News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE MULE: Production Information and News  (Read 18556 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2018, 06:34:24 PM »

This is great!  It’s been many a year since I’ve attended an Eastwood film opening day.  I’ll be first in line for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 06:35:35 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2018, 09:09:36 PM »

Holy mother of day.
Yessss

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/clint-eastwood-the-mule-1202959955/

From the Variety story:
The Warner Bros. thriller will open on Dec. 14 in wide release. Eastwood stars in the film and directs. “The Mule” will face off against Universal’s pricey sci-fi fantasy “Mortal Engines,” STX’s Jennifer Lopez rom-com “Second Act,” and Sony’s animated adventure “Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse.” The film is seen as more of a commercial effort. It’s not expected to be a major Oscar contender.

In an interview with Variety last month, Warner Bros. film chief Toby Emmerich said he deferred to Eastwood about when the film would be released.

“We’re waiting for Clint to show us the movie, and the way that’s worked for 25 years is whenever and wherever Clint says,” said Emmerich.
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2018, 12:25:57 AM »

From the Variety story:
So, what's your idea? Is it just gonna be a commercial effort or some Oscar bait? I do hear "Gran Torino" echo all the time about this project.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #223 on: September 28, 2018, 01:59:18 AM »

Oh Yeahhh !! Great news !!!
Obviously, a trailer and a poster should be available next month !!
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #224 on: September 28, 2018, 02:47:49 AM »

Oh Yeahhh !! Great news !!!
Obviously, a trailer and a poster should be available next month !!

The trailer will likely be released in conjunction with the release of another Warner Bros film. The next two major Warner Bros releases are "A Star is Born" on October 5th and "Fantastic Beasts" on November 16th.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #225 on: September 28, 2018, 03:34:26 AM »

The trailer will likely be released in conjunction with the release of another Warner Bros film. The next two major Warner Bros releases are "A Star is Born" on October 5th and "Fantastic Beasts" on November 16th.

Hi AKA23 !

You can check this website for the upcoming trailers:

https://trailer-track.com

Some trailers of movies released on December 14 are coming soon.

Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #226 on: September 28, 2018, 03:54:21 AM »

So, what's your idea? Is it just gonna be a commercial effort or some Oscar bait? I do hear "Gran Torino" echo all the time about this project.

According to Warner Bros, The Mule won’t be an Oscar contender.
Instead, Warner Bros estimates that The Mule could be a crowd-pleaser like Gran Torino.
Maybe this careful statement is a strategy to avoid a big disappointment and to surprise everybody.
If you remember, after Million Dollar Baby, almost all Clint Eastwood films were considered as serious Oscar contenders but only Letters from Iwo Jima and American Sniper got Best Picture nominations.
So, who knows ?
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #227 on: September 28, 2018, 04:01:31 AM »

Usually, the trailers of Clint Eastwood pictures come out two months before the pictures are released.

Hopefully, I would say that we could see The Mule’s trailer within the 15 days.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #228 on: September 28, 2018, 05:06:36 AM »

According to Warner Bros, The Mule won’t be an Oscar contender.
Instead, Warner Bros estimates that The Mule could be a crowd-pleaser like Gran Torino.
Maybe this careful statement is a strategy to avoid a big disappointment and to surprise everybody.
If you remember, after Million Dollar Baby, almost all Clint Eastwood films were considered as serious Oscar contenders but only Letters from Iwo Jima and American Sniper got Best Picture nominations.
So, who knows ?

The explanation that Warners expects this to be a crowd-pleaser and that it isn't intended to compete for any Oscars doesn't make sense given the release date. They are dating it for December 14th, which is Oscar season.

Warners can release the film at any time in 2019, and a summer release would be even more likely to make money than a December release would be. Opening it on the same weekend as "Spiderman" is clearly not designed for maximum box office impact, since "The Mule" can't possibly beat a tentpole comic book release at the box office.

