News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who saw The 15:17 To Paris? Members' Comments (WARNING: SPOILERS ALLOWED!)  (Read 3522 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:09:04 PM »

With The 15:17 To Paris opening this week. It's time to get our traditional "members' comments" threads started.

In this thread, spoilers are allowed. Anyone who has seen The 15:17 To Paris and has more to say than can be safely posted in the "No Spoilers" thread, please give us your thoughts, comments or full-fledged review.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »

The main story line here about the three guys taking down a terrorist on board a train is a compelling one, but overall I was disappointed with the movie. At around 95 minutes it is too long. I would have liked to see it tightened up a bit.

There's too much detail about the trip leading up to the train ride to France. Perhaps a montage of some of that stuff would have been more effective. I'm also not sure why we spend so much time with the guys as kids.

Another random thing I noticed is that the film begins with a voice over of Anthony Sadler. He introduces himself and the other guys and then says that they'll go back to see how it all began... but the movie never does anything else with his voice over. Honestly I didn't want there to be a constant voice over in the movie, but I wasn't sure why it's in the film in the first place.

I also wasn't sure about the voice over used when Spencer is training. It's the part that is used in the trailer. Maybe I missed something there, but what was the context of that? Who was saying it? Where was it being said?

I like the whole train sequence and ending. I didn't mind the guys playing themselves in the movie. I wish the movie had turned out better for them.

This is the most negative review I've ever given an Eastwood movie here. :-\
Macpherson

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:35:57 PM »

I really liked this movie......but then again I like Midnight in the Garden of Good an Evil and Hereafter...This will be a marmite film and will divide opinion.......It is thematically fully in tune with Clint ' s other work but I admire his concept and approach here.....no resting on laurels, but experimenting and pushing the envelope.....what a maverick. I found it moving, uplifting and redemptive.  My thoughts are best summed up by the following perceptive reviews......

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/film-reviews/review-the-1517-to-paris-a-consummate-clint-eastwood-film/article37900271/

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/456239/1517-paris-clint-eastwoods-everyday-heroes-other-america

:)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 10:29:40 PM »

I saw the film last weekend and I did something I haven't done since been on the board and that was read reviews before seeing the film. I used to go three months or so before a Clint film was released here without looking at reviews or member comments. Luckily nowdays, the films are released at the same times as the U.S, so I don't have to wait.

Anyway after reading Christopher's review and a couple online, I had convinced myself I wouldn't like the film but I did. It isn't the best film Clint has ever made but for what it is, it's fine. A review on IMDB claimed it wasn't Hollywood enough and should have thrown in some non facts to bolster the story but that was one of the things I liked. My wife called it "A European feel good film". No big budget explosions or bombastic soundtrack. Just a nice film. Stick to the facts and at an hour an a half, I didn't think it dragged at all.

I got a little distracted early in the film with a poster of Letters From Iwo Jima in one scene and one of the guys wearing a Pale Rider T-Shirt in another, thinking it was going to be like that all the way through but I didn't notice any other Clint references after that.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised.

4/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »

I noticed the Letters from Iwo Jima poster on the wall, but didn't notice the Pale Rider T-shirt.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »

Few thoughts:

I've had morning after drinking movements better then this movie.

The acting was painful to watch.

Did Tommy Wiseau direct this?

No tension at all during the movie and these guys lived extremely boring lives apparently.

I was waiting for the Benny Hill theme during all the Italy selfie stick garbage.

There we no good in this thing. Not at all. This is easily Clint's worst movie that he's ever made.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 08:59:32 PM »

Cmon Brendan ... tell us how you really felt! :D

Seriously, if a longtime Clint lover like you thinks it was that bad ... it makes me curious to see it. Worse than The Rookie, huh?

Maybe I'll catch it on the holiday Monday.

(Nice to see you posting again, by the way, even it it's to tell us this!)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »

KC, I recently watched The Rookie and got some enjoyment out of it. So, yes, I'd rather do a double bill of The Rookie and Paint Your Wagon for 24 hours straight then watch this one again.

