News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood painting  (Read 573 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 12, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »

Not too sure where to post this or how to link to original story so help appreciated..

The painting is by well known Irish artist Basil Blackshaw who passed away last year at the age of 83.
There's to be an auction of his work and this piece was discovered in a stable on his property and will go on sale for the very first time

I kinda like it..

I guess this belongs in news ?

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
ritabarr

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 05:02:48 PM »

Interesting painting, I like it!

To want to, is to be able to.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:09:54 PM »

Here is the link to the story in the Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/fine-art-antiques/clint-eastwood-portrait-by-basil-blackshaw-found-in-stable-1.3002598

Following the death of Northern Ireland painter Basil Blackshaw last year at the age of 83, some 40 pieces of art from his studio in Co Antrim will be auctioned by Adam’s this month. It is holding a preview of the sale in the Ava Gallery on the Clandeboye Estate outside Belfast this week, which continues until Wednesday, March 15th.

The most unexpected and unlikely image in the show is a portrait of Hollywood star Clint Eastwood by Basil Blackshaw. It’s not a commissioned piece and it’s understood that the two men never met. The painting was found in a stable beneath Blackshaw’s studio when he died and has never been on the market before.

In a catalogue note the critic Eamonn Mallie said “Basil loved edge-of-the-town men, edge-of-society people, Travellers, doggie men, horsey people, drinkers, cockfighting, boxing and ‘western films’ and other films portraying hard men like Clint Eastwood”.
Portrayal

He describes the painting as a “gem” and “an outstanding portrayal of Eastwood from a great period of Basil’s output”.

Eastwood (86) is an American film star best known for his roles in “spaghetti Westerns”‘ including The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and other popular films including Play Misty For Me, Where Eagles Dare and The Bridges of Madison County.

(Interesting that the paper feels it necessary to explain who Eastwood is, and even more interesting that it sees him strictly as a "film star best known for his roles ..." and doesn't feel obliged to mention that he is also an Oscar-winning director.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T