I think Warner Bros clearly sees "A Star is Born" as it's main Oscar vehicle. Since that's already been well received, I think that's their Oscar horse at this point. But, there's a chance that they could be going for an Oscar nomination for Eastwood as Best Actor. Studios don't rush movies, which just finished filming, for release at the end of the year unless there's at least some interest in the film competing for the Oscars.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #229 on: September 28, 2018, 06:21:47 AM »

Warners can release the film at any time in 2019, and a summer release would be even more likely to make money than a December release would be. Opening it on the same weekend as "Spiderman" is clearly not designed for maximum box office impact, since "The Mule" can't possibly beat a tentpole comic book release at the box office.
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is an animated film and not likely going to be a huge hit, or at least not as big as the other Marvel films have been.
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #230 on: September 28, 2018, 07:31:45 AM »

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is an animated film and not likely going to be a huge hit, or at least not as big as the other Marvel films have been.

Last month I mentioned the threat of A Star is Born to The Mule chances in Oscars. And now, it seems pretty possible. But there is one factor we should always keep in mind, and that is the love of academy to Clint Eastwood. so who knows, maybe The Mule can be in for both best picture and best actor category.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #231 on: September 28, 2018, 07:44:13 AM »

Right now I'm anxious for the trailer which I expect it to be as thrilling as always but I'm really curious for the poster. Let's hope  for a drawing instead of the usual -these days - photos, although the Gran Torino images were intriguing.

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »

Oscars.... Who needs em !

I'm very excited about this project .. Clint was making great films long before the critics caught up...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2018, 12:56:30 PM »

Though I don't always agree with the opinions of Sasha Stone over at Awards Daily, she definitely knows her stuff when it comes to the Oscars. Here's her take on how Warners is positioning The Mule at this juncture, which makes sense to me:

Variety says the film is “not expected to be a major Oscar contender,” and by that, I presume they mean two things. The first is that WB doesn’t want any competition for A Star is Born, which they have on track for awards, and the second is that Clint Eastwood himself does not really like the Oscar circus, or so I’ve gathered over the years. He prefers to just show the movie to people and have them see it rather than run it through the filter of critics and bloggers.

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2018/09/27/clint-eastwood-joins-the-best-actor-race-with-the-mule-for-christmas-release/
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #234 on: September 28, 2018, 02:25:00 PM »

Sasha Stone is definitely knowledge about the Oscar race, and she's also quite a good writer. I like her, but I also often don't agree with her. She seems to view the Oscar race largely through the prism of racism, sexism, and the socio-political statements that she thinks that Oscar voters should be making by supporting one film or another. I personally don't think Oscar voters should be making decisions that way.

But, she does seem to be saying that Warners wants to release the film this year so that they can keep their options open. I think that's right. They're releasing it exactly one month before Oscar nomination ballots are due. That's not a coincidence. If "A Star Is Born" falters, and "The Mule" is critically acclaimed, they could start pushing "The Mule" and Eastwood for Best Actor, or other nominations.

At this point, I think it really is too early to be speculating about potential Oscar nominations. We haven't even seen a trailer yet, and we have no idea how Oscar voters might perceive the film.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:28:02 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #235 on: September 29, 2018, 01:45:49 AM »

Warner Bros. tells TheWrap that the mid-December slot was selected because it was seen as a spot where “The Mule” could stand out as an option for moviegoers looking for an adult drama.

https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-sets-clint-eastwoods-mule-december-release/
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #236 on: September 29, 2018, 01:32:07 PM »

Interesting comment from The Playlist....Bradley Cooper has championed that The Mule get a year - end release so Eastwood can join him on the awards circuit.

https://theplaylist.net/clint-eastwood-the-mule-oscar-20180927/

Friendship, appreciation of Clint 's performance,  or both?
Time will tell.....
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2018, 05:51:55 AM »

Be ready... be very ready for the first trailer expected to be released in coming days with A Star is Born;

https://trailer-track.com/2018/10/02/in-the-pipeline-first-trailer-for-clint-eastwoods-the-mule-arriving-in-the-coming-days/
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #238 on: October 02, 2018, 06:40:14 AM »

This is exciting news, and exactly what I would have done if I were in charge. Warners appears to be doing this right!
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #239 on: October 02, 2018, 07:19:02 AM »

This is exciting news, and exactly what I would have done if I were in charge. Warners appears to be doing this right!
Yeah. totally exciting. this one sounds different already. reminds me of 2014 and American Sniper.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T