News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE MULE: Production Information and News  (Read 31384 times)
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #340 on: November 30, 2018, 06:27:56 PM »

I guess we'll start hearing about the film in early December (from Monday), with interviews, special guests, featurettes, making of etc ...

Yes, I think so. I hope you’re right.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #341 on: November 30, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »

This whole The Mule case is so wierd. No one knows $#!t about it. Not a single critic has seen the movie so far, there is no trailer2 or behind the scence. No screening for NBR, NYCC or even AFI and Critic choice awards. This could be a major shot for Clint in award season; acting, directing and so on. are they afraid that the critics affect its box office chance? is it really that bad? why december release then? this is not normal.

It’s probably too soon to make a statement but I think that if The Mule was nominated at the Oscars, it would be in the Best Actor category. It seems that this award season belongs to A Star Is Born.
The best period time between Clint and the Oscars is from 2004 and 2007.
And of course, 1993 and 2015.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #342 on: November 30, 2018, 09:08:20 PM »

I have some fun facts to share. Fun fact #1, I just saw a new commercial for "The Mule" that I'd never seen before. It showed Clint driving in his truck while listening to some music, then was interspersed with the same montage of scenes that we've seen before. It felt more light hearted to me, and didn't have the tense voiceover. Fun fact #2, I watch tons of TV, and I've only seen commercials twice for this film, and both commercials appeared while I watched conservative leaning programs ("Fox News Sunday" and "Blue Bloods.")
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #343 on: December 01, 2018, 02:42:23 PM »

I just looked up The Mule on Google to check the rating for the movie (I'd thought I'd heard it was going to be rated R), and there's an IMDb link on the page that lists the user rating for the movie to be 4.3. I figured the trolls must be out early. But when I clicked it, here's the movie it linked me to: Mule Feathers starring Rory Calhoun and Don Knotts https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073416/

;D :D

Edit: And I do see the actual IMDb page for the movie doesn't allow user ratings yet, as I expected to be the case.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 02:47:30 PM by Christopher » Logged
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #344 on: December 02, 2018, 12:17:42 AM »

I just looked up The Mule on Google to check the rating for the movie (I'd thought I'd heard it was going to be rated R), and there's an IMDb link on the page that lists the user rating for the movie to be 4.3. I figured the trolls must be out early. But when I clicked it, here's the movie it linked me to: Mule Feathers starring Rory Calhoun and Don Knotts https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073416/

;D :D

Edit: And I do see the actual IMDb page for the movie doesn't allow user ratings yet, as I expected to be the case.

It's now open to rate  :)
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #345 on: December 03, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »

Update:
According to Kristopher Tapley,  HFPA saw "The Mule" and they liked it? "with a question mark"

Exact tweet: "So HFPA saw “The Mule.” I heard they liked it?"
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #346 on: December 03, 2018, 12:52:35 PM »

Update:
According to Kristopher Tapley,  HFPA saw "The Mule" and they liked it? "with a question mark"

Exact tweet: "So HFPA saw “The Mule.” I heard they liked it?"

Interesting.
Then, The Mule could get some Golden Globes nominations, which will be announced on Wednesday, December 12th.
We’ll have the first reactions soon.
Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #347 on: December 03, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »

Interesting.
Then, The Mule could get some Golden Globes nominations, which will be announced on Wednesday, December 12th.
We’ll have the first reactions soon.

My mistake: Golden Globes nominations will be announced on Thursday, December 6th.
Saman Moradkhani

View Profile Email
« Reply #348 on: December 03, 2018, 01:59:45 PM »

My mistake: Golden Globes nominations will be announced on Thursday, December 6th.

I hope they value Eastwood's work and legacy. The last man standing.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #349 on: December 03, 2018, 03:19:44 PM »

I hope they value Eastwood's work and legacy. The last man standing.

Saman, at this point, I think it's unlikely that the "Mule" is going to be nominated for any major Oscars. By this time in 2004, critics groups had already seen "Million Dollar Baby" and there was a lot of buzz that that film was going to be a major contender. We're hearing none of that for "The Mule."

