News: See Eastwood's latest, THE 15:17 TO PARIS, coming on DVD May 22!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many Eastwood movies of his acting career have you enjoyed?  (Read 751 times)
bledstein

View Profile Email
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:46:10 PM »

Of the over 40 Eastwood movies as an actor I've watched, I only enjoyed 17. Ten of those he also directed and seven he just acted. I seem to enjoy his directing more than his acting, but ironically, he is still a good actor. Some of his movies drag because of story and pacing issues or sometimes he's a better actor than his costars. How many have you guys enjoyed?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:34:58 PM by bledstein » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »

On one level or another, I've enjoyed all of them. When you're a fan, you find things in someone's lesser efforts that shed light on other areas of his career, or maybe they just set you thinking about why he wanted to do this particular film or what went wrong (story, acting, direction, etc.).

I think of all films Clint both directed and acted in, the only one I really dislike is The Rookie. Of his acting-only roles, the ones I've liked least, in chronological order, are Paint Your Wagon, Joe Kidd, the Which Way movies, City Heat and Pink Cadillac. Even these mostly have a few scenes I enjoy. Among the rest, there are a few that wouldn't score high on my all-time top ten, but I could certainly say I enjoyed them, if only for Clint's presence.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:22:01 PM by KC » Logged
bledstein

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »

The Which Way movies are a couple of the worst I've ever seen. I deliberately didn't see City Heat and Pink Cadillac since nothing looks good about them. Joe Kidd is my least favorite Eastwood Western.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »

City Heat actually has some good music, though. And some of the lighter scenes are enjoyable.

I agree with you about Joe Kidd, it is the least among the Eastwood Westerns.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 12:55:04 AM »

I agree with KC... Apart from the "Which Way" films which I quite enjoy (mainly the first one which has a light and breezy quality and feels very 70's in its style)

I can usually find something I like in nearly all his movies... Rookie, Kidd, Cadillac, City Heat and Wagon being the exceptions, I never return to those few and I find Clint's take on the womanising journalist in True Crime a miss-step  and unconvincing, although there are other aspects of the film I enjoy..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:28:49 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 08:13:43 AM »

I've enjoyed all of them. Perhaps some more than other .His presence is dominating.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »

I enjoy all of them for some reason or another. That's not to say I think they are all stellar movies. But I've liked Eastwood since I was a kid, so I always liked seeing him in whatever.
PeterD

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 09:36:29 PM »

From memory. The Beguiled was the only one I didn't enjoy.

The rest of his films while some being way better than others, all had something of merit in them.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 10:18:30 AM »

bledstein, I'd be curious to see your list of the 17 you enjoyed! :)
bledstein

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 12:35:02 PM »

By the request for KC, here are the Eastwood movies as an actor I enjoyed from favorite to still good. I also enjoy some of the movies he just directed, but this list doesn't include those.

1. Million Dollar Baby
  2. A Perfect World
  3. Sudden Impact
  4. High Plains Drifter
  5. Absolute Power
  6. The Dead Pool
  7. In the Line of Fire
  8. Outlaw Josey Wales
  9. Gran Torino
10. Unforgiven
11. Magnum Force
12. Two Mules For Sister Sara
13. Good, the Bad and the Ugly
14. Dirty Harry
15. White Hunter Black Heart
16. Space Cowboys
17. Trouble With The Curve
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 06:51:39 PM »

Thanks, that's an interesting list.

I think the real surprise for me on it is that you have The Dead Pool at #6, meaning, it seems, that it's your second favorite among the Dirty Harry films after Sudden Impact ... and the original Dirty Harry itself ranks lowest (except for The Enforcer, which didn't make your list). For me, at least, Dirty Harry would rank tops among the five by quite a long way, and The Dead Pool would come in pretty far at the end of the list, with the other three in varying orders depending on my mood.
bledstein

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 11:32:07 PM »

The Enforcer is my least favorite of the series since it had the flatest villains and story. We don't get much personality from the characters except Tyne Daly's.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 11:50:28 PM »

I've enjoyed all of them. Perhaps some more than other .His presence is dominating.

Agree 100%.  :)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 05:57:47 PM »

I agree I like all of clints movies to some degree or another.  Like KC said even his weaker movies or ones you dont like that much theres always a scene or two that makes it enjoyable.  I try to enjoy the little parts and scenes of his weaker movies. I actually enjoy the which way movies.  Just my opinion.  And like others have said some movies are better than others.  So the degree of enjoyment will vary.  But movies like Unforgiven, GBU, Dirty Harry, I enjoy those start to finish.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 05:36:26 PM »

This is an interesting topic for a thread. I would echo KC's comments, and her list of the movies that she enjoyed least is pretty similar to mine. I also don't really enjoy "The Beguiled," but I hesitate to include that because quality-wise it's not a bad movie and is a pretty daring and unique role for Eastwood. After all, it did spawn a remake decades after it was first made, so it can't be all bad!

The movie I probably dislike the most is probably "Paint Your Wagon," as I've never been a fan of musicals and I feel it has quite an odd story. That was definitely the film that I had the most difficulty getting through when doing The Eastwood Challenge.

The next least liked film is probably "The Rookie," but even in that film, there are scenes that I find kind of amusing. I like the beginning scene where Eastwood's character shoots and says that he's the tooth fairy, and I like the concluding scene where he has become the boss and it kind of parallels the partner scene with him and Charlie Sheen from earlier in the film.

There are many movies that are not among my favorites that Eastwood's done, but I almost always enjoy Eastwood's performance. He frequently has some cool scenes or memorable lines that as a fan I appreciate, and that's true even with his least enjoyable efforts.

Of the movies that you don't enjoy, bledstein, what is it about them that prevents you from enjoying them? As an Eastwood fan, don't you appreciate Eastwood's performance? Are there some films where you feel his performance was poor or is it the plots of the films that you dislike?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 10:28:00 PM »

If bledstein comes back, I'd like to know how A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More didn't make the list. They're just so great, and he enjoyed GBU.

Clint's comedy films just don't resonate with me. The only one I really like is Bronco Billy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T