News: In theaters December 14: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Burt Reynolds RIP  (Read 621 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: September 06, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »

Burt Reynolds, Star of ‘Deliverance,’ ‘Smokey and the Bandit,’ Dies at 82

Rest In Peace, sir.  God Bless. 🙏😢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »

So sad.

RIP

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »

Sorry to hear about Reynolds who certainly had a long time friendship with Eastwood that covered probably 65 years. I always felt that Reynolds career floundered eventually was due to doing too many of those silly movies which in the beginning made him a box office star. I just never thought he challenged himself as an actor enough unlike Eastwood. In the long run though I think Reynolds had a good time all through it and relistically that's what its about in life. I'm not going to judge that... He was a good guy though...
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 05:23:12 PM »

I’m not really familiar with his work. For those of you that are fans, what are his best films and performances?
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 08:33:55 PM »

AKA,  If you were going to watch any movie it would probably be Deliverance from 1972. Extremely disturbing and well acted movie about a canoe trip that goes wrong. Great ensemble cast with Jon Voight and Ned Beatty and an unforgettable Bill Mckinney in one of the most scariest roles that still haunts 46 years later.....
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 11:28:22 PM »

AKA, I don't really recommend his one film with Clint ... City Heat. ;)

Here is a link to the New York Times obituary. City Heat is mentioned briefly in connection with the on-set accident that led to Reynolds' becoming addicted to Halcion:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/06/obituaries/burt-reynolds-dead.html

And more coverage from the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/06/movies/burt-reynolds-movies-career.html

On the notorious Cosmopolitan centerfold:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/06/style/burt-reynolds-dead-cosmopolitan.html

R.I.P.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »

AKA, I don't really recommend his one film with Clint ... City Heat

Now THAT one, I have seen, and I wouldn’t recommend it either. I’m hoping that’s not the best that Burt Reynolds has to offer.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 11:44:41 PM »

I think Deliverance is easily his best film.. It's his only movie that interests me..
I'm not a fan of his other work but he seems like he was a nice guy and for a while a big star...
It's a shame his  pairing with Clint in City Heat didn't really work..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 03:20:11 PM »

The Longest Yard and Starting Over were good movies that are worthy, but Reynolds really did a magnitude of crappy films. A lot of people liked Sharky's Machine... Reynolds box office appeal plummeted by the mid 80's....City Heat was ridiculous.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 07:28:50 PM »

Yes very sad about Burt Reynolds. From what I've read he was a great person. I've never seen Deliverance before but I do want to watch it in the near future. I watched City Heat again a few nights ago and I actually enjoyed it a little more this time around then I have in the past. Like others have mentioned it's not a great movie. I just seemed to like it a little more this time around then I have in yrs past.
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 12:23:35 AM »

Sad news indeed. I was lucky enough to meet him on a couple of occasions and he was an absolute gent.

Agree with the above, although Smokey and Cannonball are great fun - Deliverance is his best. (then Boogie Nights)

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 11:31:24 AM »

One thing about Burt... He always looks like he's having an absolute ball making his movies..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 04:23:41 AM »

Yeah, I, too, would recommend Deliverance, The Longest Yard, Boogie Nights, and Smokey and the Bandit. I haven't seen The Cannonball Run probably since the 80s, so beyond it being a fun movie, I can't speak of its actual quality. I think I saw he has a credit for the upcoming Tarantino film which I think is called Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, or something like that.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
macDave

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »

I enjoyed most of Burt's work - as with all the best of them he made what he did seem ridiculously easy.

A favourite of mine is 'Semi-Tough', an American Football comedy/drama with Burt, Kris Kristofferson and Jill Clayburgh.

A very 70's movie.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 04:24:00 PM »

He did a spaghetti western called Navajo Joe too, which I remember thinking was an OK movie.
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 05:40:12 PM »

A great underrated performance and film of Burt's is Breaking In (1989). Script by John Sayles, directed by Bill Fosyth (Local Hero, Gregory's Girl). He played his age, for once. Even a bit older than he was at the time. Funny, subtle movie. Like several points in his career, I wonder if he had maybe been Oscar nominated for that performance if it might have shaped his choices better?

From all the stories I've heard while I think it is safe to say he wasn't much of a husband or boyfriend, he was very loyal and generous to his friends, in and out of the business. And he certainly enjoyed being a movie star.

My favorites would be Smokey & the Bandit, Deliverance, Breaking In, The Longest Yard (1974), Starting Over and Sharky's Machine.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 06:28:23 PM »

Thanks, Holden! It's great to hear from you again. :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T