News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE MULE: Production Information and News  (Read 46769 times)
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #360 on: December 05, 2018, 06:20:53 AM »

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #361 on: December 05, 2018, 07:36:46 AM »

Another bit of story development  emerging. ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/05/reader-center/clint-eastwood-movie-drug-mule-sinaloa-cartel.html

:)

This story confirms what many of us have long suspected, that this really is more of a fictional story than a fact-based drama, which uses Leo Sharp's life as inspiration.

Even with all my reporting, I couldn’t fully tell you what motivated Mr. Sharp. I don’t think anyone could, not even Leo Sharp himself.

That’s where Hollywood stepped in. Movie producers read my article, saw a spark and eventually sent it to Nick Schenk, a gifted screenwriter. From there, Mr. Schenk ran with it on his own, inventing an elaborate back story for the elderly drug mule, complete with a resentful daughter, a guilty conscience and a predilection for pecan pie. Fiction filled in the spaces where journalism could not go.

Along the way, Mr. Schenk and his producers were generous enough to share drafts of the script with me and to indulge me in listening to my thoughts about the world of drug mules.

But “The Mule” is Mr. Schenk’s and Mr. Eastwood’s story. It goes well beyond the limits of my reporter’s notebook, as it should.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #362 on: December 05, 2018, 07:39:53 AM »

This is the first reaction to "The Mule" that I've read. It is from Jeff Wells Hollywood Elsewhere site.

A director-writer pally has seen Clint Eastwood‘s The Mule, and shared the following:

“I can confide this is B-level Eastwood in the tradition of Gran Torino — a star vehicle for the aging actor and compelling because of his iconic presence and star lineage.

“It’s also in the tradition of Space Cowboys in that it’s a well-made programmer with a certain emotional resonance based on longtime feelings about a star whose career is probably near the end.

“Seeing Eastwood play an actual old man is somewhat jarring to see — to his credit. Think of The Shootist in John Wayne‘s canon.

“The Mule isn’t as elegiac as Unforgiven, but is much more compelling than, say, Trouble With The Curve.

“Bradley Cooper adds some contemporary resonance as it’s compelling to see a current triple threat pursuing an older auteur, lending a unique subtext.

“And yes, there’s a song — ‘Don’t Let The Old Man In’ by Toby Keith.”

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2018/12/mule-share/
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #363 on: December 06, 2018, 10:52:48 AM »

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #364 on: December 06, 2018, 11:02:49 AM »

That is a lovely song and video. I am praying this movie is good!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:07:21 PM by AKA23 » Logged
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #365 on: December 06, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »

:)

Can't wait

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #366 on: December 06, 2018, 12:06:52 PM »

Lovely,  elegiac and soulful....video with the new song from the film.....

https://parade.com/722531/meganoneill/exclusive-premiere-toby-keiths-dont-let-the-old-man-in-featured-in-clint-eastwoods-the-mule/

:) :)
this is so powerful. I guess this is gonna be Clint's best film in years
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #367 on: December 06, 2018, 12:59:20 PM »

Judging by these videos, I can tell now what a great choice Yves Belanger was as The Mule's DoP. His work is superb.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #368 on: December 06, 2018, 02:00:39 PM »

this is so powerful. I guess this is gonna be Clint's best film in years

I honestly hope this is true. I want it to be a great movie, and from everything we've seen so far, it looks like it could be. But, they aren't screening it for critics, and that almost never happens with a movie that's good. I can't figure this movie out!  :(
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #369 on: December 06, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »

Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #370 on: December 06, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »

I honestly hope this is true. I want it to be a great movie, and from everything we've seen so far, it looks like it could be. But, they aren't screening it for critics, and that almost never happens with a movie that's good. I can't figure this movie out!  :(
this is so weird. this can not be worse than the 1517 to paris, you know. And there was a rumor that the studio gave a standing ovation for this one after seeing it for the first time. so how could it be that bad? someone really needs to explain that form WB after it's wide opening.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:32:59 PM by Saman Moradkhani » Logged
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #371 on: December 06, 2018, 03:35:48 PM »

Ouch !

https://mobile.twitter.com/VSiNLive/status/1070717434024230912

:-[
this is not good. I'm afraid this approach might kill the movie. But after all, who cares what critics say, they were gunning against Bohemian Rhapsody even before seeing it. I hate this feeling.
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #372 on: December 06, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #373 on: December 06, 2018, 06:08:18 PM »

This jazzy score sounds fantastic!
honkytonkman

View Profile Email
« Reply #374 on: December 06, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »

The music speaks for itself : if you have such a powerfull music, you can expect a powerfull movie. Never give a single credit to critics or to the strange strategy of WB.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #375 on: December 06, 2018, 09:01:12 PM »

I don't know what WB is doing or why, but with all this talent behind "The Mule," I refuse to believe that the film is bad. Eastwood is too great a talent to make a terrible movie with this cast, this crew, this story, and this music! Long live Eastwood and "The Mule!"  :D
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #376 on: December 06, 2018, 09:07:55 PM »

Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #377 on: December 06, 2018, 09:24:12 PM »

I don't know what WB is doing or why, but with all this talent behind "The Mule," I refuse to believe that the film is bad. Eastwood is too great a talent to make a terrible movie with this cast, this crew, this story, and this music! Long live Eastwood and "The Mule!"  :D

Exactly. Clint Eastwood is among the best of the American cinema for ever.
I will see The Mule. The critics can think what they want. They are free.
The Mule didn’t get Golden Globes nominations and perhaps it won’t get Oscars nominations.
And that would be ok. Gran Torino didn’t get Oscars nominations but it’s still one of the last great Clint movies.
I hope the same for The Mule. I hope to see a great movie with a great performance by Clint.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #378 on: December 06, 2018, 09:43:47 PM »

Lovely,  elegiac and soulful....video with the new song from the film.....

https://parade.com/722531/meganoneill/exclusive-premiere-toby-keiths-dont-let-the-old-man-in-featured-in-clint-eastwoods-the-mule/

Very good song.
We can hear country music in many Clint movies:
Kelly’s Heroes, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Every Which Way But Loose, Bronco Billy, Any Which Way You Can, Honkytonk Man, Pink Cadillac.
We can hear the « Sea of Heartbreak » song in Heartbreak Ridge and A Perfect World.

Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #379 on: December 06, 2018, 09:50:06 PM »

Scoring "The Mule" final cut video.....

https://mobile.twitter.com/sandovalarturo1/status/1070834043183382528?p=v

Thanks for sharing this video, Macpherson.
The music score sounds good.
With The Mule, Clint musically had some pretty good collaborations with Arturo Sandoval and Toby Keith.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T