue and "availability" are to make you question if she's one of the operatives that have brainwashed him.

I think she was just a love interest for Sinatra. I re watched this film today and all of the scenes Janet Leigh were in could have easily been left on the cutting room floor and the film wouldn't have lost anything. The role didn't add anything to the film.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T