That doesn't mean that the film isn't good. It could still be a great movie, just not one that the Academy wants to shower with Oscar nominations.
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #350 on: December 03, 2018, 04:53:52 PM »

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #351 on: December 03, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #352 on: December 03, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »

Sadly,  very likely so.

Okay. So, let me get this straight. Clint chose to make a movie, which was based on a true story, that featured an 80+ year old man becoming a drug mule for the Sinaloa drug cartel. I believe this is a Mexican drug cartel, isn't it? And, people are getting upset with Eastwood because he chose actors of Hispanic origin to portray said drug criminals, who presumably act in "threatening" ways? Do I have that right?

If so, this is insane. It's thinking like this that is destroying our country. Too many people focus on identity politics rather than offering solutions to the many actual problems facing our country :(

Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #353 on: December 04, 2018, 05:20:06 AM »

Okay. So, let me get this straight. Clint chose to make a movie, which was based on a true story, that featured an 80+ year old man becoming a drug mule for the Sinaloa drug cartel. I believe this is a Mexican drug cartel, isn't it? And, people are getting upset with Eastwood because he chose actors of Hispanic origin to portray said drug criminals, who presumably act in "threatening" ways? Do I have that right?

If so, this is insane. It's thinking like this that is destroying our country. Too many people focus on identity politics rather than offering solutions to the many actual problems facing our country :(

I agree with you, AKA23.
It was logical and realistic to cast actors of Hispanic origin because it’s about the Sinaloa drug cartel.
I think that being in a big production is a great opportunity for these actors.
Only Michael Peńa is well known.
For instance, it was also logical to cast actors of Asian origin in Crazy Rich Asians.
When Clint did Gran Torino, he logically hired real Hmong actors.
This is America today. It’s good to be aware of American melting-pot.
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #354 on: December 04, 2018, 07:37:01 AM »

Speaking of Michael Pena, the NY Times recently did a piece on him, and there's a brief portion of the interview about The Mule:

And now you’re playing yet another D.E.A. agent in “The Mule,” your second film with Clint Eastwood.

Same job, completely different characters. This one is a wisecracking guy. It’s almost, like, just me. Eastwood is the kind of director you’re just like, “What do you want me to do? I’ll do whatever.” When you’re in a TV show, you have to pretty much do whatever is on the page because there’s so many moving pieces. But with him you really get to explore.

Eastwood is one of those guys that cast me early on. Back in the day, I auditioned for “Million Dollar Baby,” and in his breakdowns there was none of that [racial categorization]. There was just like, “Here’s the character.” He’s always going by his own rules. There’s no labeling when it comes to a Clint Eastwood movie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/arts/television/netflix-narcos-michael-pena.html
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #355 on: December 04, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »

^ The paragraph that follows that quote gives some fascinating context and puts Eastwood's well-established tradition of casting the actor, not the ethnicity, in a clearer light:

By “breakdown,” you mean … ?

Fifteen years ago, it was really, really tough because there were these breakdowns for [casting] where it would specifically say, “Lead part: Caucasian; second part: Caucasian; Caucasian, Caucasian, Caucasian. And it wouldn’t be until the 10th part that it would be open to African-Americans. And then it would be up to “15: open to all ethnicities.” So the best that I could do back in the day was 15th place. I was offered gangster parts all the time. Nowadays that doesn’t exist.
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #356 on: December 04, 2018, 10:26:10 AM »

Hocine

View Profile Email
« Reply #357 on: December 04, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »

exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #358 on: December 04, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »

Fun fact #2, I watch tons of TV, and I've only seen commercials twice for this film, and both commercials appeared while I watched conservative leaning programs ("Fox News Sunday" and "Blue Bloods.")

I think I've seen the trailer on TV at least 20 times now..... many times either during a football game or an ESPN show.  But even tonight there was one during a rerun of The Office.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 03:35:50 PM by exit00 » Logged
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #359 on: December 05, 2018, 02:36:12 AM »

The Mule premiere.....Monday December 10th, Westwood CA

https://www.thewestwoodvillage.com/movie-premieres/

:)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T