News: Now in post-production: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Plains Drifter and Sudden Impact  (Read 545 times)
bledstein

View Profile Email
« on: November 11, 2017, 10:45:25 PM »

High Plains Drifter hss a surprising amount of similarities with the Dirty Harry sequel Sudden Impact (1983) released a decade later. Not only were they both directed by and starring Clint Eastwood, but both movies have haunting flashbacks that are revenge stories. Harry gets beaten up by three men similar to the Marshall getting whipped by three men. Both movies have rape. The first time Eastwood uses his gun in the beginning of both movies, three characters are shot and killed. The climax in both movies take place where the flashbacks were with Eastwood killing the remaining villains at night. They're also the only two Clint Eastwood movies to costar actor Russ McCubbin. He plays Fred Short in High Plains Drifter (1973) and Eddie in Sudden Impact (1983).

These are my two favorites of his gun shooting movies. Find more comparisons.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 10:54:55 PM »

Hmmm ... Sudden Impact has a dog. High Plains Drifter has this great bit of dialogue:

CALLIE: I don't eat with dogs.

STRANGER: You might if it's the dog that runs the pack.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 12:48:07 AM »

They're both the fourth installation of Clint's most famous characters:  Harry Callahan, and The Man With No Name (stretching a bit on this one, since Stranger isn't the same person as MWNN, but he is a no named stranger in a western setting -- right up to the last moment on screen anyway).
bledstein

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 12:52:04 AM »

Well, that is interesting to note, but I feel he is Jim Duncan at the end. Though, it is the first time since the trilogy he played a character that wanders into town unknown to anyone.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:23:48 AM »

In Sudden Impact, he also wanders into a town, unknown to the locals, and leaves after (helping to) avenge a crime whose perpetrators had escaped justice.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 08:00:29 AM »

Never thought of connecting these two films before.. One of my fave Clint movies and one of my least faves....

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T