News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unforgiven back in theaters August 6th and 9th for 25th anniversary  (Read 3300 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« on: July 27, 2017, 06:52:32 AM »

Unforgiven will be back in theaters for two days next month to celebrate its 25th anniversary. I was at the theater yesterday and they previewed the new series of older movies that would be shown over the next month or so, and this was the first I'd heard about it (TCM is typically the host of these movie series). I also looked around a little online but couldn't find anything official to link here. Just check around for some theaters in your area if you're interested. I definitely plan to check this out on the big screen.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 07:12:28 AM »

Fandango shows a single New York City screening, at 7:00 on August 18. It's at the Cinépolis Chelsea, 260 W. 23rd St.:

https://www.fandango.com/unforgiven:25thanniversary_203379/movietimes
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 02:39:50 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I shall definitely try to see it at least once if not both days it's playing. I've been waiting 25 years to see it again on the big screen!

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 07:16:21 PM »

Note that it might be playing different days in different cities ... In New York, apparently only on August 18th, and only a single screening.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:47:28 PM »

It's playing the 6th and the 9th of August here. Sunday is only a 2pm showing, while Wednesday is at 2 and 7.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 05:32:15 AM »

Aug. 2 in Atlanta ...

Digitally restored in 4K for the film’s 25th Anniversary ...

https://www.landmarktheatres.com/atlanta/midtown-art-cinema/film-info/unforgiven
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 06:38:27 AM »

It's playing the 6th and the 9th of August here. Sunday is only a 2pm showing, while Wednesday is at 2 and 7.
That's what it is for me too.

I checked the Fathom Events website but couldn't even find Unforgiven listed. But at any rate, I'm glad they're showing it.
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »

the film club I belong to (we see our movies at the local Alamo theater) is showing this as a film club screening and I got my ticket already.  Can't wait to see this yet again on the big screen.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »

I'm going August 2nd to the showing in Washington DC at the Landmark E Street cinema. I've never seen "Unforgiven" in a theater!
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 04:19:57 PM »

I'm going August 2nd to the showing in Washington DC at the Landmark E Street cinema. I've never seen "Unforgiven" in a theater!

8)  8)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 04:43:57 PM »

Gene Hackman initially turned down Unforgiven,' which turns 25 on Thursday

nydailynews

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »

Used to go over to E Street Cinema all the time to see indie films when I lived closer to DC. 
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 08:41:13 PM »

I just found out that Film Forum in New York is showing it for a whole week, beginning today:

DIRECTED BY CLINT EASTWOOD

25TH ANNIVERSARY

NEW 4K RESTORATION

(1992) “We’ve all got it coming.” Wyoming, 1880. Eastwood’s widowed William Munny, hog farmer and reformed killer — even of women and children — just can’t seem to keep his kids fed. But then an aspiring gunman brings a job offer from a cathouse madam in distant Big Whiskey: $1000 to waste two drunken cowboys let off easy by Sheriff Gene Hackman (Supporting Actor Oscar) after they disfigured one of her girls. Time to bring in old killing pal Morgan Freeman, even as Richard Harris’ “English Bob” goes for that reward on his own. But there are rude awakenings in store. Eastwood held on to David Webb Peoples’ script until he was old enough for the part, then made perhaps the American cinema’s darkest, most deglamorized look back at the myth of the Old West, and at the cost of violence, as well as his starkest, most tormented personal portrait. Final credit: “Dedicated to Sergio and Don” (Leone and Siegel). 4K DCP restoration. Approx. 127 min.

A WARNER BROS. RELEASE

http://filmforum.org/film/unforgiven-film
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 08:55:14 PM »

I don't want to start a new thread just for this, but another Eastwood film is to be seen on the big screen in NYC this weekend: High Plains Drifter as part of a "weekend classics" series at IFC Center in Greenwich Village:

http://www.ifccenter.com/films/high-plains-drifter/

Just one screening a day on August 4-6, at 11:00 AM.

The New York Times noted the " unusual bit of programming synchronicity" in that this is showing the same weekend as Unforgiven:

‘HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER’ at IFC Center (Aug. 4-6) and ‘UNFORGIVEN’ at Film Forum (Aug. 4-10). In an unusual bit of programming synchronicity, IFC Center will show “High Plains Drifter” — one of Clint Eastwood’s earliest directorial efforts, in which he casts himself as an amoral stranger who agrees to defend a hapless town from outlaws — the same week that Film Forum screens a 25th-anniversary restoration of “Unforgiven,” Mr. Eastwood’s landmark revisionist western from 1992. The movie, which was named best picture at the Oscars for that year, was widely hailed as a breakthrough in Mr. Eastwood’s continuing interrogation of his macho screen persona. In “Unforgiven,” the actor plays an aging gunslinger and a reluctant mercenary who is cognizant of the fact that, for those who get killed in the West, “deserve’s got nothing to do with it.”

212-924-7771, ifccenter.com
212-727-8110, filmforum.org

topgunslinger

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »

What a missed opportunity........Metallica's   "Unforgiven"  would have been perfect to play over the end credits  (with it's western sound)  Excellent movie, excellent song.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 07:23:48 PM »

I'm afraid Metallica came up with their tune some time after Eastwood's film was released. (Perhaps the title inspired the band to dip back into film history and discover John Huston's The Unforgiven, from 1965, which is the title they borrowed for their song, not "Unforgiven.")

Also, obviously Clint would never have allowed a glaring anachronism like a rock song to deface the final credits of his masterpiece. He wrote the music himself, and I can't imagine better.

No disrespect, topgunslinger, and thanks for posting.  :)
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 02:14:29 AM »

Why don't they do these here.  :-\

Would love to see this in a theatre.

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »

I'm planning on going Wednesday afternoon.  O0 I didn't make it yesterday.

And according to the IMDb, the movie was released August 7, 1992, so today officially marks the 25th anniversary! 8)  (though an L.A. premiere was apparently August 3)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:48:18 AM by Christopher » Logged
topgunslinger

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 08:41:26 PM »

Thanks for the info  KC , I wasn't sure when the song was released,  I still think of the movie when I hear the song.    Speaking of one of my favorite Eastwood films...High Plains Drifter, I was glad to see he chose my last name for the revengeful spirit  ( no not gunslinger....Duncan :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 08:55:13 PM »

And according to the IMDb, the movie was released August 7, 1992, so today officially marks the 25th anniversary! 8)  (though an L.A. premiere was apparently August 3)

Yes ... the famous teaser poster:

I saw it at Film Forum today, August 7, 2017, exactly 25 years to the day from its original release.

It has not lost an iota of its power.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T