Unless... I can make a drinking game out of 1517 2 Frenchland.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »

How would the drinking game work? Every time they take a selfie ... drink? :D
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »

Oh my God, KC.... That'd be a trip to the hospital for alcohol poisoning. Maybe a drink for every three selfie photos. And a shot for every time the main guy questions if they should goto Paris (the attempt at building tension in the movie).

Double shot for when the main guy all of a sudden just lights up a cigarette even though he never mentions anything about smoking during the course of the movie nor do we ever see him smoking up until that point.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 02:02:27 PM »

Seriously, if a longtime Clint lover like you thinks it was that bad ... it makes me curious to see it.
Were you not planning on seeing it? Or perhaps waiting for DVD?
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 03:04:59 AM »

A year ago Mr Eastwood was praised for Sully,a film based on an actual event which took place a couple of years ago.Everybody knew the story around the accident and its happy ending.Even so the director managed to provide his public with agony for the fate of his main hero, partly based in Mr Hanks convincing performance.
Now Mr Eastwood makes a step forward providing us another film based on actual events a couple of years ago but, this time without casting experienced  actors in order to use the real heroes ,who prevailed a terrorist attack during a 10 minute incident.
I saw the film and I liked it.The acting was solid ,the mood was relaxed & of course the main Eastwood patterns and problematic was all around .Not a masterpiece, not even among Mr Eastwood's great films but, this one is his greatest effort, so far at least. He exceeded himself. Can't think of another director who can make a movie without professional actors and without script (more or less).I can't also imagine what he'll try next .I suppose  he'll try to exceed himself once more .Suppose he's able to make a movie out of filming the construction of building or a film without using any actors at all ,professionals or not.
Bravo Mr Eastwood for not slowing down.
7/10

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 09:33:36 PM »

Went to see this movie earlier today with my dad. After the movie was over my dad tells me that Eastwood is a genius. Using the real life guys was a great idea. At least we think so.  I thought they did okay. I mean the movie is not intended to be a masterpiece. Not intended to win a movie award and it's not intended to be an overly entertaining movie. It's a movie about three childhood friends who through there life experiences leading up to that moment prepared them for this situation. It's a movie about heroism and selflessness. I mean they saved the lives of everyone on that train. They deserve to have a movie made about there lives and that heroic moment. I mean to run at a man pointing a gun at you that's flat out courageous. Don't know many people that would do something like that. Both my dad and I enjoyed the movie for what it was. And to celebrate there journey to saving the lives of those passengers. So personally I think Eastwood made the right decision to cast the real life guys. And I'm glad he made this movie. Not all movies have to be overly entertaining for them to be enjoyed. And I enjoyed watching these three men develop into the true American heroes they became. The only thing I wondered about was why Spencer Stones two friends took so long to get up and help him. I thought they waited a tad too long to help him. I know Spencer was the most trained and prepared one but I thought the other two should have helped him a little quicker. But it's easy to say that not being caught up in the moment like that.
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 04:17:43 PM »

I really have no interest in this movie. To be honest, I don't really expect too much anymore from Eastwood's movies. The guy is going to be 88 this year. He's already done a ton of great work and he's The King Of Hollywood. No one has lasted as long as he has.  I think Eastwood just picks films now that appeal to him and if people go and see it fine, It's a bonus. Realistically since Gran Torino with the exception of American Sniper and Sully, (which was ok) none of his movies have been box office hits. To me 15:17 would of been better off as an HBO movie.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:51:35 PM by Perry » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »

I saw this last night with an uncle and a friend. 

The best, most descriptive adjective that comes to mind is bland.  For the most part, the viewing experience was akin to watching a boring promotional tourism video for Amsterdam, Venice and Germany.   

