News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unforgiven Script  (Read 252 times)
unforgetting

View Profile Email
« on: February 27, 2017, 08:32:22 PM »

Of course Unforgiven is a good movie but mainly I think for the performances. The story has inconsistencies. For Example, Why would Little Bill not want to punish the Cowboys who cut the Whore at the beginning. Completely against his character in the rest of the movie. Another is why would Munny leave his kids and travel to punish whoever the "Whore cutter" is , not even knowing where he was now? was he doing it for the 500 $ reward that was mentioned by the kid? The movie without Eastwood Hackman Harris and Freeman would just have been "another western"!
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:59:18 PM »

I think you answered your second question. And I don't agree with your response to your first question. How is it out of Little Bill's character to not want to punish the cowboys?

(I realize this thread is three months old and it's the only post from this poster :D)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »

Right, Christopher. And thanks for reviving this -- I guess I didn't notice it the first time through.

Until Skinny proved that the whores were his legal property and had a monetary value, Lil Bill didn't feel any crime had been committed - the whores had no value, less value than a horse, as Strawberry Alice would mention later.  He'd rather just let the young cowboys move on without punishment and sweep it under the rug. Skinny was the victim, as the women weren't people with rights. Skinny had rights, and Lil Bill was asked to punish the loss of value Delilah would bring to Skinny as her property. I would imagine this is a realistic view of how women prostitutes would be valued back in that era.

was he doing it for the 500 $ reward that was mentioned by the kid?

Munny had tried to provide for his children as an honest farmer, but he was failing at that.  His pig farm was doing poorly -- the pigs were coming down with "the fever" and dying off.  It wasn't an easy decision for him to make, and he hated having to do it, but he wanted to provide for his family. So of course it was for the $500.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T