News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 Academy Awards  (Read 7821 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« on: January 25, 2017, 07:14:17 PM »

The nominees have been announced and only one nod for Sully! :(

Here's the thread for all predictions, news etc. until the big night on February 26.

The full list of nominees is here - http://oscar.go.com/nominees

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 07:47:03 PM »

I haven't seen many of the movies. In fact I've only seen two of the Best Picture nominees (Arrival and Hell or High Water), but there are a few others I'd like to see.

I will root for Jeff Bridges for best supporting actor though.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:26:02 AM »

I haven't seen most of the contenders but I have seen La La Land. I'm pretty confident in saying that I think Emma Stone will get her Oscar. I love me some baby goose as well but I'm not sure if they'll give him one. Though he does have The Nice Guys going for him as well since he was good in that.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »

I've seen all but two of the Best Picture contenders. I did not see "Moonlight" or "Hacksaw Ridge." I wasncl surprised Amy Adams was not nominated for "Arrival," since it was nominated for many Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director, and she was most responsible for the success of that movie as the whole film was centered around her character.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 12:20:30 AM »

Amy Adams was fantastic in Nocturnal Animals and Arrival.

I'm pretty confident in saying that Denzel has locked up his third Oscar. He took the SAG award tonight and as much as Casey Affleck was in the lead, I bet Denzel just shot out front.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 07:00:24 AM »

Denzel Washington deserves Best Actor. His performance in "Fences" was one of the best I've ever seen in any movie. Although worth seeing and thought provoking at times, I felt the movie was not as successful as the performances. It felt like they took the play and transported it directly onto the screen without updating it for the medium of film.

I have not seen "Nocturnal Animals." What did you think of that, Brendan? You mentioned that Adams performance was strong, but what did you think of the movie as a whole? 
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »

I was hoping to watch the show today but I'm so busy running around I won't get a chance.

13 nominations for Aussies for Hacksaw Ridge and Lion8) 8) 8)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 08:10:33 PM »

I'm DVRing it, mainly because I'm curious about any political comments that might get made. I don't think I've seen a single Best Picture nominee.

I just got in, so I guess I'll play the beginning of it.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 10:18:52 PM »

Was really nobody watching? Has to be the most bizarre ending of an awards show ever ... if you don't count Miss Universe as an awards show! :o
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 12:38:41 AM »

Russians hacked it ?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 12:41:21 AM »

Who was to blame for it. I mean Beatty was handed the wrong card. He just read what was on the card. Who's responsible?  Also, I didnt know that Matt Damon and jimmy kimmell have a real feud going on. Matt Damon tried to trip kimmell and I was like was that in the script. And kimmell kept roasting Damon. They both are acting pretty immature considering there suppose to be professionals.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:42:42 AM »

I mean she read the card sorry. His partner.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 02:17:21 AM »

Also, I didnt know that Matt Damon and jimmy kimmell have a real feud going on. Matt Damon tried to trip kimmell and I was like was that in the script. And kimmell kept roasting Damon. They both are acting pretty immature considering there suppose to be professionals.

This is an ongoing spoof for laughs, a little like the old Andy Kaufman and Jerry Lawler "feud". 
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 08:05:57 AM »

I mean she read the card sorry. His partner.

You need to watch Bonnie and Clyde one of these days. ;)

Beatty handed her the card to read ... he was probably confused by the words "Best Actress in a Leading Role, Emma Stone."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 11:15:44 AM »

I didn't watch live, but I saw the full clip. How horrible that must have been for La La Land.  Mistakes don't get much bigger than that.  :(

Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »

You need to watch Bonnie and Clyde one of these days. ;)

Beatty handed her the card to read ... he was probably confused by the words "Best Actress in a Leading Role, Emma Stone."

