News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GB&U speculation?  (Read 240 times)
icnmedia

MWNN still rules!

View Profile Email
« on: October 30, 2017, 03:36:24 AM »

I saw on a Clint that the good the bad and the ugly was actually supposed to a PREqual. That would explain a few things but confuses other things.
Does anyone agree with this theory?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 06:09:06 AM »

It's a prequel by definition. It takes place during the Civil War. The others are set in a later period. There are several threads on the board where we've discussed it. I haven't got time to find them now, but will try to later on.
icnmedia

MWNN still rules!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 07:39:24 AM »

thank, I never heard or read anything about it before so it took me by surprise KC
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:44:30 PM »

Here's a couple of threads where we discussed it:

Was The Good, The Bad... a prequel?

Man with no name chronology

And my post from that last one:

The Battle of Glorieta Pass, which is alluded to in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, took place on March 28, 1862.

A Fistful of Dollars takes place no earlier than 1873 (that is the date on a grave in the cemetery scene).

For a Few Dollars More probably takes place around the same time as A Fistful of Dollars. The protagonist has the same gun, a Colt "Peacemaker" model that was introduced in 1873.

icnmedia

MWNN still rules!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 11:26:29 PM »

wow, you are so cool! Thanks, HUGz!
The Highlander

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:26:26 AM »

Remember also that Clint wears the famous poncho throughout A Fistful of Dollars & For a Few Dollars More.  But he wears a sleeveless vest throughout GBU and "discovers" the poncho in the concluding scenes of the movie and puts it on.

Thus, if we are to assume that all three movies feature the exact same character, the events of the first two films HAD to take place AFTER the events of the GBU.
icnmedia

MWNN still rules!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 02:11:10 AM »

Yes, that's just one thing...(I wonder why they did that like that?) KC knows even more little things that make this point even more! He said it was discussed before here (Posted), but I cant find it. Maybe you can , if you want to delve into it deeper.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 10:54:23 PM »

Yes, that's just one thing...(I wonder why they did that like that?) KC knows even more little things that make this point even more! He said it was discussed before here (Posted), but I cant find it. Maybe you can , if you want to delve into it deeper.

Here's one post where I talked about the poncho "discovery":

... The three films certainly were not planned as a cycle or trilogy from the beginning; but since A Fistful of Dollars was so wildly successful, it demanded first one and then a second sequel, or perhaps I should say ... successor. Since The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is set during the Civil War, if it is connected to the other two at all, it would have to be considered a "prequel," rather than a sequel, because the others both were set a decade or more after the war's close (evidenced by the weaponry in use and by the dates on the tombs in A Fistful of Dollars, among other things). 

However, about the only concrete evidence other than Eastwood's person that GBU has some connection with the other two is Eastwood's acquisition of his costume as we recall it from the first two films ... He picks it up piecemeal during the course of the film, getting much of it from Angel Eyes when he's released from the prison camp, and finally completing his "look" when he takes the poncho in the scene with the dying soldier near the end. Also, though his gun is a period-correct Navy model Colt (anachronistically modified to fire metal cartridges), it already has the silver rattlesnake ornaments on the grips that we recall from the "Peacemaker" he carries in the first two films.

KC
icnmedia

MWNN still rules!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:10:02 AM »

KC, you are soooo smart!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T