For the life of me, as I sit here writing, I am trying to find something, anything positive to say about this film.  Im cognizant of the strong possibility of offending others that enjoyed it.  Ive been down that road before by stating to me, any movie he directs without starring in, is not a true Clint Eastwood movie.  While my opinion has remained unchanged in that regard, seeing J. Edgar in 2011 changed my decision to discontinue seeing his movies that he only directs.  In the interim, it was great seeing him appear on screen again in Trouble With The Curve and Im hoping The Mule will become a reality. 

The 15:17 To Paris shakes my faith a little, but not much.  I have learned to have no expectations whatsoever when it comes to Eastwood directed,  non-starring movies and will continue to go out of my way to see them on the big screen as long as he makes them.

The acting by the three main characters came across as believable.  Having the real life heroes portray themselves added a good sense of realism that may not have come across with seasoned actors. 

I enjoyed learning about how the events unfolded that day on the train in this format.  As with Sully, I initially learned of the news like many others, via media coverage.  Id say Mr. Eastwood definitely has a knack, a talent even, for re-telling these stories without sensationalizing them. 

I remember Clint once saying that hed continue making movies as long as there were stories to tell.  God Bless you, sir.  Keep em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:21:25 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »

Coming into the weekend the movie has grossed $35,398.000. Maybe it will make $25,000,000 to break even from a Foreign box office combined for a $60 mill budget........ I doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:53:29 PM by Perry » Logged
Clint Eastwood #1 Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 08:02:35 PM »

Yea he's  almost 88.  He doesn't have to prove anything to anybody anymore.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 08:11:34 PM »

Yea he's  almost 88.  He doesn't have to prove anything to anybody anymore.
Very true!  No matter what Clint does in the future he has proven himself. For me Clint is the greatest all around film maker of all time. Factoring in his acting and directing he's the greatest of all time.
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 08:22:28 PM »

I saw this last night with an uncle and a friend. 

The best, most descriptive adjective that comes to mind is bland.  For the most part, the viewing experience was akin to watching a boring promotional tourism video for Amsterdam, Venice and Germany.   

For the life of me, as I sit here writing, I am trying to find something, anything positive to say about this film.  Im cognizant of the strong possibility of offending others that enjoyed it.  Ive been down that road before by stating to me, any movie he directs without starring in, is not a true Clint Eastwood movie.  While my opinion has remained unchanged in that regard, seeing J. Edgar in 2011 changed my decision to discontinue seeing his movies that he only directs.  In the interim, it was great seeing him appear on screen again in Trouble With The Curve and Im hoping The Mule will become a reality. 

The 15:17 To Paris shakes my faith a little, but not much.  I have learned to have no expectations whatsoever when it comes to Eastwood directed,  non-starring movies and will continue to go out of my way to see them on the big screen as long as he makes them.

The acting by the three main characters came across as believable.  Having the real life heroes portray themselves added a good sense of realism that may not have come across with seasoned actors. 

I enjoyed learning about how the events unfolded that day on the train in this format.  As with Sully, I initially learned of the news like many others, via media coverage.  Id say Mr. Eastwood definitely has a knack, a talent even, for re-telling these stories without sensationalizing them. 

I remember Clint once saying that hed continue making movies as long as there were stories to tell.  God Bless you, sir.  Keep em coming!

Jed don't worry about offending anyone who might have liked it. Everybody has there opinion and that's what this site is about. Expressing your thoughts and feelings on various Eastwood films. This film is not entertaining and won't get any nominations. I didn't go to the theatre expecting to be overly entertained. I went to see a film that Clint directed and to see the real heroes play themselves. And to see there story and how they saved all those passengers on that train. I personally enjoyed it. I enjoyed there journey they went thru that prepared them for that day. Again it's not an extremely entertaining movie and not a masterpiece. But I thought it was interesting. Just my opinion only.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:11:56 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 01:19:07 AM »

Personally I enjoyed it. I thought it was deliberately mundane to emphasize the reality of it all for three regular guys on holiday.

I thought the three leads themselves were also fine. Their dialogue however was not. A terrible script in my opinion and it was the words they said, not how they said it, which came across so poorly.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T