Yes. I do. I have never seen it before. Sorry I just couldn't think of her name at the time. Faye Dunaway. I was tired and worked late the night before and just typed it quick. There both before my time but they seem like great people. And both handled the situation with class and dignity. Faye has won many awards. I think she's just a tony away from being an Egot. I like both of them.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 03:13:56 PM »

I feel so sorry for everyone involved with "La La Land." That is such a tough thing to hear that a mistake was made and that you didn't win Best Picture after all. It's good to know when mistakes are made they are corrected, so the right thing was definitely done here, and the ultimate responsibility for this rests with Price Waterhouse Cooper, but I can't really fully understand how this happened. It was clear from the video that Warren Beatty knew something was off here yet he and Faye Dunaway announced anyway. To me, "Emma Stone La La Land," should have been a pretty clear indication that a mistake was made here. "Emma Stone La La Land" does not scream this is the Best Picture announcement card to me. She was not a producer of La La Land, and her name was the focus of the card and not the name of the film or those who produced it.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »

Ok, it’s been too many years.  Hell, decades, even and these awards shows have gotten WAY outta hand!  First of all, they are tooooooo looooooong!  Cut these programs down to 1 ½ hours, tops.  For instance, The Oscars.  Just acknowledge the “best” actor, actress, supporting roles, best director and best picture.  There you have six major categories that most are interested in.  There are too many categories!  Most don't give a free-flyin’ frog’s fat f*ckin' ass who wins the Oscar for best sound, best editing, best cinematography, best screenwriting, best costume designing, best limo driver, best actors’ assistant, best food server, best gate security guard, blah blah blah!  To keep things moving, somewhere in the middle, feature the best song.  Announce the winner and have said winner come out and perform.  Oh, what's the matter, you don't perform your song because it didn't win? Stifle! Be happy it was even nominated, sit back and enjoy the ceremony! Done and done.  Second of all, change the format of acceptance speeches.  Politicial issues and others that have NOTHING to do with entertainment should not be mentioned!  It doesn’t even matter if the film is political or making some other kind of ‘statement’.  Ok, unless the comments are quick, concise and relevant.  Otherwise, what a colossal waste of time and an offense to the viewers.  If I were the host, I’d tell each and every winner, “Go up, accept your award, thank your family and co-workers, then shut the hell up and sit your ass down!”  Leave well enough alone.  Want to make any kind of statement outside the entertainment realm?  Do it elsewhere!  People are not tuning in to hear you babble on and on about your political views.  That’s not to say they don’t have legitimate concerns and or gripes, but accept your award and move on already!  Third and last of all, there are too many awards shows!  How and where in the world do all these people have time to even create movies, music and so on when they’re all attending these so-called ceremonies to pat each other on the back?!  What a waste of time, effort, energy and money. Time to tune in to some NHL hockey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Eyuh.”
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 09:11:19 PM »

Well, there are plenty of cinefiles who do care about all those categories. Screenwriter, cinematography and documentary categories interest me, and I'm not even a cinefile.  They did move about half of the categories to another night which isn't broadcast for this reason. It's just one night a year, and it's not all that long. It's the length of a baseball game.

As for the awards speeches, I may not agree politically with anything said in the speeches, but if that's what the person who wins the speech wants to talk about in their 45 seconds, they should use it however they want. They've earned it, and it's their time. They also live with the consequences of what they say.

Were there any surprising speeches this year, or any particularly political announcements? I haven't been following it very closely.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 09:49:10 PM »

Um, screenplay is a pretty darn important category. Without a screenplay, what have you got? A bunch of speechless actors standing around wondering what they're supposed to do next.

Cinematography, editing, and most of the the other categories are also pretty important to the quality of a film. I think the average moviegoer is well aware of that. But never mind all that ... if you don't like it, don't watch. There's five gadzillon channels on your TV, to say nothing of streaming services.

There is one category I'd like to see dropped altogether and that is "best song." The songs are uniformly horrible and the performances are not to be endured. Worse, a lot of perfectly respectable films get one of those horrors tacked on to the final credits, unrelated to the subject matter or the rest of the score, for absolutely no reason than a faint hope that it might get nominated for an Oscar so the studio can put a little gold man in the advertising, and scream "WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Academy Award nomination, Best Song."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T