News: Now in post-production: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who saw The 15:17 To Paris? Members' Comments (WARNING: SPOILERS ALLOWED!)  (Read 3068 times)
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 03:55:47 PM »

Personally I enjoyed it. I thought it was deliberately mundane to emphasize the reality of it all for three regular guys on holiday.

I thought the three leads themselves were also fine. Their dialogue however was not. A terrible script in my opinion and it was the words they said, not how they said it, which came across so poorly.

Very good points palooka. I didn't even think about it being deliberately mundane to emphasize the reality of it for three regular guys. That's a great point. And I too thought the three guys did okay. Especially not having any acting experience. I mean there heroes.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 06:40:03 AM »

Jed don't worry about offending anyone who might have liked it. Everybody has there opinion and that's what this site is about. Expressing your thoughts and feelings on various Eastwood films. This film is not entertaining and won't get any nominations. I didn't go to the theatre expecting to be overly entertained. I went to see a film that Clint directed and to see the real heroes play themselves. And to see there story and how they saved all those passengers on that train. I personally enjoyed it. I enjoyed there journey they went thru that prepared them for that day. Again it's not an extremely entertaining movie and not a masterpiece. But I thought it was interesting. Just my opinion only.

Thank you.  I appreciate that.  Itís just sad that I no longer look forward to his new projects because he doesnít star in them.  Well, such is life.  All good things come to an end.  Or do they?  Thereís the possibility of his starring in ďThe MuleĒ, which pleases me to no end.  When my kids are old enough, Iíll be curious to know their opinion on the movies heís starred in.  That will, possibly, be a new experience.  They may not be interested and thatís okay.  If they are, it could be fun.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:41:47 AM by Jed Cooper » Logged
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 06:58:57 PM »

The movie as of today has made $54,780,000 from combined worldwide box office receipts. So in hindsight the movie will break even.......barely...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:00:56 PM by Perry » Logged
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 01:13:45 PM »

Hated the film.I simply do not get it why on earth Eastwood wanted to this film and especially why use amateur (if real lifeheroes) actors (??).
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 02:43:51 PM »

"The Mule" is next, so let's just move on from this movie. It's a much more promising project, and Eastwood will be acting again, so you know that will be entertaining. Almost all the movies that he acts in are more enjoyable than the movies in which he only directs for us fans.

I think Eastwood likely wanted to honor the heroes and did that by making a movie that likely no other working filmmaker would have been interested in making. 
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 10:14:26 PM »

I thought the three leads themselves were also fine. Their dialogue however was not. A terrible script in my opinion and it was the words they said, not how they said it, which came across so poorly.

As I was watching, I kept thinking it was just awful dialogue. But it really made me wonder if professional actors wouldn't have made that awful dialogue sound believable and natural.

I just finally saw this tonight. Honestly, I didn't like it. When it comes to the trio of movies that Cint has made recently about ordinary American men in extraordinary circumstances doing heroic things, this was a much lessor effort than Sully and American Sniper. I'm going to agree with Perry that this feels like an HBO movie, or a Netflix original. Too bad, but now at least it's good to know we have something else to look forward to with The Mule.

Rating:  4/10.  Best part:  The Venetian restaurant scenery. I want to go there now. Worst:  The endless selfies, just ridiculous. 
Clint Eastwood #1 Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2018, 03:26:23 AM »

I haven't seen the movie yet.  I'll probably watch it in the next few weeks.  It's finally up On-Demand.  I've seen all the negative reviews.  How would everyone rank this movie against Clint's other movies? Is it the worst movie he ever made?  Because even his bottom of the barrel movies ( which are only about 3 or 4) I can still watch and get something out of them.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2018, 08:10:38 AM »

No, it is not the worst movie he ever made. Not until Alan Smithee fesses up and admits it was actually he who directed The Rookie.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 09:05:32 AM »

I don't know, KC. If you forced me to make a a choice between whether I wanted to watch "The Rookie" again, or "15:17 to Paris," I think I'd pick "The Rookie." At least Clint was in that one!  ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »

Agreed. C'mon Rookie is an acting masterpiece compared to this.

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »

Agreed, and I get why he made "The Rookie." He was trying to kind of capitalize on the action comedy genre that had become very popular with movies like "Lethal Weapon." It did not turn out well, but the motivation made sense given what was popular at that time.
Clint Eastwood #1 Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »

The Rookie is no masterpiece  but it does have great special effects.  I actually like it more than when I first watched it.  The other 2  at the bottom IMO is Pink Cadillac and City Heat but I can find things in them I like. The one movie I have a hard time following is Bird.  I so wanted to like it and the music is good and the death scene at the end is great but I just have a hard time following it.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2018, 06:58:35 PM »

Clint didn't direct either Pink Cadillac or City Heat. Since he didn't act in The 15:17 To Paris, we have to be talking about his directorial career here.

Clint Eastwood #1 Fan, I get why you don't like Bird (it IS hard to follow, and if you don't like jazz, you might wonder why the characters are worth caring about). But a lot of people consider it a masterpiece. Nobody is saying that about The 15:17 To Paris ... or The Rookie, either.

EDIT: I just noticed you said "the music is great," so I can't accuse you of not liking jazz! ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:01:41 PM by KC » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 10:52:24 PM »

I've only ever seen Pink Cadillac once (when it first arrived on video) After all this time I think I'd give it a re watch.. Nice car..
I think Bird is one of Clints best directorial efforts... It is tricky to watch, a bit like Jazz is to listen to at times...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »

I might go as far as to say that 15:17 to Paris is the worst Clint has made. As far as The Rookie goes, I've always found it to be fun.
Clint Eastwood #1 Fan

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »

I just finished watching it.  I liked about 2/3rds of it.  I liked the beginning part and the end.  The only part that I thought dragged the movie down was the trip to Europe.  Very boring.  Overall I enjoyed it.  Have definitively seen worst movies.  I don't know were I'd rank this with all of Eastwood's films.  It would probably be near the bottom but mainly because most of his movies are just good to great.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 03:00:31 AM »

I finally saw this and I really didn't like it. It has "heart," if that's worth anything, but I honestly think this is Clint's worst movie he's ever made, though obviously The Rookie is pretty weak. But I imagine I'll watch The Rookie again, which I've already seen several times, if only because it's so unmemorable I can never recall the actual plot, but I can't say I'll ever watch this again. Just really bland, amateurish dialogue, made all the more wooden by these non-actors. I hate saying that, because these guys really were heroes and they did save so many lives, and I don't hold it against them that they can't act, but I do hold it against Clint. If he was going to make that choice to use them in the movie, he should have spent a lot more time making sure they came across as more natural. It's also the most uninspired directing I've ever seen from Clint. I can't recall a single moment where it felt like a Clint Eastwood movie, beyond the typical themes. I quite liked Sully, and was very impressed with the directing in that one, so I doubt he's lost his touch, but with this film he did.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone outside of this board who isn't a huge fan that needs to see everything he's ever done. Otherwise, go and rewatch one of his underappreciated films instead.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2018, 06:52:14 PM »

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone outside of this board who isn't a huge fan that needs to see everything he's ever done. Otherwise, go and rewatch one of his underappreciated films instead.

I couldnít agree more, Doug.  Hot damn, you hit the nail on the head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T