News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unforgiven back in theaters August 6th and 9th for 25th anniversary  (Read 1093 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 10:16:10 PM »

Can't believe it's been 25 years !!

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 05:30:32 PM »

I saw it at Film Forum today, August 7, 2017, exactly 25 years to the day from its original release.

It has not lost an iota of its power.

KC - the screening that I'm going to next week also has a special short with film critic Kenneth Turan and Eastwood’s one-on-one interview at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival that delves into the history and legacy of the film.  Did your screening show this as well?

fyi - that teaser poster is on the wall above my computer.  :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 07:19:38 AM »

Nope, no extras at all at Film Forum. Drat, I'd like to see that.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 01:41:34 PM »

I've never seen Unforgiven in the theater, and they're not bringing it here for the Anniversary. :(
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »

KC - the screening that I'm going to next week also has a special short with film critic Kenneth Turan and Eastwood’s one-on-one interview at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival that delves into the history and legacy of the film.  Did your screening show this as well?
I got to see that as well after the movie went off. The strange thing is I hadn't seen anything that said that there was material after the movie. Luckily I stayed to sit through all the credits.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 10:00:37 PM »

I also stayed for all the credits! I think there was only one other person in the audience who did. Too bad, they missed "For Sergio and Don."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 10:07:52 PM »

I've never seen Unforgiven in the theater, and they're not bringing it here for the Anniversary. :(
Cmon up for the screening here at the Cinépolis Chelsea on the 18th! I may have to go again ... just in case they show the special short. But I reckon you'll be in Alaska? ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 10:18:57 PM »

Yes, I'm leaving on the 17th.  grrrrr.   :-\

Worst timed vacation ever.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 12:03:18 AM »

That short must be the same as the one that AKA linked to on this site a couple of months back, or a version of it:

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=10102.msg235582#msg235582

http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/festival/actualites/articles/a-cinema-masterclass-by-clint-eastwood

So maybe I don't need to go to the trouble of seeing it again this month! ;)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 12:12:00 AM »

A friend of mine sent me this link:

http://flavorwire.com/608956/the-rich-contradictions-of-clint-eastwoods-unforgiven

It's a good read, aside from the usual typos ("Scofield Kid") and misquotations.

The Rich Contradictions of Clint Eastwood’s ‘Unforgiven’
Clint Eastwood's final Western, 25 years old this week, remains his most complex and personal work.
Film | By Jason Bailey | August 9, 2017

The picturesque prologue that opens Clint Eastwood’s Unforgiven features a wide shot at sunset, of a silhouetted figure digging a grave – an image of dark beauty opening a movie that is decidedly not a pretty picture. Much was made, at the time of its release 25 years ago (this week) that Unforgiven was Eastwood’s farewell to the Western, a promise he’s so far kept, which must not have been easy. After all, this was an actor who’d made his name in oaters, making his name on TV’s Rawhide, catapulted to international stardom via Sergio Leone’s “Man with No Name” trilogy, and chasing those films with the likes of High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and Pale Rider.

All were released in an era when the traditional Western had already been “demystified,” not only by Leone but “New Hollywood” efforts like McCabe and Mrs. Miller and Little Big Man. But Unforgiven still comes on like a rude awakening, resolutely determined to show the genuine desperation and deprevation [sic] of the era.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »

I loved seeing it on the big screen again. It took me back 25 years and it still has all the same power.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »

45 years since Joe Kidd
FANaMillerUSNRet

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2017, 07:06:34 AM »

Unforgiven will be back in theaters for two days next month to celebrate its 25th anniversary. I was at the theater yesterday and they previewed the new series of older movies that would be shown over the next month or so, and this was the first I'd heard about it (TCM is typically the host of these movie series). I also looked around a little online but couldn't find anything official to link here. Just check around for some theaters in your area if you're interested. I definitely plan to check this out on the big screen.

Outstanding... one of Mr Eastwood's BEST westerns... Wishes the others like A Fist Full of Dollars, A Few Dollars More, Hang'm High, Pale Rider, and the Good the Bad and the Ugly would be back in theaters too... Some of the Best ones he did. If they come on or back in theaters for anniversary down here in AZ, hell I'd go see them... No problem on that... the favorite westerns I always liked.  Honorable mention,,, Paint your Wagon too... Great flicks.

Respectfully,
FA N.A Miller, USN Ret.
(Protected Veteran/Gentleman Writer)
(An avid Eastwood Fan)

P.S
Thanks Clint for your films, a great honor to meet you in person and thanks for the autograph... It hangs proudly on my wall.. You are one hell of an AWESOME actor/director...

N.M

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T