News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE MULE: Reviews and Features in the Media  (Read 5614 times)
honkytonkman

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »

For those who understand a bit french :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR40M4zNvjY
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:13:20 PM by honkytonkman » Logged
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2019, 05:05:00 PM »

For those who understand a bit french :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR40M4zNvjY

Thank you, Honkytonkman !
This video shows that Clint Eastwood is still popular and beloved in France.
One thing is not really correct though: someone said that Clint decided to hire cinematographer Yves Bélanger, because he liked his work in Xavier Dolan’s movies and wanted a change in lighting department.
That’s possible.
But I have read that Tom Stern wasn’t available during the shooting of The Mule.
So, camera operator Stephen Campanelli introduced Yves Bélanger to Clint.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2019, 11:47:10 PM »

It's also possible that Campanelli suggested Bélanger, and Clint checked him out by looking at the Dolan movies.

By the way, for those who (like me) can read French better than we understand it when it's spoken, you can turn on the closed captions in that video.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »

An interview from December has been posted on a Japanese site. It's not clear why this is only being posted now, but   in it, there's this exchange that I thought board members might be interested in:

Would it be fair to say "The Mule" will not be your last movie?

Oh yeah, definitely not. Definitely not my last.

I think he's likely thinking about his work as director, rather than as an actor, but it's still noteworthy.

Clint also says that he first learned about Leo Sharp from an article he read. It seems from his answer that the article led him to be intrigued about the story, which caused him to discover that a script for a movie version of Sharp's story existed. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got after reading his answer, and to me, that's new information.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/nhknewsline/backstories/clinteastwoodinter/

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2019, 08:35:39 PM »

Clint also says that he first learned about Leo Sharp from an article he read. It seems from his answer that the article led him to be intrigued about the story, which caused him to discover that a script for a movie version of Sharp's story existed. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got after reading his answer, and to me, that's new information.

I think you may be on to something. Here's the quote from the interview:

Is there a role out there you really want?

No. I mean I don't know what it is. I'm sure there are but I don't know offhand. I have no idea what it is. And it's more fun that way. For "The Mule", I read the article thinking it was a good thing, and the writer wrote this thing. And I thought, "OK let's try that."

And here is a quote from the journalist who wrote the "article":

Even with all my reporting, I couldn’t fully tell you what motivated Mr. Sharp. I don’t think anyone could, not even Leo Sharp himself.

That’s where Hollywood stepped in. Movie producers read my article, saw a spark and eventually sent it to Nick Schenk, a gifted screenwriter. From there, Mr. Schenk ran with it on his own, inventing an elaborate back story for the elderly drug mule, complete with a resentful daughter, a guilty conscience and a predilection for pecan pie. Fiction filled in the spaces where journalism could not go.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/reader-center/clint-eastwood-movie-drug-mule-sinaloa-cartel.html

And guess what? When Schenk was hired, a guy named Ruben Fleischer was already attached to direct:
After helping Robert Duvall earn his latest Oscar nomination for “The Judge,” screenwriter Nick Schenk has been hired by to adapt Sam Dolnick’s New York Times Magazine article “The Sinaloa Cartel’s 90-Year-Old Drug Mule” for Imperative Entertainment, TheWrap has learned.

Ruben Fleischer (“Zombieland”) is attached to direct the film, which will follow Leo Sharp, an award-winning horticulturist who secretly spent years working as one of the most trusted drug courier for Mexico’s powerful Sinaloa cartel. Sharp was 87 when he was arrested in 2011 for transporting hundreds of kilos of cocaine to drug dealers in and around Detroit.
https://www.thewrap.com/the-judge-writer-nick-schenk-to-adapt-elderly-drug-mule-tale-for-zombieland-director-exclusive/
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2019, 06:56:14 AM »

"From the director of Zombieland" would have been interesting. :D
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2019, 11:05:45 PM »

An interview from December has been posted on a Japanese site. It's not clear why this is only being posted now, but   in it, there's this exchange that I thought board members might be interested in:

I think he's likely thinking about his work as director, rather than as an actor, but it's still noteworthy.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/nhknewsline/backstories/clinteastwoodinter/

Thank for sharing the interview, AKA23 !
The Mule was released on March 8 in Japan. Maybe that’s why this interview just appeared some days ago.
I agree with Clint when he said that Letters from Iwo Jima is one of his better movies he has done.
Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima are two great movies in Clint’s filmography.
Financially, it wasn’t really successful, though Letters From Iwo Jima was successful in Japan.
Maybe because there wasn’t A-list actors and maybe because the latter film was in Japanese language.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2019, 11:23:08 PM »

"From the director of Zombieland" would have been interesting. :D

Actually, Ruben Fleisher is one of the executive producers of The Mule.
He also directed Gangster Squad, a Warner Bros movie with Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin, Emma Stone, Michael Peña and Nick Nolte. Gangster Squad is not a great picture but definitely watchable thanks to his cast.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2019, 12:27:55 PM »

Actually, Ruben Fleisher is one of the executive producers of The Mule.
He also directed Gangster Squad, a Warner Bros movie with Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin, Emma Stone, Michael Peña and Nick Nolte. Gangster Squad is not a great picture but definitely watchable thanks to his cast.

Cool, I didn't know he'd remained involved with the movie. Zombieland is a really good movie, and I've seen Gangster Squad too, which I also liked.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T